Yog-Sothothery Newsletter Read more... ×
PoC

A New Age of Podcasting with Wax and Disc!

PoC

- Is your digital storage full to the Innsmouth gills with podcasts you can't remember if you've listened to or not?

- Never quite sure if dwh50-new.mp3 was that hilarious show put out by the Whateley brothers about life on the farm or that NPR special on Doctor Who?

- Awash with an acoustic Tsumani of sound that would crush you if it was on physical media?

Then welcome to a new age of podcasting from Yog-Sothoth! As we launch select shows using cutting edge audio technologies (of the 19th & 20th century)!

Spin up your mandrel to listen to the Cthulhu Breakfast Club by having another kind of wax in your ears - a Wax Cylinder! Podcasts become extra zippy in the new two-minute show format, or listen to a full edition of the CBC on only 50 cylinders*!

Dust off that old media player from the "nineties and noughties" and pop in a newly minted Sony MiniDisc featuring recordings of roleplaying games (all the cool kids are doing it) specially written to moving disc in 1:1 real time, just for you!

In a strange situation of @PoC talking about himself in the third person...

Convenience is highly over-rated. You know, there's something about physical media that makes you slow down and focus on its contents, bringing back a level of immersion many of us have forgotten or never experienced. Sure, it's expensive, unwieldy and unnecessary - but it doesn't stop it being fun and more personal.

Ummm... does anyone know where I can pick up a new Wax Cylinder player?

Look out for new releases, soon!**

*Unlikely

**'ish, really, very 'ish..

wax-cylinder-minidisc-podcasts-ysdc.jpg

PoC

Look (or listen) out for an update this coming week.

Judgetrev

I was at a craft store called Hobby Lobby last week. They had a kit for building a wax cylinder playing machine. I considered it.

PoC

re: Post #4 above, Mat of Techmoan has done a review of the Gakken kit.

PoC

Our latest wax cylinder recording should be out end of the month or early June.

Available as a one-off in strictly limited numbers.

rmeints

I look forward to the next wax cylinder. My Edison Amberola doesn't get much use these days.

PoC

Since the person who manufactures the wax cylinders had his business burn down a couple of days after our cylinder allotment arrived at the cutters, they will be quite rare indeed.

nclarke

Was that a fiendish plot to increase the value of said cylinders and make a killing on the wax cylinder aftermarket?

PoC

It's a cutthroat business!

"a very long time".>

PoC

As far as I know this is the only... "podcast" on wax... Featuring The Cthulhu Breakfast Club #027 (and exclusively available in this format).

Last of the Wax Cylinders

Produced in a very limited (and very final) numbered run of 19 cylinders bearing the seal of Yog-Sothoth, to celebrate 19 years of YSDC in June.

Available soon from ye Yoggie Shoppe.

tammywilding

They look fantastic! My local museum has a Wax cylinder machine. It also has a ZX Spectrum, on display, which makes me feel rather old (I only had the ZX81).

When I win the Lottery, I shall collect your wonderful knickknacks, and listen to them whilst drinking tea on the lawn.

PoC

It's always best to handle your wax cylinders carefully...

Each one of the 19 CBC copies will come with handling instructions.

PoC

The new wax cylinder release will go on general sale on Monday, 19th June at 1900 hours for a total of 19 days only.

Cthulhu Breakfast Club #027

Mark your calendars!

PoC

Today (Friday, 7th July) is the last day of public sale for the 19th anniversary wax cylinder. If you want one, pick it up before tomorrow. :-)