Finn

Cthulhu Confidential

Finn

I haven't seen any mention in these parts about Pelgrane's new Gumshoe One2One system, and their Cthulhu Confidential release.   I've bought the pre-order version and taken the pdf out for a run a few times and jotted down a few thoughts here if anyone's curious.

PoC

We also talked about it in the Cthulhu Breakfast Club, and here's a recording of Marty playing it with the author:

It should see official print quite soon.

cthulhu-confidential-limited-dragonmeet-2016-edition.jpg

Finn

I watched and enjoyed the Robin/Marty session when it was first announced.   The audio clip is new to me though... listening now.   thanks!

GBSteve

It's Sp-eye-vee. I ran a playtest for Ruth Kitchin-Tillman's adventure on Skype and it went really well. I looking forward to using this system for more one to one, and for group games such as The King in Yellow. But I think it's eminently suitable for improvised play too, although Robin wasn't so sure in a recent KARTAS.

rylehNC

But I think it's eminently suitable for improvised play too, although Robin wasn't so sure in a recent KARTAS.

Some generic contests and condition cards would go a long way towards making it easier to play on the fly. But the way you can delay incapacitating resolutions until they have real narrative weight is brilliant.

Finn

Some generic contests and condition cards would go a long way towards making it easier to play on the fly. But the way you can delay incapacitating resolutions until they have real narrative weight is brilliant.

That's the way I've gone for my own peace of mind.   When converting my existing adventures I've added in custom challenges, Edges and Problems for the key scenes and encounters, but I've also made a few generics to cover the usual scrapes, strain, stresses and setbacks that are likely to come up in the rough and tumble of a typical session.

Here's a specific result in case my player tangles with the Dimensional Shambler lurking in the old cult house and breaks free just in time...

2ibgrc9.jpg

But I also have generic ones like "Bruised", "Momentary Panic" and so on that can be dropped in whenever required by the situation and the player's choice of actions.

rylehNC

When converting my existing adventures I've added in custom challenges, Edges and Problems for the key scenes and encounters, but I've also made a few generics to cover the usual scrapes, strain, stresses and setbacks that are likely to come up in the rough and tumble of a typical session.

Here's a specific result in case my player tangles with the Dimensional Shambler lurking in the old cult house and breaks free just in time...

2ibgrc9.jpg

But I also have generic ones like "Bruised", "Momentary Panic" and so on that can be dropped in whenever required by the situation and the player's choice of actions.

Outstanding ... and they would help aspiring Keepers figure out when and how to frame challenges, too.

Finn

I was worried at first that writing an adventure would be much more time consuming given the challenge system, but it's really not.   Converting an existing upcoming scenario for my Trail campaign to Cthulhu Confidential was actually really easy and also helpful - because I knew that the Challenge system had to be addressed it really helped me tighten up some key scenes and think about alternate approaches and outcomes (and potential setbacks) that I might otherwise have had to improvise on the fly.   I think my rewrite is a lot tighter as an adventure than my original "Trail" draft.  Yes there's a little bit of a work overhead in that I like to design cards for specific Edges & Problems and import them into Roll20 but it would be just as easy to just have a simple text entry for them and that would save a lot of time - as it is though I enjoy the act of creation.

PoC

Pelgrane in their February 2017 See Page XX have stated that the final print release will feature an extra Mythos chapter.  The full publication will be known as the Cthulhu Confidential: Case Notes Edition.

ETA for those who pre-order, mid-April.

FreddieF

I am looking forward to the print release with much anticipation. In the meantime, their Hawkin's Papers set of props for The Dracula Dossier is about to ship and they look fantastic.

PoC

Pelgrane are testing a Problem and Edge Cards deck.

cthulhu-confidential-cards-prototype.jpg

Source: Pelgrane Press

PoC

It seems it’s still in prototype.

waltshumate

"Straight White Guys make great punching bags" is a theme of this game and should be discussed since it is probably the most offensive statement I have seen in an RPG by a major publisher.

PoC

- and upon checking, so it does. Cthulhu Confidential, page 77 boxed text:

The thing about SWGs is that they make great punching bags.

I've invited @PelgranePress to comment.

Tony Williams

I think it's an unfortunate phraseology, that then taken out of context of the rest of what the boxed text is talking about, isn't quite meant to mean what it sounds like.

Taken as part of the boxed text I think it's saying that a trope of L.A. Noir is there are a lot of SWGs ( many of whom are beaten up by other SWGs ). The boxed text is talking about how you go about changing the characters in the scenario from SWGs and the issues you might encounter when you do.

waltshumate

The issue being changing the character from a SWG could trigger someone but since SWGs deserve to get beaten, SWG players and characters are fair game.  A trope of modern L.A Noir IS beating up non SWGs.

Tony Williams

The issue being changing the character from a SWG could trigger someone but since SWGs deserve to get beaten, SWG players and characters are fair game. 

Well, frankly, yes. SWGs get beaten up all the time by other SWGs in L.A. Noir ( whether they deserve that or not is another matter, but it IS ONLY fiction we are talking about ). 

If you tell your player they are going to be a hardboiled SWG detective in an L.A. Noir setting I don't think they'd be terribly surprised or offended if their character gets beaten up during play.

However if your player wants to gender-swap to a female private eye, but play the scenario as written, then you are introducing physical violence against women and possible lesbianism; issues that might offend the sensibilities of certain players ( which is what the whole boxed text is talking about ).

Although the original quote you picked out makes it sound like SWGs deserve to be beaten up that's not how I interpret it taken in context. In context it's saying SWGs get beaten up all the time in L.A. Noir fiction ( and again I stress the work FICTION ).

Nobody is talking about beating up SWG players ( just characters! ).

waltshumate

Well, frankly, yes. SWGs get beaten up all the time by other SWGs in L.A. Noir ( whether they deserve that or not is another matter, but it IS ONLY fiction we are talking about ). 

If you tell your player they are going to be a hardboiled SWG detective in an L.A. Noir setting I don't think they'd be terribly surprised or offended if their character gets beaten up during play.

However if your player wants to gender-swap to a female private eye, but play the scenario as written, then you are introducing physical violence against women and possible lesbianism; issues that might offend the sensibilities of certain players ( which is what the whole boxed text is talking about ).

Although the original quote you picked out makes it sound like SWGs deserve to be beaten up that's not how I interpret it taken in context. In context it's saying SWGs get beaten up all the time in L.A. Noir fiction ( and again I stress the work FICTION ).

Nobody is talking about beating up SWG players ( just characters! ).

In or out of context if that statement had been made about any other group then twitter and rpg.net woud have lit up like a christmas tree and there would have been demands that game stores and drivethrurpg/rpgno not stock the game They could have made the point about not wanting to offend certain people (as you put it) with out creating a  TLA label. You obviously have never read any Ellroy or watched anything based on his work if you think that white CIS males are the only ones that get beaten up in LA Noir.

Tony Williams

In or out of context if that statement had been made about any other group

But it wasn't made about any other group (it was made about the majority "group" in L.A. Noir), and taking it out of context of the call-out box is greatly misconstruing its purpose.

You obviously have never read any Ellroy or watched anything based on his work if you think that white CIS males are the only ones that get beaten up in LA Noir.

Nowhere have I said that SWGs are the only ones getting beaten up in L.A. Noir - just that they are the usual punchbags (so don't put words in my mouth).

The quote is getting at that -> SWGs are the usual punchbags in L.A. Noir. But I guess you have chosen to take it out of context so you can be offended as if it is saying that SWGs in the real world should deserve to be beaten up (which, in my opinion, is a ridiculous way to interpret that quote - FFS the author is a SWG!).

I've said my piece - if you are offended then I'm not going to be able to calm you down.

waltshumate

But it wasn't made about any other  group (it was made about the majority "group" in L.A. Noir), and taking it out of context of the call-out box is greatly misconstruing its purpose.

Nowhere have I said that SWGs are the only ones getting beaten up in L.A. Noir - just that they are the usual punchbags (so don't put words in my mouth).

The quote is getting at that -> SWGs are the usual punchbags in L.A. Noir. But I guess you have chosen to take it out of context so you can be offended as if it is saying that SWGs in the real world should deserve to be beaten up (which, in my opinion, is a ridiculous way to interpret that quote - FFS the author is a SWG!).

I've said my piece - if you are offended then I'm not going to be able to calm you down.

>But it wasn't made about any other  group

So that is ok then.

And if you can't see the obvious offensiveness of this is, which is  also obvious since  you agree that if it had been said about another group it would have caused a  storm.  Also is quite obvious from your vigorous defence that you are shill for Pelgrane Press.

PoC

Tony Williams has produced fan materials for Trail of Cthulhu but is not a shill for Pelgrane Press. Pelgrane have been invited to comment and should they choose to do so they are welcome to post here.

Meanwhile other lines of discussion about Cthulhu Confidential are invited.

CatPelgrane

Hey Waltshumate, this is Cat, the Managing Director and co-owner of Pelgrane Press. Thanks for taking the time to articulate your concerns here; we take issues like this very seriously, and appreciate the opportunity to respond. 

The noir source material for Cthulhu Confidential - the works of Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett, for example - overwhelmingly feature violence between SWGs. This is a key trope of this fiction. The only way that "Straight White Guys make great punching bags" could be called a theme of this game is if you are making the point that "SWGs make great punching bags" is a theme of noir in general, in which case, I'd agree, and it's good to hear that you feel we've captured the source material so accurately.

For context, the rest of the paragraph reads, 

"When a corrupt cop or a brutal gangster gives the default version of Dex the works, most players and GMs will see the scene through the lens of those stylized genre tropes. The moment won’t take on a symbolic weight it can’t support. If you’re playing Dex as LGBT, a woman, or a person of color, that same sequence could easily evoke a history of oppression and violence in a way that overwhelms the rest of the narrative."

Robin - who is, as Tony Williams has already pointed out, an SWG himself - is not in any way suggesting that SWGs "deserve" to be punched; that's your word, not his. He's saying that people accept punching SWGs as an intrinsic part of this genre. As a result, they are largely blind to violence against SWGs. This makes it considerably less problematic than advocating "punching women" or "punching PoC", which have clear sexist and racist overtones.