Sign in to follow this  
lordingrey

Best sources for information on Roman Hispania

lordingrey

The story of Carteia intrigues me as a site for an Ancient adventure in middle republic, a few years after the influx of the 4000 resettled sons of Roman soldiers in the Phoenicean colony in Spain.  Between the defeat of Carthage and its final destruction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carteia

Imagine the cultural Romans (of mixed blood) as the "new Englanders" and the locals as the folk of Dunwich/Innsmouth.

Are there any good sources online or in books about Hispania during the Republican Period/Punic Wars, Roman provincial governance during this period (proconsul as governor etc.)?

Rob

wombat1

Keay, S.J., Roman Spain (Berkeley and Los Angeles: U. Calif. Press, 1988).  (isbn: 978-0520063808) is a not bad introductory volume.

Curchin, Leonard A., The Magistrates of Roman Spain (Toronto: U. Toronto Press, 1990) (isbn: 0802058418)  I have not seen this but it sems to cover the issue of governance.

The wikipedia article mentions Livy and that, plus Cassius Dio, were both very handy to have around when I ran my Invictus campaign back in the day.  One can get the Loeb classical translations by interlibrary loan, as they are rather expensive nowadays otherwise, and  both Livy and Cassius Dio run to multiple volumes.

lordingrey

Thanks, I had wikipedia but not the others, first is on google books.