CthulhuBob

Vintage Pens

CthulhuBob

I'm trying to find cool pens for my players character's to own. I seem to recall one that drew ink by raising a lever, but now I can't find such a thing on the Internet. Can anyone point me at this and/or other cool, vintage pens?

Insanity

Lever filling pens were common during the early 20th century, but modern fountain pens use an internal cartridge.

Lovecraft used a waterman pen.

Try searching for lever fill fountain pens.

nclarke

Some of us knew immediately of what he spoke having been alive longer than we like to admit. I well remember those side lever action pens and tend to think of the plastic cartridge version as 'new-fangled'. Does that make me vintage?

Nigel

PoC

If you find a lever-filler fountain pen, this is how you fill them:

A bit more on HPL and fountain pens.

numtini

If you have a desire to get a lever filler and are willing to settle for the 1950s, the Esterbrooks are reasonably priced, around $50 for refurbished one with the ink bladder replaced. Check ebay and there's a guy who's been selling them forever. Search for "esterbrook choose color."

AndreasDavour

You have to pay $50 for an Estie these days? I love those, and have collected them for some years. Sadly I now hunt for the rare ones and had not kept up with prices it sounds like. Esterbrooks are great pens, and with a robust design they have often lasted well.

HPL did use a Watermans, of which I have a few. Sadly none of the models he favoured.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now