yellowsigh

Modern Day Kingsport

yellowsigh

I'll hopefully be working up some modern day dream/Dreamlands related stuff in the new year, and found myself recalling the scenarios in the Kingsport sourcebook as the sort of vibe I'd like to go for. Anyone know if there's anything out there (fiction or gaming material) that considers what a modern day Kingsport would be like?.

Angelman

The only thing I can think of is that the Tulzscha cult's upcoming centennial "Festival" beneath Kingsport's Central Hill is supposed to take place in 2022, ostensibly on the Winter Solstice. That's only about 5 1/2 years away at the time of writing this ;)

Other than that, I Guess Kingsport would be somewhere near real world Beverly, Massachusetts?

JeffErwin

The only thing I can think of is that the Tulzscha cult's upcoming centennial "Festival" beneath Kingsport's Central Hill is supposed to take place in 2022, ostensibly on the Winter Solstice. That's only about 5 1/2 years away at the time of writing this ;)

Other than that, I Guess Kingsport would be somewhere near real world Beverly, Massachusetts?

Very like Marblehead today - it would be a coastal resort town - and I live in one and have visited the ones in Massachusetts  - with a remnant fishing industry (along with a lot of "fishing tours" for tourists) and a lot of hotels (prob. one on the site of the Old Man's high house), overpriced restaurants, shops full of kitsch and bad art, homes for people working in Boston, and if you want to borrow from Emrys' Winter Tide, "Hall College", the originally woman's sister school to Arkham, so a moderately sized student population. In other words, an insane price of living...

WinstonP

There are a pair (?) of stories by Willum Pugmire set in a modern Kingsport - The Fungal Stain and another whose name escapes me currently.

You can also read "The Last Feast of Harlequin" by Thomas Ligotti as a retelling of "The Festival"

Travern

Very like Marblehead today - it would be a coastal resort town

Instead of such a scenic, historically preserved town, Pelgrane Press's forthcoming Cthulhu City imagines Kingsport as the eastern-most part of an urban sprawl called "Great Arkham", with Old Arkham at its center and extending from Dunwich to the west and Innsmouth to the north.

EDIT: I may have incorrectly assumed Cthulhu City is set in the present day, rather than a Mythos-inflected alternate 1930s.  I imagined a contemporary Arkham that had set itself up as an upstart rival to a gradually fading Boston (much the way an independent Brooklyn would have done with New York City if it hadn't merged at the turn of the 19th century).  At any rate, the book's available for pre-order.

GBSteve

I'm writing some stuff with a Marblehead/Kingsport crossover. The modern place is very preppy. There's an amusing feed from the local police force detailing their activities. A lot of it is very mundane but easily warpable into something much creepier.

Cthulhu City is far weirder than that. I was involved in a playtest and it was very noir, and extremely creepy.

Gaffer

Wow.

Oncorhyncus

I have always imagined Kingsport as being a sort of small town version of Detroit, periodic efforts at urban renewal followed by horrific periods of economic decline resulting in a place somewhat picturesque but ultimately very off-putting with signs of genuine decay and abandonment near every area showing life and energy.