MOB

Call of Cthulhu Metal Dice are coming...

MOB

Coming soon from Chaosium and Q-Workshop!

Subscribe at the link to be the first to know when the campaign launches...

111bff87-486b-4ee7-898e-595d81298ea2.png

PoC

For those seeking clarification, this will be a Kickstarter campaign.

It's time to arm yourself for the uneven fight with the Elder Gods from the Cthulhu Mythos! Q WORKSHOP together with Chaosium Inc. are planning to make a very special, super tentacle-y and stunning metal dice set via Kickstarter.

Q Workshop metal dice normally retail for £30-£60, depending.

I wonder what metal they will be made from?

MOB

I wonder what metal they will be made from?

Tin!

The Kickstarter launch date is confirmed for March 16th, 1pm US Eastern Standard Time.

PoC

I've worked a lot with Tin. :-)

Density 7.3, melting point 232ºC (easily cast -  you can melt it in a pan on your stove), below 13ºC it eventually transforms to the alpha phase which is brittle. If you have a large enough piece and bend it, it screams. I imagine there may be some hardener in there (like copper or antimony).

Any idea of size? The dice look quite large in the promotional photo.

The latest info on the upcoming KS says it will run for 30 days starting this month (as @MOB mentions) with a funding goal of $50,000 (US), while "...many add-ons and stretch goals are scheduled to appear."

MOB

If you have a large enough piece and bend it, it screams.

Screaming Cthulhu dice, whoa...

I imagine there may be some hardener in there (like copper or antimony).

Any idea of size? The dice look quite large in the promotional photo.

Yes, it's a tin alloy!

I don't have details on the dimensions, but the Kickstarter page will feature the exact SIZ of all the dice (and how much they weigh  :-D)

The latest info on the upcoming KS says it will run for 30 days starting this month (as @MOB mentions) with a funding goal of $50,000 (US), while "...many add-ons and stretch goals are scheduled to appear."

The confirmed launch date is March 16th. For an idea of the sort of stuff that's might be offered as add-ons or stretch goals, check out Q's earlier Kickstarter for Pathfinder Metal Dice they did in conjunction with Paizo.

PoC

The Kickstarter for this starts tomorrow.

Q Workshop kindly sent along a prototype set for us to look at on our shows.

q-workshop-metal-coc-dice-box-front.jpg q-workshop-metal-coc-dice-box-back.jpg q-workshop-metal-coc-dice-contents.jpg q-workshop-metal-coc-dice-close-up.jpg

Pookie

Cthulhu dice go metal!

I unbox the forthcoming metal dice for Call of Cthulhu.

PoC

This has now launched.

Call of Cthulhu Metal Dice Set by Q-workshop & Chaosium

Features a slick KS video and lifetime product guarantee.

As anticipated, initial buy-in is about $60 USD (c. £48) [plus shipping].

The metal is tin. Copper and "golden alloy*" dice (á la Pathfinder Dice KS) are off the table (so to speak) - not surprising, tin melts at 232ºC, copper at 1085ºC...

*Not actual gold, though I have worked out how much a solid gold dice set would cost...

PoC

The KS has met its funding target.

We talked about the dice in today's meeting of The Cthulhu Breakfast Club.

cbc-025-marty-metal-coc-dice-q-workshop.jpg

The prototype set we received from Q Workshop will be going into a future YSDC charity pile.

PoC

Threads merged.

KS is currently half way to its first stretch goal ("Nyarlathotep" D6, D10 & D20 added to all qualifying pledges).

BigJackBrass

I was lucky enough to get a close look at that prototype set and they really are superb, probably the best I've seen from Q-workshop.

Mograg

If one is playing 7th edition CoC, this (pricey) set of metal dice is incomplete, as it does not include the bonus/penalty dice extra d10s one would need to make those rolls in one throw when the new bonus/penalty dice rules are invoked.

PoC

Another video about the dice, this time from TheGameBoyGeek, Dan King. As noted at the start this is a paid preview.

MOB

The Metal Dice Kickstarter ends in just under a week. All original Stretch Goals have been unlocked. That's 28 bonus dice and a dice bag, on top of the original Metal Dice—all now part of the one pledge.

17834788_750729911753673_202894594005299

If one is playing 7th edition CoC, this (pricey) set of metal dice is incomplete, as it does not include the bonus/penalty dice extra d10s one would need to make those rolls in one throw when the new bonus/penalty dice rules are invoked.

Penalty dice are in the new list of stretch goals (add-on at $200K). The Kickstarter is currently just past 175K, so that is that is very achievable. 

KnygathinZhaum

That's 28 bonus dice and a dice bag, on top of the original Metal Dice—all now part of the one pledge.

Ridiculously excited about this! Pledged the minute I heard about this the other week.

PoC

This Kickstarter closed at $283,207 USD raised from 2,723 backers.

MOB

This Kickstarter closed at $283,207 USD raised from 2,723 backers.

A great result! Coupled with the unconnected Elder Dice Kickstarter that finished on March 29 and raised $261K, that means in the last 6 weeks Cthulhu mythos fans have spent more than half a million dollars ($545,092 to be precise) just on fancy dice. A total of over 7,400 backers (though no doubt some people backed both).

And given dice are for playing games with, that's got to be good news for Mythos-related publishers and people who play their games. 

dulcamara

Crap, really bummed I somehow missed this! They look fantastic.

KnygathinZhaum

And given dice are for playing games with, that's got to be good news for Mythos-related publishers and people who play their games. 

Gaming is simply an excuse to own and use dice, naturally.  ;-)

gabrielconnor

A great result! Coupled with the unconnected Elder Dice Kickstarter that finished on March 29 and raised $261K, that means in the last 6 weeks Cthulhu mythos fans have spent more than half a million dollars ($545,092 to be precise) just on fancy dice. A total of over 7,400 backers (though no doubt some people backed both).

Gamers wanna spend their money! Give them something to spend their money on!

HINT: 7th Edition deluxe edition of MoN and BtMoM with deluxe props for stretch goals!

PoC

Since posting a couple of days ago, these have now jumped up to £70 a set.

q-workshop-call-of-cthulhu-metal-dice-set-70-pounds.png