ReydeAmarillo

Torah Lore

ReydeAmarillo

I am currently brainstorming a 1st C  Galilee campaign - mostly focused around an investigation of a certain person from Nazareth (with a huge Mythos emphasis!)..

I am planning on one Investigator being a Sadducee sent up from Jerusalem to uncover the (awful) truth. As such it would be helpful to understand the Torah and its implication on Jewish thought and society.

I read the Bible (in my youth) and so I am aware of the Pentateuch/Torah's literary composition and the broadest implications of it on Jewish life, and obviously, the Ten Commandments are a good place to start. But I would like (without buying and reading the Bible afresh) to be able to utilise and (mostly accurately) depict it within Jewish society for both Investigators and NPC's.

To that end I wondered if anyone out there can recommend a website that gives a summary of the Torah and (if possible) how it impacts on a faithful Jews life.

With thanks, in anticipation.

Mysterioso

The_Tatterdemalion_King

The broader question is what resources exist that describe an extinct sect's views on the Torah in the 1st Century AD.

ReydeAmarillo
On 11/01/2017 at 20:47, The_Tatterdemalion_King said:

The broader question is what resources exist that describe an extinct sect's views on the Torah in the 1st Century AD.

Very true and so far I have only been able to discover the broadest hints about any of the three Jewish sects of the time. But although each had distinct beliefs they all started at the Torah.

That is why I am only expecting to be able to reproduce "(mostly accurate)" representations of that in game.

However, IMHO, just like any CoC era of play, historical and societal factors should be boldly presented by the Keeper and encouraged in the Players.

As examples - touching a dead body made a priest ritually unclean for seven days. So should the SAN loss for seeing a dead body be increased? Sorcery of any sort was a terrible sin. Should Investigators be extremely wary about casting a spell even to banish a Mythos entity?

Lisa

IIRC, the Torah is the first five books of the Bible. When my cousin had his bar mitzvah, the rabbi explained that the synagogue had three Torah scrolls, one of which was a half-sized scroll (in height, not length), known as "The Tiny Torah". I guessed, correctly, that this was to make it easier to hide when Judaism was persecuted.

The_Tatterdemalion_King

In my cursory googling I haven't been able to find much beyond: the Sadducees particularly are anti-Oral Law (as it undercuts their authority as aristocratic holders of religious authority) and (if I'm reading stuff right) tend toward Hellenization.

On 12/01/2017 at 07:19, ReydeAmarillo said:

As examples - touching a dead body made a priest ritually unclean for seven days. So should the SAN loss for seeing a dead body be increased?

Nah. If your character passes the SAN roll, it just means that performing Temple sacrifices inured them to the sight of death.

Sorcery of any sort was a terrible sin. Should Investigators be extremely wary about casting a spell even to banish a Mythos entity?

Yes, but that's no different from a regular Call of Cthulhu game...

MrHandy

The main difference between the Pharisees and the Sadducees is that the Pharisees believed in a physical, bodily resurrection, while the Sadducees believed that the resurrection was only spiritual. Paul used this division when he was on trial, stating that he was called into question because of his belief in bodily resurrection and pointing out that he was a Pharisee and the son of a Pharisee. At that point in time, the Pharisees were a more popular sect than the Sadducees, though both carried influence.

ReydeAmarillo
On 12/01/2017 at 12:39, Beyond17 said:

All the reading material you could ever want.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Bible/jpstoc.html

For a fictional based game, why not have a new 'prophet' style adventure, where in someone with miraculous abilities appears and starts getting up to shenanigans?

Many thanks this is exactly what I was looking for. I'll be able to précis this in a few paragraphs for any Jewish Investigators and especially the Sadducee.

Certainly, historically, there were several "Messiahs" in this era, including one called an "Egyptian Sorceror" which just begs for a Mythos background !

I started my brainstorming with Jesus, but who knows where it will end up?

On 13/01/2017 at 03:35, MrHandy said:

The main difference between the Pharisees and the Sadducees is that the Pharisees believed in a physical, bodily resurrection, while the Sadducees believed that the resurrection was only spiritual. Paul used this division when he was on trial, stating that he was called into question because of his belief in bodily resurrection and pointing out that he was a Pharisee and the son of a Pharisee. At that point in time, the Pharisees were a more popular sect than the Sadducees, though both carried influence.

Yes very true and as "The Tatterdemalion King" stated they opposed Oral Law and were somewhat Hellinised and Romanised. They tended to be the most authoritarian and broadly led the Sanhedrin.