Collingridge

CoC Colonial New England

Collingridge

Hi everyone,

I was looking to set build a campaign set in the colonial era (roughly 1765). My players would be playing the town fathers of a minor settlement in Colonial Lovecraft county well delving into the mysteries of the mythos along with acting in New England Politicks of the period. One of the central ideas I had for the campaign was allowing the players to build and shape a township that would be central to the future of the mythos, in a manner similar to Arks from the game 'Mutant: YearZero'.

I was thinking of using Innsmouth, and making the players members of the Masonic lodge that ran the village prior to the introduction of the Esoteric Order of Dagon.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good material to read, or ideas that they thought might help develop the concept?

nclarke

If the players are the selectmen for a township and you are doing any politicking then  a good primer on New England political procedures and offices might came in useful. I found  one on Project Gutenberg some time back to help with background for another campaign that had a scenario set there and then: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33904

JeffErwin

Hi everyone,

I was looking to set build a campaign set in the colonial era (roughly 1765). My players would be playing the town fathers of a minor settlement in Colonial Lovecraft county well delving into the mysteries of the mythos along with acting in New England Politicks of the period. One of the central ideas I had for the campaign was allowing the players to build and shape a township that would be central to the future of the mythos, in a manner similar to Arks from the game 'Mutant: YearZero'.

I was thinking of using Innsmouth, and making the players members of the Masonic lodge that ran the village prior to the introduction of the Esoteric Order of Dagon.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good material to read, or ideas that they thought might help develop the concept?

Innsmouth and Kingsport both seem to have provided privateers during the Revolution. Note that Hoag's voyages occurred in the 1730s, out of Kingsport, so the building blocks of the Dagon cult seem to be there already, though the Deep Ones had yet to be incorporated into it.

carpocratian

I ran a colonial horror campaign earlier this year (in Savage Worlds), and am currently working on a CoC one set in the early 20th century.  In both cases I used archive.org extensively.  Once you pick a town (or a similar one if you use something like Innsmouth), you would be amazed at what sort of things you can dig up on there, from personal diaries to town records, newspaper articles, advertisements, etc.  You can find all sorts of things to use as paper props, too, if you like those.

Gaffer

I would recommend picking a real town to base your fictional town on. Salem is a good choice, as there is a lot of information online about its history, including pictures, maps and such. Using that sort of model should keep your setting firmly grounded in reality.

Also, keep in mind how small such places were in terms of population. Everyone in such a town would know everyone else and would be related by blood or marriage to many.

Collingridge

I was looking to use Gloucester, Massachusetts at the township upon which my version of Innsmouth would be based and was doing a bit of reading to flesh the town out.

Thanks for some sources to look at, I did buy the 'Colonial Terrors' Monograph a couple of years back but remember being a bit disappointed. I do own Colonial Gothic and am looking forward to sitting down with it to see any thoughts they might have on the setting.

I remember hearing a few years back that SixtyStonePress had a munscrip floating around for CoC book set within the period, is anyone aware of what became of it?

ElijahWhateley

I playtested it a few years ago. I thought it was very good, and I didn't think it would need that much in the way of revision before publication, but I haven't heard any more about it since then.

trevlix

I was thinking about the Colonial book from Sixtystone as well. Hopefully its not dead, but dreaming, as I liked the setting a lot.

Black-Seal-Editor

I playtested it a few years ago. I thought it was very good, and I didn't think it would need that much in the way of revision before publication, but I haven't heard any more about it since then.

It will be appearing this year.

KRoss

Bwah?!?

It will what now?

DadsAngry

It will be appearing this year.

Please do not kickstart it, just publish it as a PDF or POD if you can't cover the cost initially.

You're current kickstarter is a unspeakable horror of indescribable tardiness.

Pookie

Please do not kickstart it, just publish it as a PDF or POD if you can't cover the cost initially.

You're current kickstarter is a unspeakable horror of indescribable tardiness.

I think that to describe the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion Kickstarter as "unspeakable horror of indescribable tardiness." is unreasonable. I know that it is late and that you want it in your hands now, but a great many of us have been waiting longer than eighteen months for it given its origins. In comparison with other certain, similar Kickstarter projects, the time frame for delivery for which extended to three and four years, others not at all, eighteen months (a period of time which actually is describable) pales.

I share your frustration, but Adam is working on getting the project complete and in your hands. If this really is a problem, send him an e-mail.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now