red_bus

Nice article on the Voynich manuscript

yronimoswhateley

In the end, I rather find the idea that it was a standard-issue imitation of other imitations of plagiarized works of fanciful medieval pseudo-science, filled with abbreviated jargon and inept illustrations, quite plausible and rather a bit more charming than my conclusion that it was entirely faked, or any of the more elaborate and romantic "conspiracy theories" about it.

That decoding of the text reveals something surprisingly familiar:  anyone who has glanced through enough YouTube videos dedicated to "New Age" bunk, fad diets, alien conspiracies, and the like has seen the modern equivalent:  a lazy, fourth-hand collection of other people's ideas, filled with abbreviations and jargon only understood by those who bother following such things, narrated by a text-to-speech engine over crude and nearly random images only barely related to the content.  The more things change, the more they stay the same!  Given enough time and stripped of just enough context, any such YouTube video would look like just as mysterious and baffling a thing as the Voynich MS ever did...

Rather than strip all the fun and mystery out of things, the result actually suggests all sorts of fun ways to use anything from the Voynich Manuscript to its modern equivalents as inspiration for weird horror.  In the end, any "Mythos" explanation we can think of to describe the contents of such a work would probably make as much sense as - and be more fun than, and perhaps only a little less fanciful than - the actual contents of the ramblings of obsessed crackpots.

Great find, deuce!

billwalsh

I saw this yesterday! I think it's an entirely plausible solution, but the big question is, can he produce a fluent, coherent, persuasive transliteration/translation? If so, my hat is tipped.

Bill

Decoded?

https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/voynich-manuscript-solution/

Seems like it could be legit...and relatively banal, as I have long suspected.

JeffErwin

I saw this yesterday! I think it's an entirely plausible solution, but the big question is, can he produce a fluent, coherent, persuasive transliteration/translation? If so, my hat is tipped.

Bill

It's not the first solution (a medicinal manual) along those lines. There's no sign he has attempted the actual text, but the illustrations are plausible enough. It ought to be noted that there is no clear distinction between medicine, alchemy, astrology, and the occult sciences - all are "natural philosophy" - in mediaeval or early modern science. If this is the answer, why on earth encipher it? I suspect an alchemical text myself, mainly because they are more frequently encoded.

andreroy

I've recently gotten my hand on the Yale University's scan of the Voynich Manuscript and the Cthuloide Welten #12 which has an article on using it as a Mythos book.

My German is a bit rusty, so I'may planning to brush up on it before reading, but overall the stats suggest a minor Mythos book.

billwalsh

It's not the first solution (a medicinal manual) along those lines. There's no sign he has attempted the actual text, but the illustrations are plausible enough. It ought to be noted that there is no clear distinction between medicine, alchemy, astrology, and the occult sciences - all are "natural philosophy" - in mediaeval or early modern science. If this is the answer, why on earth encipher it? I suspect an alchemical text myself, mainly because they are more frequently encoded.

Well, he claims to find it a legible medieval Latin shorthand, but there's not a single actual sentence deciphered, which implies maybe it's not that simple. We'll see one way or the other.

I've recently gotten my hand on the Yale University's scan of the Voynich Manuscript and the Cthuloide Welten #12 which has an article on using it as a Mythos book.

My German is a bit rusty, so I'may planning to brush up on it before reading, but overall the stats suggest a minor Mythos book.

Ah, too bad we didn't translate that for Worlds of Cthulhu…

andreroy

Ah, too bad we didn't translate that for Worlds of Cthulhu…

Indeed it is...it would have saved me a lot of headache to find it (it is quite hard to get).

They even included plot hooks for Gaslight, 1920s and Cthulhu Now settings

billwalsh

Indeed it is...it would have saved me a lot of headache to find it (it is quite hard to get).

They even included plot hooks for Gaslight, 1920s and Cthulhu Now settings

I think I have a copy around here somewhere. I'll have to try and dig it out!

andreroy

I think I have a copy around here somewhere. I'll have to try and dig it out!

That would be nice indeed...still need to brush up on the German as I have a few issues of Cthuloide Welten to read (#1, #12, #15, #18 (still looking for #9, #19, #20)), but I never say "No" to anyone offering help.

Dabbler

Mr. Gibbs, from the description, would be no worse fit to handle the Voynich Manuscript than if he were Mr. Gibbon. I will wait until it is properly deciphered -- though it is worth remembering that Linear B was deciphered in part by a scholarly amateur, Michael Ventris. It's the television-show hack (who, incidentally, more or less unacknowledged appropriates the work of others) I cannot abide.