Pookie

Lovecraft Country Television Series

Pookie

It has been announced that Matthew Ruff's Lovecraft Country is coming to television.

B9DV8

The article says that "Lovecraft Country has already been ordered straight to series by HBO".  My PVR stands ready to record.

vsolfronk

A really good book. can't wait for the series.

horrabin

Looks like we might be getting a new tv show with at least some kind of reference to Lovecraft:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/yann-demange-visits-lovecraft-country/

I haven't heard or read anything about the novel by Matt Ruff that it's base on, so I have no idea what to expect. Anyone read it?

PoC

Threads merged.

sdfrank

I read the book, and I have to say - it's possibly my favorite thing I read last year.  Matt Ruff is an inventive but sometimes uneven writer (that is, some of his books are among my favorites, and some to me fall flat; but they are always interesting and have a clever conceit).

Interested readers who come from this site, however, should know that there's not really any "real" Lovecraft in it.  That is, the word Lovecraft in the title really means "Lovecraftian" and indicates that parts of it are about strange cults and powers from beyond.  The other part that makes it kind of Lovecraftian is that a lot of it deals with racism, and...well, there may be some argument on that score, and people can say it was the era in which he wrote, but I think we kind of get where H.P. was on that score.  This book arguably comes at it from a different take, though - I'd say a theme of it is that if you were African-American in the era in which the book takes place, the everyday pain and costs of common racism were much more immediate and threatening to you than a vague nameless horror from the stars.  That said, it's definitely a book about Lovecraftian-style horror, and has a lot of the same themes you find in other Mythos-based works.

So if you're looking for a strictly Cthulhu Mythos novel, you might want to look elsewhere, but this is a really great book, and I highly recommend it.