Sign in to follow this  
christian

Cthulhu Invictus combat: help needed

christian

Hello

who can help me with C Invictus combat? Is there an audio or a video somewhere that explains or demonstrates it in an easy way to comprehend? I'm used to firearms, however ineffective, in the Classic era, but really need examples of hand to hand combat in Roman times. I am playing Legacy, and using the 6th ed rules

eternalchampion

As a former "Elric!" GM I think I could be of some help. You could also check the RQ rules, since everything combat related seems to come from there.

Another thing is that all these rules are BRP rules but are not always exactly the same. For example it depends if you are using the Fumble/Failure/Success/Critical Success/Impale system, found in Elric! and sometimes CoC, or the Fumble/Failure/Success/Special Success/Critical Success which is found in BRP yellow book. They are not the same but they actually only differ in some details.

A simple example with the first system.

Eternal vs Christian.

Eternal is a legionary wearing the common armor and helmet, let's say 1d6+1 protection and has a light spear (50%), 1d6+1 +db, and a square shield (50%), which is too heavy for a human to effectively hit but can be used to knock back. Christian has grabbed a gladious(40%), doing damage 1d6+2 +db. They engage face to face in a space well lit (other wise both would have penalties), none of them is surprised and none of them stands in position higher than the other (otherwise one of the would have bonus 10%-20%).

Round 1

Eternal has DEX 11 and Christian 14, but Eternal has a long weapon vs Christian short, so he gets to attack first. Christian declares he will try to Dodge the attack, not to parry it with his sword. This is very important here since Dodge would allow him to CLOSE IN the longer weapon. Eternal rolls 55% a failure, but Christian still has to Dodge (44%) and rolls 88%, a Failure. End of Round 1.

Round 2

Eternal attacks again, this time for 28%, a Success. Christian rolls Dodge for 13%, a Success and closes in. Now he can attack. Eternal declares he will try to parry with his shield. Christian  rolls 40%, a Success. Christian parries for  99%, a Fumble! Now in Elric! there is a Fumble table I use. Let's say he hits his own face with the shield for 1 point of damage. The sword strikes home for 1d6+2 +1d4 (the db), all in all 6 points of damage. eternal rolls for his armor and comes with a 7, the armor absorbs the damage.

Round 3

Christian is now in the spear's guard, he attacks first since his DEX is higher. Eternal declares he will parry and that he will drop the spear to grab the knife from his belt. This will not let him to attack on this round. Christian rolls 35% and strikes, but Eternal rolls for 45% with his shield and blocks the sword, drops the spear, draws the knife.

Round 4

Christian attacks with the sword for 20%, a Success, but Christian blocks for 09% which is below 1/5 of his skill with the shield, hence a Critical Success. He blocks the sword and gets another attack with the other hand. He attacks with the knife for 90%, a Failure. Now is his turn to act and attacks again (his normal attack for the round). He rolls 12% but Christian parries for 38%. Both are Successes so the attack is blocked.

Round 5

Christian attacks for 05% This is a Critical Success and if Eternal can not parry this would mean double damage. Eternal parries for 50%, this is a Success, so the attack passes but does normal damage. Christian rolls for 10hp and Eternal's armor hold just 2. This is 8 hp of damage and since Eternal has 12hp altogether this is a Major wound (you need a major would table here...) This would at least mean that Eternal can stay capable of fighting for 12-8=4 rounds.

Eternal  attacks for 60% a Failure.

Round 6

Christian attacks and Eternal declares a Dodge. Christian rolls 20%, but Eternal Dodges for 07%. Now Eternal can disengage and run away. Christian can follow or continue with his investigation. If Eternal has run away without Dodge this would have given Christian the chance to attack with 20% bonus with no parry or dodge from the opponent.

So, before the combat round all parts (at least PCs) declare what they do. All can do one action, attack, run, move for some distance, move for a small distance and attack, and so on. Dodge, Parry are reactions not actions but they have to be declared when one is facing an imminent attack.

Having two weapons, like a sword and a shield can give the advantage of an extra attack with weapon 2, if you have parried Critically with weapon 1.

Dodge and Parry cannot be performed endlessly. For every subsequent attack on the same round Dodge or/and Parry are reduced by 30%.

There are more rules, but most of them are quite logical and easy to remember. The fights might seem tedious, but coming form a dark fantasy game with many hand to hand fights with the system I can say that it is not bad at all.

Check also this

http://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/BRP/CHA2021%20-%20Basic%20RolePlaying%20Quick-Start.pdf

christian

Thank you so much, I will reread and study this. Much obliged, thanks

eternalchampion

You are welcome Christian, anytime.

wombat1

That is an excellent exposition, and I write only to note three points:

1. I found in running my Invictus campaign that the best way to both learn this and teach it to players was to run a session disconnected from any campaign or scenario, in which the players just went at one another with (laughably bad) characters.  I did this by running a gladiator game, and we just worked through the hand to hand rules slowly, until everyone was comfortable with them.  I expected this to take only a short time, but it was sufficiently fun that we ran it for the entire session.

2.You can, if you wish, dispense with pre-declarations of actions:  "So, before the combat round all parts (at least PCs) declare what they do"  I find they take up time and don't add much, and one can get by with simply counting down the DEX.  You will have to decide what Dex'es the Bad Guys have--it is more interesting to have them have different DEX scores but that is rather more work for the Keeper, who has to play all the bad guys.  On the other hand, if they have only the same or a few scores, clever players can play off of that.

3. This is the key tactical statement, right here: "Eternal is a legionary wearing the common armor and helmet, let's say 1d6+1 protection and has a light spear (50%), 1d6+1 +db.... Christian has grabbed a gladious(40%), doing damage 1d6+2 +db."  Most armors absorb most possible damages under ordinary circumstances.  Players who treasure their right to keep and bear howitzers in 1920's Cthulhu will have to rethink their style at once, as most culturally appropriate Roman weapons do no effective damage against most armors in the ordinary course of rolling.  Mythos critters are similarly hard to do in.