mojojojo

Connection between Leng and the Unnameable

mojojojo

Something occurred to me as I was looking over the Unnameable.

When the main characters are attacked they suffer from various lacerations, including scarring from a large horn-shaped object and bruises in the shape of hoof-prints on their backs.

and Carter, when relating how he found the thing's bones in the attic of the old house, mentions "four-inch horns, but a face and jaw something like yours and mine."

Could the creature be one of the Men from Leng?

TMS

Well, according to the story the creature was supposed to be the result of a man making a baby with an animal.

deuce

Well, according to the story the creature was supposed to be the result of a man making a baby with an animal.

You're correct. Bloch apparently read that tale and reeeeeaaaalllly ran with the bestiality thing in his early Mythos stories. Way more "ick" than "horror" in the whole idea. I think I chuckled reading one because it was apparent Bloch thought the idea was supposed to be damn scary and it was so not. That said, Bloch certainly improved with time.

HPL was using an historical account as a basis, so he gets kudos for that, IMO.

As far as Jojo's idea, I wouldn't mind it if it just fit the "facts" of the story a little better. Way to think out of the box, Jojo.   :-D . 

mojojojo

You're correct. Bloch apparently read that tale and reeeeeaaaalllly ran with the bestiality thing in his early Mythos stories. Way more "ick" than "horror" in the whole idea. I think I chuckled reading one because it was apparent Bloch thought the idea was supposed to be damn scary and it was so not. That said, Bloch certainly improved with time.

Which story of his was that?

deuce

Which story of his was that?

I seem to remember that there were three that featured human/animal hybrids. The one I really remember is set in Cornwall with an ancient Egyptian cult. Can't recall the name. Never reread it. Bloch's grasp of history was never particularly good. I know I sound like I hate his work, but some of those early stories were just not good.

Ningauble

I seem to remember that there were three that featured human/animal hybrids. The one I really remember is set in Cornwall with an ancient Egyptian cult. Can't recall the name. Never reread it. Bloch's grasp of history was never particularly good. I know I sound like I hate his work, but some of those early stories were just not good.

Could it have been something like "The Brood of Bubastis"

TMS

Yeah, that would have been it.

deuce

Yes, that is probably it. I do seem to recall there were bestiality references in other early Bloch stories. As I've said, I certainly don't hate all of Bloch's work. I have one of his Arkham House editions. Some of those early Mythos tales are just weak, IMO.

My apologies for derailing Jojo's thread.

Perhaps the man was framed?  Of course, the creature was supposed to have his face, right?  Maybe a Lengite did the deed, but it just so happened that the spawn looked just like him?  :P  Trying to come up with something.

Wembley

Maybe you have stumbled on the whole explanation for the origin and horribleness of the Men of Leng.

Such a shame you now have to diiiiiiiiieeeee...

Hammer

This is what happens when you create a universe with Men of Leng but forget to include Women of Leng.

mojojojo

My apologies for derailing Jojo's thread.

Heck no, the interesting comentary is part of what makes this site so great.

mojojojo

I read one review that said it was stomach turning.What exactly was the big reveal of that story?  Human/Cat hybrids?

Ningauble
I read one review that said it was stomach turning.What exactly was the big reveal of that story?  Human/Cat hybrids?

Alas, I no longer remember -- it's been 20+ years since I read it. IIRC, there were no stories in Mysteries of the Worm that I didn't like at the time.

TMS

In the story there were human hybrids of all kinds, though most were mummified. Satyrs, a dude with a snake growing out of his forehead, a three-headed guy, a limbless guy with an open maw for a head, etc. The only living thing was a giant humanoid monster with a cat-like head.

Dante7

I'd actually thought more some Shub Niggurath connection than Lengite, myself.

mojojojo

I'd actually thought more some Shub Niggurath connection than Lengite, myself.

I guess  both could be connected to the Gof'nn hupadgh

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now