jpowell

NecronomiCon Providence 2017

Nick Storm

what's a 'live crossover' ?

AdamAlexander

Thanks Scott. I've never had to get tickets for a panel at Necronomicon, but I have had to for podcast shows.

@Nick Storm - I'm assuming the live crossover in Scott's post refers to The Good Friends of JE doing a crossover show with MU Podcast

Badger

Embarrassingly, I have no idea how ticketing works for panels. Can someone who has attended Necronomicon before help answer this?

Hi Scott,

There are no tickets needed for any panels. You just show up and find a seat for yourself. In all of the panels i've been a part of or attended, there's been little problem getting in (although the gaming-related ones tend to be very popular and well-attended).

That being said, some events, like anything HPLHS-related, tend to draw big crowds, so if you really want to see something, i would recommend getting to it a bit early to guarantee a place in the queue. :)

-=badger

Chad Out of Space

Thanks Scott. I've never had to get tickets for a panel at Necronomicon, but I have had to for podcast shows.

@Nick Storm - I'm assuming the live crossover in Scott's post refers to The Good Friends of JE doing a crossover show with MU Podcast

Hello! HPPodcraft had a ticketing system for one of their shows in previous years to raise money for their trip, if I recall. There is no ticketing system for the MUP-GFoJE show on Saturday. Price of admission: 1.5 hours you will never get back! 

AdamAlexander

Hello! HPPodcraft had a ticketing system for one of their shows in previous years to raise money for their trip, if I recall. There is no ticketing system for the MUP-GFoJE show on Saturday. Price of admission: 1.5 hours you will never get back!

Thanks for the info!

ScottDorward

Thank you both for the clarification!

Chad Out of Space

Thank you both for the clarification!

We could pass around a collection basket to prevent any singing, though. Just a thought.

skaye

More details on programming now up:

Eldritch Ball tickets will be available July 20th, according to the website.

Nick Storm

More details on programming now up:

Eldritch Ball tickets will be available July 20th, according to the website.

I wanna say that I believe the Walking Tours may be put on by the Rhode Island Historical Society - they've done them from their HQ in the past. May be different this year.

I HIGHLY recommend attending Donovan Loucks 'sitting' tour of Providence and Lovecraft Country when and where you see it listed in the programe. A lot less stress on your knees from traversing Jenckes street, if ya know what I mean. heh.

MikeM

It's a great programme of events - I'm going to be very busy!

DonovanLoucks

I wanna say that I believe the Walking Tours may be put on by the Rhode Island Historical Society - they've done them from their HQ in the past. May be different this year.

I HIGHLY recommend attending Donovan Loucks 'sitting' tour of Providence and Lovecraft Country when and where you see it listed in the programe. A lot less stress on your knees from traversing Jenckes street, if ya know what I mean. heh.

Thanks for the compliments on my "sitting tours"! I'm doing my Providence one on Saturday at 1:30 p.m. and my one on the rest of New England on Saturday at 3:00 p.m. You're right that it's easier on the knees, but there's nothing like getting out there and seeing everything in person!

Although the Rhode Island Historical Society does one Lovecraft walking tour on Saturday morning, we have nine walking tours scheduled throughout the convention, as well as six bus tours. Tickets for both just went on sale last night and are available here:

http://necronomicon-providence.com/bus-walking-tours/

My walking tour is on Saturday morning at 9 a.m. – before it gets hot and humid! And on the walking tours I make sure we "hesitate gingerly down vertical Jenckes Street" rather than ascending it!

DonovanLoucks

We can do the walking tour or use my SUV if you want to really get around and see all the farther stuff - like all the Joseph Curwen farm locations and where he secretly unloaded his unholy cargo on the riverbank. HPL Geography is one of my keen interests.

I'd be interested in hearing more about any Pawtuxet-area locations you know of. The only definitive ones I'm familiar with are Namquit/Gaspee Point (where cargo was unloaded) and Pawtuxet Falls (where Curwen's "mistakes" floated downstream). Lovecraft is vague enough about the exact location of Curwen's farm and the later Pawtuxet bungalow on its site that I haven't located anything precisely.

I did, however, locate Curwen's Providence "town house in Olney Court" after about five years of off-and-on research. It was located at 6 Olney Street and Lovecraft chose it because his housekeeper, Delilah Townsend, lived there. Though it was torn down around 1930, I managed to find a historic photograph of the place:

Helen

Donovan's tour was excellent. The walking and hills were fine, despite the heat. But then we live in a really hilly place- but the pace is fairly gentle so sign up!

The bus tour was also great and I think scripted by Donovan too. Paul was thrilled to see Lovecraft's grave and the observatory.

DonovanLoucks

Donovan's tour was excellent. The walking and hills were fine, despite the heat. But then we live in a really hilly place- but the pace is fairly gentle so sign up!

The bus tour was also great and I think scripted by Donovan too. Paul was thrilled to see Lovecraft's grave and the observatory.

Thank you, Helen! There's obviously no way we could pack the walking tours into one time slot (75 minutes) so we take up two (165 minutes) and do them at a leisurely pace. I prefer to think of them as walking conversations and like to get everyone involved. Yes, I did prepare the script for the bus tour but Jon, the tour guide, does a remarkable job filling in additional details about Providence history.

Nick Storm

I'd be interested in hearing more about any Pawtuxet-area locations you know of. The only definitive ones I'm familiar with are Namquit/Gaspee Point (where cargo was unloaded) and Pawtuxet Falls (where Curwen's "mistakes" floated downstream). Lovecraft is vague enough about the exact location of Curwen's farm and the later Pawtuxet bungalow on its site that I haven't located anything precisely.

I did, however, locate Curwen's Providence "town house in Olney Court" after about five years of off-and-on research. It was located at 6 Olney Street and Lovecraft chose it because his housekeeper, Delilah Townsend, lived there. Though it was torn down around 1930, I managed to find a historic photograph of the place:

We talked about those locales a couple times I think. You have the lion's share of Curwen's sites done. I think a few sightseers are interested in 'Sitting Rock' which was almost within walking distance of my Condo as well as 'Dark Swamp' and the 5-6 sites out that way North West. A little bit of a car ride though.

skaye

Gaming schedule is up - one would have to register ('buy' free tickets on Eventbrite): http://necronomicon-providence.com/gaming/.

They're taking game submissions until August 13th, if people still want to submit.

PoC

To concur with Helen, Donovan's tour was excellent. Heartily recommended if you get the chance.

DonovanLoucks

To concur with Helen, Donovan's tour was excellent. Heartily recommended if you get the chance.

Thanks, Paul! We've provided loads of tour options. If you can't make my walking tour, there's my "sitting tour". And if you can't make that, there are eight other walking tours being led by other guides. And if those fill up, you can always use the walking tour map I've created that will be in the program guide and venture out on your own. Did I mention the bus tours? :-)

JeffErwin

Ok, I'll want to sign up for Donovan's tour. I'm curious if there are any unofficial Yoggie get-togethers planned...

Also I'm looking at the game schedule. Too bad they don't have capsule descriptions... Anyone here running one?

sasori

If you go to the eventbrite site to 'buy' tickets, ou get a capsule description for each game where you select the sessions you want tickets for.

Got my tickets for a bunch of games last night. There's already some sold out (obviously those run by the Paul Fricker, Mat Sandersons and Mike Mason went first), but I got into two sessions run by Lynne Hardy, so that made me happy, along with a range of other games. 

I had to limit myself to make sure I had time to do all the other things I wanted to do in terms of tours, talks and podcast sessions! If oonly I could clone myself to see more! 

It's going to be a hectic 4 days for me.

khyungbird

Hi all,

I'm curious, who on yog-sothoth is going to NecronomiCon 2017? I'll be going myself, and I'm even scheduled to run a couple of Dreamland-themed games in the gaming area!

Paul & Helen, in case you're reading this, I'm sorry you won't be able to go this year, but it was a real pleasure meeting you at the 2015 convention and hanging out in that tavern on the ground floor of the hotel. :) Hope you're both well!

As for everyone else though -- who's going? :) It'd be cool to meet some of you! 

Jason Thompson

mockman.com

PoC

I'm glad we got to go last time, it was quite an experience. I love a bit of Dreamlands roleplay, always enjoyed the more fantastical aspects.

I'm hoping there will be Twitter posts (or even videos/live streams) from attendees this year so we can still experience some small portion of it second hand. :-)

I also hope the heat is a little less unrelenting for everyone in 2017. Oh Howard, why did you have to be born in August in New England? I blame the parents!

carpocratian

Does anyone know if they're going to add more guests?  The website shows the same ones that have been there for awhile.  I seem to recall hearing that they usually have a lot of them.