AndyC70

Dagon Magazine

AndyC70

Hi,

I wonder if anyone is able to help me out, I recently came across a couple of issues of Dagon Magazine that someone had scanned had posted online. They were a great read and looking for others I managed to track down the scanner (who called himself Cosmic Jukebox) , but learnt that unfortunately only 2 had ever been made, issues #11 & #25.  I know that the magazine had a very low production run and was actually a non-profit venture. I searched ebay etc. and they do seem like gold dust. I saw 1 used copy for sale for £40.

So my question is, does anyone have any copies that they are willing to scan and share for the community? I am quite happy to build the PDFs from scans or even scan them if you would trust me with your copies (which will be very well cared for and returned immediately). It would be nice if they could find a wider audience, I'm sure more people would want to read them now than back in the day.

Also, I've tried to contact Carl T Ford the editor/owner to ask his permission, but without luck so far, so if anyone knows him please could you mention it this message. If he wants to make them available digitally for sale again I can probably help out with that too. OBS would be an obvious choice because of the gaming content.

Many thanks, Andrew 

P.S. Please let me know if I've posted this message in the wrong place,  was a little unsure where it should go.

WinstonP

Dagon is the Intellectual property of Carl Ford. You cannot scan and distribute it, privately or publicly, without his permission.

AndyC70

Yes, I was hoping to contact him. If you know him, please could you ask him if he would consider making them available digitally. 

WinstonP

I've actually tried a few years ago (found a possible lead on Facebook) but he did not respond. Perhaps you might see if anyone else in YSDC had a lead?

(I've managed to squirrel away a grand total of 3 issues and I'm a collector. ;) )

AndyC70

I've actually tried a few years ago (found a possible lead on Facebook) but he did not respond. Perhaps you might see if anyone else in YSDC had a lead?

(I've managed to squirrel away a grand total of 3 issues and I'm a collector. ;) )

Cool, I'll keep trying. Carl T Ford seems to be is a really hard person to track down. I guess he would be in his 50's or even older by now... it was my worry that he may have even passed away. I saw there was an interview with him in back 2010 and that there was going to be a special edition of the magazine produced, but then things went quiet.

It would be nice if people could still get hold of it electronically.

PoC

As of writing Carl Ford is still alive.

There have been several enquires made to Carl over the years about making DAGON magazine available again. The answer is no due to the many copyright hurdles that would need to be overcome from all the individual contributors from 30+ years ago. (A similar reason why you don't see old White Dwarf or Owl & Weasel magazines reprinted).

Carl's current web site is: http://unrated.co.uk/

Copies (or even large runs) of DAGON do appear on places like eBay from time to time, but it can take years to track them down - I'm still missing one.

A digital version of DAGON #1 is available here on YSDC (which I created with Carl's permission as he produced it all himself).

jasonw1239

If I recall properly there was one vendor at NecronomiCon 2015 in Providence that had several large boxes of Dagon magazines available.

You may be able to round up physical issues at any number of the Lovecraft festivals. Perhaps NecronomiCon 2017 in Providence Rhode Island.

yockenthwaite

Carl also sells off various copies of DAGON from time to time via his eBay account.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/fussygerbil

Yes, I bought a few copies from him in recent years. Nice as new condition.

beasterbrook

Carl can easily bee found in this facebook group..

"Friends of Dagon Press, publisher of Dagon magazine"

TheHistorian

I've been looking for a long time, and I'm still missing more than I have found.