Finn

Cthulhu Confidential

waltshumate

Hey Waltshumate, this is Cat, the Managing Director and co-owner of Pelgrane Press. Thanks for taking the time to articulate your concerns here; we take issues like this very seriously, and appreciate the opportunity to respond. 

The noir source material for Cthulhu Confidential - the works of Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett, for example - overwhelmingly feature violence between SWGs. This is a key trope of this fiction. The only way that "Straight White Guys make great punching bags" could be called a theme of this game is if you are making the point that "SWGs make great punching bags" is a theme of noir in general, in which case, I'd agree, and it's good to hear that you feel we've captured the source material so accurately.

For context, the rest of the paragraph reads, 

"When a corrupt cop or a brutal gangster gives the default version of Dex the works, most players and GMs will see the scene through the lens of those stylized genre tropes. The moment won’t take on a symbolic weight it can’t support. "If you’re playing Dex as LGBT, a woman, or a person of color, that same sequence could easily evoke a history of oppression and violence in a way that overwhelms the rest of the narrative.""

Robin - who is, as Tony Williams has already pointed out, an SWG himself - is not in any way suggesting that SWGs "deserve" to be punched; that's your word, not his. He's saying that people accept punching SWGs as an intrinsic part of this genre. As a result, they are largely blind to violence against SWGs. This makes it considerably less problematic than advocating "punching women" or "punching PoC", which have clear sexist and racist overtones.

The source material, as listed in the bibliography of your product, also includes Ellroy and a feature of his work is violence against non SWGs.  I was not saying  that Tony was suggesting that SWGs deserved to be punched I was suggesting that Pelegrane Press believe that SWGs deserve a good beating because that's the sort of politics you like to wrap yourselves in.  

>"If you’re playing Dex as LGBT, a woman, or a person of color, that same sequence could easily evoke a history of oppression and violence in a way that overwhelms the rest of >the narrative." 

So a someone playing a non SWG  Dex could not cope with a rough interrogation from  a couple of SWG cop characters  but  they would be ok with Dex being maimed or killed by non SWG characters or is it that non SWG characters should never be harmed?

PoC

Pelgrane recently released a new (4th) Cthulhu Confidential scenario in PDF: High Voltage Kill I wonder if they will release a print anthology or if the nature of the cards aspect means CC scenarios are better suited to PDF distribution.

As cited in post#12 there's a Problem and Edge Cards deck in plan at least.

Travern

Recently I ran across a web-based card generator for board game prototyping that I think is flexible enough to work nicely for Cthulhu Confidential's Problem and Edge Cards.

Here are a couple of examples from The Fathomless Sleep with Pelgrane's Trail of Cthulhu art (while these are just screenshots, the site allows for easy printing with a clean layout).

GaI2s6R.png

While I like Cthulhu Confidential's minimalist/Art Deco design, I appreciate that some players might prefer more elaborate or illustrated versions.  With color printing widespread, it's not too hard to come up with alternatives.

Tony Williams

Great link Travern

Aries04

seconded...those look great!!!

Great link Travern

Travern

Thanks - I hope people will find the website useful.  Although its UI is pretty barebones as far as inputting text, it does show you a live preview that smooths along the process.  Also, if you don't mind rolling up your sleeves for a little coding, you can tweak the HTML and CSS to suit your tastes and adjust some of the formatting (the top text box needs a little more padding to fit descenders, I notice).

Incidentally, I wonder if Pelgrane would consider offering a fillable PDF of their own template for Problem/Edge cards. Professional-looking decks for home-brewed Cthulhu Confidential scenarios would be a welcome aid, as would customized decks for use with their published ones.  And this topic will likely come up again with the Shock/Injury cards for the King in Yellow RPG, I suspect.

Travern

And naturally Pelgrane has already created not only form-fillable PDFs for Problem and Edge card templates, but also generic/example sets of the former and latter.

PoC

Pelgrane have announced the availability of the Limited Edition version of Cthulhu Confidential (£65).

cthulhu-confidential-limited-edition-cover.png

This beautiful faux-leatherbound version of the first GUMSHOE One-2-One game comes in rich black, embossed with gleaming silver. It includes a limited edition bookplate signed by all three authors.

Langston Wright is an African-American war veteran and scholar in WW2-era Washington, DC. Vivian Sinclair is The New York Herald’s most determined scoop-hound in 1930s NYC. And Dex Raymond is a hard-boiled private detective with a nose for trouble in 1930s Los Angeles.

Each is a lone investigator, equipped with smarts, fists, and just maybe a code of honor, uncovering their town’s secret truths. But what happens when you scratch the veneer of human malfeasance to reveal an eternal evil—the malign, cosmic indifference of HP Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos

[update] Also out is another PDF adventure featuring Vivian Sinclair: Ex Astoria

You are Vivian Sinclair: a sharp-dressing, straight-talking, New York investigative journalist. Equipped with your smarts, your notebook, and your unerring nose for a good story, your job is to scour the streets of the City of Dreams and dig up its darkest secrets.

A brawl between picketers from the miner’s union and scab laborers working on the Winn Water Tunnel has turned into a riot, and Vivian Sinclair is on the scene reporting. But it seems the scab workers are the least of the miners’ concerns.  Can Viv prevent further injuries and an environmental disaster?

Travern

Cthulhu Confidential Problems and Edge Cards are now available from Pelgrane (and DriveThruRPG):

Card-deck-promo-image_350.png

Fill your hardboiled detective’s hand with luck and doom!

As Cthulhu Confidential investigators navigate the intertwined worlds of crime and cosmic horror, they accumulate Problem cards marking the hits they take along the way. Fortunately they also pick up Edge cards, which they can parlay into useful advantages against gangsters, gamblers and ghouls. This accessory for in-person GUMSHOE One-2-One play contains 68 Edges and Problem cards you’re most likely to hand to your player.

You screamed for their physical manifestation, and now they’re here. Wear a wicked grin as you slide them toward your player’s trembling digits!

PoC

Thanks for the heads-up!

I wonder if they'll make it over to DriveThruCards [POD] as well?

Travern

I wonder if they'll make it over to DriveThruCards [POD] as well?

Pelgrane's Colleen Riley does promise that "the cards will be available in print form through DriveThruRPG", but DriveThruCards would make sense.

GMDavy

Anyone have advice on converting Trail of Cthulhu or Fear Itself adventures books to GUMSHOE one-2-one? I've been running Cthulhu Confidential for several sessions and it's going well, but I've never run or played a larger GUMSHOE game, so I'm wondering if there are pitfalls I should avoid. The pre-gen characters in the back and tips in the book are a great start, but I'm wondering what I may be missing from inexperience with the larger GUMSHOE-verse. 

rylehNC

I haven't tried to do it yet, but I would start by noting everywhere there is an important-sounding skill check, and think about how I would make it into a challenge.

Also, you need to have your PC in mind, to know what investigative abilities will require contacts.