Bishop

CoC in the Great Lakes - Need help

Bishop

So I was doing a bit of research on copper mines on Isle Royale, seeing where I might like to locate the temple at.  I came across a map showing the different mines and sample locations done on the island and discovered the perfect red herring.  What players could resist checking out a set of mines called the Wendigo Mines?  The mines were established about 40 years after the period I am planning, but I think a little creative license would be allowed in such an instance.

OFR_03_276_Figure2.pdf

Dante7

Refreshing myself on the Voormis led me to the Gnophkeh and then to Rhan-Tegoth.  Now there is an entity that hasn't been over-exposed in the Mythos. Certainly a Great Old One most players will not be overly familiar with.  It could be a good entity to choose.

Rhan would be interesting. In the 20s he's in England (London?), then in the 90s he ends up in Montreal, then after that in a fictional city in California, but there's that nebulous gap of seven decades where he could turn up about anywhere.

Michigan...the only published CoC scenario that I can think (if you've seen my most recent thread I've started a project of trying to find mythos material set in every state in the USA) involves werewolves, which, oddly, some writers like to connect with Shub Niggurath and/or Mormo.

Bishop

Rhan would be interesting. In the 20s he's in England (London?), then in the 90s he ends up in Montreal, then after that in a fictional city in California, but there's that nebulous gap of seven decades where he could turn up about anywhere.

What scenarios / timelines are you using for these dates?  I would be curious to see them.  If nothing else, just to see how Rhan is used and described.

nclarke

I would guess Horror in the Museum for London.

Dante7

What scenarios / timelines are you using for these dates?  I would be curious to see them.  If nothing else, just to see how Rhan is used and described.

Horror in the Museum, the story where Rhan first appears, to begin with.  He also turns up in At Your Door (the Montreal/California appearances) and in Bookhounds of London, and the museum where he was kept also gets cited in one of the World War Cthulhu books (I can't recall if that overlaps with the Cthulhu Britannica London book or not- they have a lot of crossover there) . His throne in Alaska is also referenced...somewhere...I can't recall off of the top of my head right now. Modiphius and Pelgrane have gotten more mileage out of him than Chaosium has.

Bishop

Thanks, I will have to check those out. 

The_Tatterdemalion_King

He also turns up in At Your Door (the Montreal/California appearances)

At Your Door features Toronto, not Montreal. (You might be mixing it up with Horror's Heart, featuring Chaugnar Faugn.)

Dante7

At Your Door features Toronto, not Montreal. (You might be mixing it up with Horror's Heart, featuring Chaugnar Faugn.)

Yeah- my fault, you're correct, I was conflating it with Horror's Heart. 

rmeints

So I was doing a bit of research on copper mines on Isle Royale, seeing where I might like to locate the temple at.  I came across a map showing the different mines and sample locations done on the island and discovered the perfect red herring.  What players could resist checking out a set of mines called the Wendigo Mines?  The mines were established about 40 years after the period I am planning, but I think a little creative license would be allowed in such an instance.

Between 1843 and 1855 there were a number of active copper mines on Isle Royale, but as you say, not the Wendigo Mine. A number of the mines were prospected by looking for ancient Indian dig sites. Those were often further mined by more modern equipment.

Bishop

Between 1843 and 1855 there were a number of active copper mines on Isle Royale, but as you say, not the Wendigo Mine. A number of the mines were prospected by looking for ancient Indian dig sites. Those were often further mined by more modern equipment.

That is correct. The first modern mines were established in the 1840s.  Most didn't last long but they kept trying up until around the turn of the century.  It is one of the prehistoric mines where the temple would be established.

rylehNC

This thread is getting more and more interesting.

Bishop

So this is my recent history for the community of worshipers of Rhan-Tegoth up to when the investigators would get involved.  I will start putting things under a Spoiler heading in case this ever makes it to some kind of print.

A report by Charles T. Jackson, U.S. geologist, 1847: "The company now employs about fifty men, and has made great improvements at Rock Harbor erecting good buildings, cleared a large area of land, made a good garden, through which a brook flows, and is crossed in the middle by a good bridge. The soil is fertile, producing most of the ordinary culinary vegetables in abundance. It is probable, if mining operations should prove advantageous on Isle Royale, that a village will spring up in this place; and, since the improvements alluded to were first made by Mr. Leander Ransom, of Cleveland, the place is properly named, in his honor, 'Ransom'."

It was abandoned 2 years later.

A group of miners squat at the site in 1853 and actually makes it viable. It turns out there is a larger vein of copper to mine with a bit of silver as well. Then some of the miners bring in their families and the predicted village grows up around the mine. About the time the first families arrive, the temple of Rhan-Tegoth is discovered by one of the miners. He gets the help of another miner to start restoring the temple to worship their new god. A sacrifice is made that stirs the god, which in turns starts influencing the rest of the community into worship. The sacrifice was a native Ojibwa who was attempting to warn against the worship of such a being. Later, a Jesuit priest from Sault St. Mary visits the island, ministering to the mining communities and discovers Ransom and its pagan worshipers. The priest is driven insane by his encounter with Rhan-Tegoth. He flees to the nearby Siskowit Mining Company outpost and later shipped to Copper Harbor where he remains confined for his own protection.

Most of the other mines on the Isle are struggling to be productive and tensions grow between them and the Ransom mining community because of its marginal success. Especially between it and the Siskowit Mining Company mines which are only a couple miles down the shore line from the village. There have been a few scuffles between miners as well as some legal action against Ransom by Siskowit Mining Company because of its possible illegal use of the mines. Because of the rising tensions, Ransom made a deal with a Timber Baron to use his ships to haul its ore to the mainland, since the other mining company’s shipping won’t deal with them. There have also been whispers of miners of rival companies going missing near the village, but of course there is no proof. Those disappearances have become sacrifices to Rhan-Tegoth.

I am attempting to mirror some of the events of the Beaver-Mackinac War and James Strang with his group of Mormans. There is a level of mundane, but serious, problems to deal with over a more sinister one.

Also if anyone knows the history or legal processes about squatting and claim jumping, please chime in. I have a few questions.

yronimoswhateley

It's perhaps an obvious place to start that you may have already tried, but just in case, Wikipedia's articles on Squatting are surprisingly evocative and interesting - you might want to pay special attention to the articles on North America and the United Kingdom's history with squatting (it sounds like the setting could involve either or both the U.S. and Canada, and of course both of those countries' legal concept of property descends from the U.K., where it would have already been refined by centuries of trial-and-error and experience).  I think the central conflict where squatting and claim-jumping is concerned begins with a question of whether rights to the property and the property itself have been abandoned, and devolves from there around who has the most legitimate claim to the rights and property after that.

Some related concepts described in nice detail in Wikipedia that might inspire useful ideas here, or at least for general CoC plot brainstorming include Marine Salvage, Land Claim, and Mineral Rights.

Bishop

Thanks, I will be checking those out for sure.  I have been actually rather amused what things I have been learning about since I started this project. 19th Century copper mining, US expansion, Greats Lakes and Plains Native Americans,  timber pirates, Iron Hulled Ships, paddle boats, and now squatting and claim jumping.  Plus the local histories.   Besides a few uses of creative license, I haven't been changing much in the real history and facts about it all.  So far all the locations have been real. Even some of my NPCs will be real people. I have been enjoying the challenge of making it as historically accurate as I can but still keep it playable and hopefully fun.

Bishop

There isn't much progress at this point on the project. I am buying a house and waiting to pick up a few books to continue my research with.  But I thought I would share my bibliography so far in case anyone would be interested in it. Unfortunately none of these are in the local library network, so I am having to purchase them.  And please feel free to recommend anything that you feel would be relevant.

• Guardian of the Great Lakes by Bradley A. Rodgers  - This is the primary source of information about the USS Michigan and the Timber Pirates. Very entertaining and informative read.
  • Steamboats in Dakota Territory: Transforming the Northern Plains by Tracy Porter  - This was a rather dry read.  Covers more about the history of the Dakotas, colonial expansion and impact upon Native-American tribes.  I was hoping for a bit more meat about the steamboats, but still a good introductory history lesson on the area.
  • City of the Rapids: Sault Ste. Marie's Heritage by Bernie Arbic - This should be arriving this week and i will give an opinion later.
  • Fort Clark and Its Indian Neighbors: A Trading Post on the Upper Missouri by W. Raymond Wood - This is my next to purchase
  • History of the Ojibway People, Second Edition by William W. Warren
  • Minong: The Good Place-Ojibwe and Isle Royale by Timothy Cochrane
  • The Steamboat Montana and the Opening of the West: History, Excavation, and Architecture by Bradley A. Rodgers  - A book by the same author of Guardians of the Lake. I am hoping it will give some more meat about steamboats even though the time period is a bit later than what I am writing about.

I have dived into quite of few wikis of course and other websites covering various topics, but I wanted to stick to books here. If anyone wants my bookmark list for the project send me a private message.

joe adams

There isn't much progress at this point on the project. I am buying a house and waiting to pick up a few books to continue my research with.  But I thought I would share my bibliography so far in case anyone would be interested in it. Unfortunately none of these are in the local library network, so I am having to purchase them.  And please feel free to recommend anything that you feel would be relevant.

I would add Pirates, Crooks, & Killers: The Dark Side of the Great Lakes by Frederick Stonehouse. He's local to Marquette, MI and has written several books on the area.

Bishop

I would add Pirates, Crooks, & Killers: The Dark Side of the Great Lakes by Frederick Stonehouse. He's local to Marquette, MI and has written several books on the area.

Thanks! I will definitely be looking that one up. 

I just looked up his other books. He is a treasure trove of Great Lakes history, including books about hauntings around the Great Lakes.  

blackstone

Living in Ohio, there's alot about the state that can be inspiration for a CoC campaign. Take a look at this:

http://www.weirdus.com/states/ohio/index.php

excellent basic info on weird stuff in the Buckeye State. Rest of the web site has the rest of the US.

neorxnawang

I have it on good authority (ahem) that if it ever comes out (ahem) there are several scenarios in Fear's Sharp Little Needles (forthcoming from Stygian Fox) set in Ohio and interlinked. Some crazy guy plopped a new Mythos race and cult in and around the Village of Arcanum in Darke County, because, the name and they crop up three times at least. Also if you don't have it yet, in Stygian Fox's The Things We Leave Behind, Ladybug is set in Cleveland and Forget Me Not north of Detroit. #shamelessplug.

Bishop

I have it on good authority (ahem) that if it ever comes out (ahem) there are several scenarios in Fear's Sharp Little Needles (forthcoming from Stygian Fox) set in Ohio and interlinked. Some crazy guy plopped a new Mythos race and cult in and around the Village of Arcanum in Darke County, because, the name and they crop up three times at least. Also if you don't have it yet, in Stygian Fox's The Things We Leave Behind, Ladybug is set in Cleveland and Forget Me Not north of Detroit. #shamelessplug.

I will have to check that all out. Thanks for the heads up. And if I ever complete this thing, maybe I will pitch it too Stygian Fox if it feeds into a Great Lakes Region themed collection.