MartyJopson

The Two-Headed Serpent - Keeper Diaries

MartyJopson

Hello to all the Yoggie's out there. The time has come for...

post-2-0-17108300-1495917912_thumb.jpg

We have talked at some length on Breakfast Club and News from Pnakotus about this Pulp Cthulhu campaign that I've been running and the time has come for us to begin releasing episodes. Episode 0 (Character Creation) and Episode 1 (Shot in the Boreal) will go out soon. To whet your appetite I give you this:

willmize

Any adventure that contains the term "combat accountant", I am all in.

KnygathinZhaum

Looking forward to it. I just ran my first session of THS this Saturday. Remind me to tell you sometime...about the time the hard boiled detective fumbled a roll against raining, burning, flaming monkey butt.

MartyJopson

And so it begins...

The first session of our Two Headed Serpent campaign is now ready to be heard! You can get hold of the files and the RSS feed over in the Silver Lodge portion of the forums here.

[File retired.]

And for completists there is also the character creation session (episode 00). Take a listen, watch my Keeper Diaries and let us know what you think.

[File retired.]

Here is my Keeper Diary for Episode 00 - Character Creation

And here is the Keeper Diary for Episode 01 - Shot in the Boreal

ScottDorward

Those themed notebooks are amazing! I may have to steal the idea next time I run a lengthy campaign.

MartyJopson

Thank you Scott. It has added a whole new level of stuff we need on the table. Aside from pens, dice and the usual paraphernalia - I now need to stock the table with glue sticks, sticky tape and scissors (including a left handed pair for the sinister players). A bit more work, but they all remember what they were doing in the last session at least...

MikeM

Very good!

BigJackBrass

Listening now. Is there a player/character list anywhere? I think I must be missing it despite clicking all of the links I can find.

KnygathinZhaum

Whoever's going ape with the pencils at the beginning should sit on the side of the table opposite the mike next time! I actually couldn't listen because it triggered my misophonia so intensely. :?

MartyJopson

Just for you Jon - player characters are as follows (with character sheets):

Paul - Reginald Fawcett - Accountant

Reginald.pdf

Robin - Charles "Chuck" Bennett - Reporter

Chuck.pdf

George - Juan "el Espectacular" Herrero - Athlete (bull fighter)

Juan.pdf

Poppy - Marco Toscano - Photographer

Marco.pdf

Juliet - Dr Doris Mayfair - Doctor of Medicine

Doris.pdf

Note the character sheets are the fancy auto-complete ones from Chaosium and need Adobe Reader (on a Mac Preview can't cope with them). Also note these have been updated with the first set of experience checks.

Whoever's going ape with the pencils at the beginning should sit on the side of the table opposite the mike next time! I actually couldn't listen because it triggered my misophonia so intensely. :?

Yeah - sorry about that. That was either Poppy or George colouring something in. It was distracting to everyone - and just as I was getting to my big gunshot moment too. I gave them a stern look that seemed to stop them. I shall maybe sit them further away from the mic in future, and/or warn them to be aware of the microphone

BigJackBrass

You're a thoroughly wonderful person, thank you :) That makes things much clearer.

Edit: you're right about those character sheets. I'll have to wait until I'm back on the PC to view them, as all my Android PDF readers state that they are not actually PDF file.

lagrippe

Those themed notebooks are amazing! I may have to steal the idea next time I run a lengthy campaign.

In a somewhat similar vein, for our BtMoM campaign I gave each player two copies of a Starkweather-Moore field notebook (that I made using an adaptation of Mike Fanara's fantastic handouts).

They worked just as intended and copious notes were indeed taken by all!

MartyJopson

So, it would seem that if you give them fancy notebooks they will write stuff down. Which means they may remember what they did in the last session! I must do this with my One Ring game as well...

(And by they I mean the players.)

BigJackBrass

They'd be perfect for bluebooking too, if it's appropriate to the campaign.

MartyJopson

You what now!? Blue booking?

KnygathinZhaum

I gave them a stern look that seemed to stop them.

Ah, good to know. I'll skip ahead a bit and see. Since I'm about to enter into the climax of Chapter 1 this Saturday I am very curious to hear another group's exploits.  About to wrap up writing for  Chapter 3 (which really is essentially Chapter 2, proper) and am LOVING how well laid out and easy to write for this campaign is.

Did a bit of writing before our 4th of July party yesterday and told my not-really-interested girlfriend "I just wrote NPC dialogue for a ghoul!"

BigJackBrass

You what now!? Blue booking?

Sorry, thought it was a common term. Aaron Allston coined it for a technique he developed during his legendary Strike Force campaign. I found a few handy descriptions online, including this one.

lagrippe

So, it would seem that if you give them fancy notebooks they will write stuff down. Which means they may remember what they did in the last session! I must do this with my One Ring game as well...

(And by they I mean the players.)

Absolutely! Also interesting was the fact that some players ended up taking notes and drawing sketches in character, creating a neat notebook / in-game artifact hybrid. Who said prop making was just for Keepers?

Sorry, thought it was a common term. Aaron Allston coined it for a technique he developed during his legendary Strike Force campaign. I found a few handy descriptions online, including this one.

Had to look this up as well :)

MartyJopson

The only time I ever managed to get a player to engage with the game outside of table time (so to speak) was when I was running D&D 3.5. I had one player who obsessively micromanaged his character and had all 20 PC levels mapped out. When he once rolled a 1 for his hit points (i.e. less than he was counting on) it was as if a member of his family had died. He was inconsolable.

But yes - giving then a fancy notebook may help engagement outside the game. 

PoC

Why only today I was working with spreadsheets! :-D

(Though to be fair I do that most days.)

I am still amazed at how much work Marty puts into the handouts for our games.

pulp-cthulhu-two-headed-serpent-martys-game-handouts.jpg

MartyJopson

I'll try and start finding time to post them up (at least those that are not stepping on Chaosium's toes).

However at the moment my head is full of One Ring. This weekend I'm in Manchester with friends and Tolkien role playing. My brain can only cope with one game at a time.

Friedland

I'm starting the Two Headed Serpent campaign with our group next week.

I must say Marty's recordings have been an inspiration.

As most of my players are beginners, we've done several one shot scenarios with pre-gen characters. The character creation intro finally convinced me to get them rolling up their own. I think using a similar method of cut and pasting some copies of the relevant sections from the Pulp supplement, we can get this done quickly.

lagrippe

I'll try and start finding time to post them up (at least those that are not stepping on Chaosium's toes).

However at the moment my head is full of One Ring. This weekend I'm in Manchester with friends and Tolkien role playing. My brain can only cope with one game at a time.

When you have the time, please do!

I am a die-hard enthusiast of prop and handout use in our games and would love to see you work.

MartyJopson

Finally had a moment to dig out the files for the notebooks I made. Here they are at a reasonable resolution for making up into A5 spiral bound booklets. I used Vistaprint to make the images into what they call "photo notebooks". I created images for the front and back cover, and the inside covers too. 

Front cover - I tried to make the style of the other Caduceus stationery and maps

post-786-0-32131100-1500276841_thumb.jpg

Inside front cover - a calendar for 1933 that was supplied in the excellent Resource Pack by Chaosium.

post-786-0-60752600-1500276838_thumb.jpg

Inside back cover - a couple of period adverts found on the internet. Slightly distorted to fit A5

post-786-0-87625300-1500276835_thumb.jpg

Back cover - including address for a period printer of stationery

post-786-0-15474700-1500276833_thumb.jpg

Let me know what you think below...

MartyJopson

Find out how combat accountancy saved at least one palyer character in:

El Toro del Diablo

[File retired.]

and this is the accompanying Keeper Diary