Pookie

[Radio 4] 'Mythos'

Pookie

Just came across this play on Radio 4 today. It should be something that fans of The Laundry RPG or Delta Green should enjoy.

"Incidents of death from heart failure have spiked at seven times the national average in a small village in Essex. Agent Lairre investigates."

GBSteve

Possibly a pilot to something longer too: http://juliansimpson.uk/about/

I'm working on the pilot to a Lovecraftian radio series for BBC Radio 4. 

nclarke

Thanks for tipping us off about this Pookie. It was a great pilot and full of stuff that seemed to be very close to Charlie Stross' work on the Laundry books. I'll be keeping an eye out for future episodes.

Nigel

carnage_lee

Listening to this now (BBC site says 1 day left to listen, so get your skates on!) it's very good indeed...

"Pleasant Green, I was close to the truth.."

"That incident is classified cobalt-india, it is so far above your current clearance level that I can have you locked up just for saying 'Green' and 'Pleasant' in the wrong order.

HJ

It was very Laundryesque, a good listen though.

Galbraith

I'm extremely dissapointed to have missed this! I hope it comes on again, or is available another time.

GBSteve

I thought it was OK. There wasn't enough threat and the situation was comfortably resolved. But the themes were interesting.

Galbraith

Listening to this now (BBC site says 1 day left to listen, so get your skates on!) it's very good indeed...

"Pleasant Green, I was close to the truth.."

"That incident is classified cobalt-india, it is so far above your current clearance level that I can have you locked up just for saying 'Green' and 'Pleasant' in the wrong order.

I just listened to Fugue State on Julian Simpson's website, which also mentioned Pleasant Green, and is also definitely worth a listen. I still have yet to listen to Mythos, so I don't know how closely they are actually related.

carnage_lee

I just listened to Fugue State on Julian Simpson's website, which also mentioned Pleasant Green, and is also definitely worth a listen. I still have yet to listen to Mythos, so I don't know how closely they are actually related.

The 'Pleasant Green' mentioned in Fugue State could be the same 'Pleasant Green' from Mythos. Actually it's probably the same, as the character 'Johnson' is in both productions (played by Tim McInnerny in each) and seems to be the person that's in charge of the 'government department' that's conducting the investigations.

Pleasant Green is also in at least one other production from Julian Simpson that I know of (Fragments).

All of the radio shows on http://juliansimpson.uk/radio/ are well worth listening to, with great casts and interesting stories.

Hopefully Mythos will be commissioned for a full series.