dce

[Reborn] Convicts & Cthulhu: Australia in the 18th Century

beasterbrook

I'll take a POD as usual..

Brette:)

dce

I'll take a POD as usual..

Great to hear Brett ... (this time around POD copies are available via RPGNow ... i hope you enjoy your printed copy :)).

Dean (from Adelaide)

dce

For folks who have nabbed a copy of Convicts & Cthulhu, you may be interested in a new freebie mini-supplement released today by Cthulhu Reborn. Ticket of Leave #2 expands the Convicts & Cthulhu setting by providing details about French explorations of early Australia. It includes historical background, some ideas about French occult interests, a pair of new professions and a scenario sketch.

cr3005b-convicts-cthulhu-ticket-of-leave

The early days of the Australian colonies coincides with a period where France and England were bitter enemies -- sometimes at war. Although England has stamped its ownership by founding the settlement of New South Wales, the continent of Australia is a vast place and the French are known to be lurking in the seas nearby, conducting their own "scientific explorations". But do the French have more sinister intentions for the new land? Are there plans for a French colonisation? And what of the rumours that some French officers assigned to these exploratory missions swear allegiance to a peculiar occult society? Is there some particular reason that France is especially diligent in acquiring territories in the South Pacific ... are they searching for something in the "lands down under"?

Ticket of Leave #2: Tricolour Terror is a six-page PDF, and is available now as a free download from RPGNow.

Dean (from Adelaide)

Taavi

Great stuff Dean.

dce

For those with an interest in Convict-y Cthulhu goodness ... I have just written over a post over on the Cthulhu Reborn blog about the amazingly fun Convicts & Cthulhu session that I was invited to run at PAX Aus on the weekend.

It was great to introduce some new players to the squalid setting of C&C (and in many cases introduce them to Call of Cthulhu altogether) -- given the gruesome and blood-drenched way in which the game ended I think the demo session nicely encapsulated everything that is great about both!

If anybody else is interested in running a Convicts & Cthulhu session in a short-ish convention slot (I ran the introductory session in 2 hours), I have shared a load of resources as part of the blog posting, including six pre-filled pre-gen character sheets, a detailed session staging guide and a bunch of other stuff. If anybody *does* decide they want Convicts along at their con, feel free to drop a post here (or get in touch with me some other way) to let me know how it worked for you!

Dean (from Adelaide)

dce

Yoggies who have nabbed themselves copies of the (Pay-What-You Want) Convicts & Cthulhu sourcebook might be interested to hear that we mad cultists at Cthulhu Reborn have just released another small supplement in the "Convicts & Cthulhu: Tickets of Leave" series. This 8 page free PDF expands upon the C&C setting by providing details of the seedy criminal underworld that existed in the townships of early New South Wales, and giving players the opportunity to see life through the eyes of gang members.

cr3005c-convicts-cthulhu-ticket-of-leave

The majority of the Europeans living in the penal colony of New South Wales are there because of their guilty association with the world of crime. This is just as true for the gaolers as it is for the convicts they guard. Not surprisingly, incarceration in a large and remote prison has done little to turn felons from their criminal ways (despite brutal attempts to enforce "law and order"). The larger cities are rife with shadowy criminal groups -- some merely thieving to survive, others plotting sketchy political and business dealings. But in a place where the forces of the Cthulhu Mythos are never far away, there is always the chance that "a simple plan" might lead criminals into something far, far more dangerous.

Ticket of Leave #3 - Criminal Enterprise provides Keepers with resources to portray the seedy criminal underworld, and allow players to take on the roles of gang members. The PDF includes backgrounds and CoC 7th Edition stats for a ready-to-use gang of nefarious folks; it also includes a detailed scenario sketch which focusses on a double-crossing smuggling mission that leads the criminal investigators into the clutches of some rather unsavoury Mythos forces.

We hope that folks who are running Convicts & Cthulhu games will find this a useful (freebie) addition to the setting.

Dean (from Adelaide)

dce

Cthulhu Reborn is delighted to announce the release of the fourth in the Tickets of Leave supplements for Convicts & Cthulhu. This PDF -- our largest yet, weighing in at 14 pages -- is titled "The Vanishing Ensign". It's written primarily by Geoff Gillan (with minimal tinkering from yours truly).

cr3005d-convicts-cthulhu-ticket-of-leave

Ticket of Leave #4 collects together two different types of game resources -- an overarching campaign frame, and a much more detailed sketch for a specific scenario. Both of them revolve around a real-world historical incident: the Grand Muster of 1807, an attempt to undertake a huge survey of the full extent of the (badly provisioned) military forces in the colony of New South Wales. Everybody who lived in the colony was well aware of the short-comings of the force of troops that had been sent out by the Colonial Office to keep the peace, and even more aware of the poor quality of military equipment at their disposal. This "census" was supposed to prove to those back in London that this far-off colony really *was* on the brink of rebellion, anarchy, or invasion by the French. Of course in the world of Call of Cthulhu, there are much more terrifying things that might consume the poorly-defended fledgling colony before any of those ...

In addition to providing resources to allow a Keeper to use the circumstances of Bligh's muster as the basis for an ongoing series of scenarios, Ticket of Leave #4 also presents a detailed sketch for one specific scenario, an investigation into odd anomaly -- a soldier who turns up on every record book, but cannot ever be found. Rather than presenting just one Mythos explanation for these dark events, three different Mythos "solutions" are offered, allowing the Keeper to pick something that ties in best with his or her ongoing game.

Ticket of Leave #4: The Vanishing Ensign is available right now at RPG Now. Because this supplement is considerably larger than those we've previously released, we've chosen to make this a "Pay What You Want" title rather than simply a free download. You are, of course, more than welcome to grab it free of charge (with our blesing) -- but if you do want to chip a dollar or two our way to help us keep making these titles, your donation would be very welcome!

We hope your players enjoy scouring the grubby streets and bushland of early New South Wales, in search of that damn Vanishing Ensign.

Dean (from Adelaide)

dce

Those who have been following Cthulhu Reborn's ongoing series of mini-supplements to the Convicts & Cthulhu setting, may be interested to learn that we've just released the fifth installment in the "Ticket of Leave" series -- ToL#5: The Damned & The Degenerate. This PDF completely overhauls and massively expands the character generation guideliness from the original C&C book.

ToL#5 is avalable right now via RPGNow as a Pay-What-You-Want PDF.

cr3005e-convicts-cthulhu-ticket-of-leave

This supplement weighs in at 24 pages (and as such really doesn't qualify as a "mini-supplement" anymore). Unlike previous "Ticket of Leave" titles which have focussed on expanding the setting by introducing narrative elements like scenario seeds, this supplement revisits the character options/templates for the colonial Australian convict setting and adds almost 30 new occupation types.

Ever wanted to play an indigenous "bush constable" who works with prison guards to track down escaped convicts? What about a convict who was a professional gambler before being caught? Or one of the colony's fearless explorers charged with the task of filling the huge blanks on the maps? Alternatively, maybe you'd care to play a French spy who has been paid to infiltrate the colony to find out the strength of the British military presence in Australia? All of these character types -- and lots, lots more -- are now at your fingertips.

To complement the character creation templates, we've also peppered the PDF with examples of real-world ordinary characters who held those professions: these fully-statted write-ups are based on real historical figures (since the real lives of people in the colonies is far more rich and colourful than any fiction we could dream up). Also included are some notes on unusual character options -- like early bushrangers (escapees that decided to try to survive off the alien land), or free wives that accompanied their convict husbands[*] ...

All up, this PDF replaces the few scant pages devoted to character creation in the main Convicts & Cthulhu with a comprehensive set of interesting and colourful options for player investigators or Keeper NPCs.

You can grab it right now from RPGNow -- because this is much longer than we really intended for the "smaller" Ticket of Leave releases we've made this another "Pay-What-You-Want" title. However, in the interests of keeping the whole C&C line as accessible as possible, we are more than happy if folks (particularly YSDC-ers) want to grab it for free -- consider anything you contribute to be a small (and very welcome) donation to help Cthulhu Reborn keep these coming ...

We hope you enjoy filling your Convicts & Cthulhu games with all manner of ... the damned and the degenerate :)

Dean

[*] This is a weird historical detail that I never knew about -- some convict men transported to Australia were accompanied by their (non-convicted) wives, who effectively came out as free settlers. Because convicts were often assigned to settlers as a kind of free labour force this led to a number of unusual cases of men being assigned to their own wives as workers.

Lammomedes

Dean,

I'm about to embark on the development of a Convicts & Cthulhu-based LARP (Freeform for the rest of the world) to run next spring. It should be interesting bringing this to a American audience at a small spring convention next year. Maybe 12-15 players is what I am shooting for, and when I mentioned to some of the tabletop players last year, they were intrigued to play.

PS: Many kudos for the character sheet for Convicts & Cthulhu from those self-same players when I used it for a 17th century set Cthulhu game. Some of the skills, of course, were not apropos but others felt extremely appropriate including "Bootlicking."

PSS: I am still going to get my home group to run through some of the plot lines my writing partner and I come up with to test them out in a different way.

Thanks again for creating this great setting and providing support for it.

Lamm/Matt

dce

Dean,

I'm about to embark on the development of a Convicts & Cthulhu-based LARP (Freeform for the rest of the world) to run next spring. It should be interesting bringing this to a American audience at a small spring convention next year. Maybe 12-15 players is what I am shooting for, and when I mentioned to some of the tabletop players last year, they were intrigued to play.

PS: Many kudos for the character sheet for Convicts & Cthulhu from those self-same players when I used it for a 17th century set Cthulhu game. Some of the skills, of course, were not apropos but others felt extremely appropriate including "Bootlicking."

PSS: I am still going to get my home group to run through some of the plot lines my writing partner and I come up with to test them out in a different way.

Thanks again for creating this great setting and providing support for it.

Lamm/Matt

Matt,

This sounds like a fantastic idea for a game -- and like you I will be most interested to hear how your in-house group and convention group find the (LARP-ed) Convicts & Cthulhu experience.

BTW: from talking to a variety of gamers it seems that although most people (Australians included) don't have much knowledge about the early history of the convict colonies, the key "themes" of the setting are very easy to understand. It's a game set in an enormous a prison. It's in a ridiculously remote part of the world. And it's full of cruel and highly-corrupt guards. Even just that is enough to get things going -- the finer details can get sketched in as the game unfolds.

Thanks,

Dean (from Adelaide)

nclarke

I'm guessing that some of  the scenarios could be transposed into any situation where you have a big prison, say the 1930's USSR or current North Korea or some future similar situation where the inmates have voted themselves into setting up the prison i.e. 1984.

Nigel

dce

I'm guessing that some of  the scenarios could be transposed into any situation where you have a big prison, say the 1930's USSR or current North Korea or some future similar situation where the inmates have voted themselves into setting up the prison i.e. 1984.

There is definitely potential for doing this kind of thing -- a few people have even suggested to me more radical "reimaginings" of the convicts material, for example transposing the material to a future space-faring setting where some kind of alien world serves as an isolated "space penal colony" (come to think of it, the first few episodes of Blakes 7 featured exactly this kind of thing).

What can I say, gamers are creative kinds of people. And that's a good thing.

Dean (from Adelaide)

dce

Those who have been following the (rapidly-expanding) Convicts & Cthulhu product line that Cthulhu Reborn has been publishing, might be interested to hear that we've just released the sixth supplement in the "Ticket of Leave" series. Ticket of Leave #6: Night of the Convict Dead is available right now over on RPGNow.

cr3005f-convicts-cthulhu-ticket-of-leave

This supplement differs slightly in format from some of the previous "Ticket of Leave" titles in that it devotes most of its 15 pages to a somewhat-ready-to-run scenario (the eponymous "Night of the Convict Dead"). This is supported by some historical source material which can be extrapolated by Keepers for other purposes. It also featurs some awesome new artwork from Reuben Dodd (see above).

The subject matter of this supplement is simple: it's about death in the early penal colonies of Australia. Because of a combination of rampant disease, poor hygiene, horrific and barbaric punishments, and the occasional hanging, Death is a pretty frequent visitor to the colonies. This creates some practical problems, mostly relating to the sanitary disposal of so many corpses. Remarkably, the early colonies seem to have approached this in an entirely haphazard way -- while there were allocated burying grounds, the arrangement of graves within those spaces was pretty random, and no official records were kept of who was buried where. Because gravedigging was a job given to convicts -- who hardly had an incentive to do a good job -- many graves were dug much shallower than is ideal. This created noxious odours whenever the weather got hot, and attracted pigs and goats from neighbouring farmlands, who sometimes dug at graves.

All of this adds up to a setting where there is an ample supply of corpses, and not too much care taken in keeping track of them ... and in the worlds of the Cthulhu Mythos, that can only spell trouble. After all, how much easier would the "researches" of young Herbert West have been if he had a ready and limitless supply of source materials sitting right at his doorstep?

The scenario component of this "Ticket of Leave" explores a detailed investigation where an unlucky bunch of investigators are given the task of getting to the bottom of a sudden rash of dead bodies discovered in several places around the colony. In each case, two corpses were discovered in close proximity -- one a recent victim of violence, but the other ... well those all look to have been dead for a considerable time. Do your plucky investigators dare to plumb the depths of this macabre mystery -- and, more importantly, can they act fast enough to stop -- The Night of the Convict Dead?!

As a side-note, this release also marks a special occasion for "Convicts & Cthulhu" -- it's one year ago today that the core C&C book was first released. As we described over on this blog post, since that time that book and its supplements have sold around 3,600 PDFs and softcover books -- which is an amazing achievement for a tiny publisher like Cthulhu Reborn. We are heartily indebted to the many, many people who've grabbed our book, whether as free downloads or accompanied by an ever-helpful donation. We hope that Convicts & Cthulhu has brought some quirky fun to your gaming table!

Ticket of Leave #6: Night of the Convict Dead is downloadable right now via RPGNow -- as with other larger titles we have made this a "Pay-What-You-Want" title. Of course we are more than happy if folks (particular readers of this forum) want to grab it free of charge -- but equally, if you'd like to chip in a small donation to help keeping the C&C line going, everything that you're able to contribute is very, very much appreciated.

We hope you enjoy the "Night of the Convict Dead" ... and trust that you will put on a suitably creepy-sounding voice when you declare "They're Coming To Get You, Convicts!" :)

Dean (from Adelaide)

andreroy

I've had it for a bit, but just finished reading through Convicts & Cthulhu as well as the 6 Tickets of Leave. Great material and can't wait for the future ToL (especially the Gentlemen Convict one hinted in #5).

Now I need to find a way to combine Cakebread and Walton's Dark Street (1749 London) and Convict's and Cthulhu  :twisted:

dce

Over on the Cthulhu Reborn blog, we've recently announced the release of the seventh in our "Ticket of Leave" line of supplements to Convicts & Cthulhu. Ticket of Leave #7 is subtitled "Seams of Gold" and takes as its starting point a rather obscure (but true) tale of brazen convict mendacity.

cr3005g-convicts-cthulhu-ticket-of-leave

The historical tale: Chances are you have heard something about the great Gold Rushes that formed an important part of early Australian history (coming as they did at a similar time to the Californian gold rushes of the 1840s). But you will almost certainly never have heard about the first great "gold fever" that struck the penal colonies of Australia. Late in 1788 -- less than a year after the first white settlement at New South Wales -- a convict named Daley made a magnificent discovery, stumbling across some nuggets of gold-bearing rock while out working in a remote part of the colony. Not only that, but the man claimed to have discovered a 'gold mine' out in the remote mountains where lots of mineral wealth might be extracted. Excited by the evidence presented by Daley, the government of the penal colony despatched an expedition to the place nominated. And that's when they discovered that the whole thing was an elaborate hoax perpetrated by the master forger and confidence man, Daley.

Ticket of Leave #7: Seams of Gold riffs on this weird little historical nugget, mixing it with generous doses of Lovecraftian themes, hopefully producing some intriguing versions of the tale for your horror roleplaying enjoyment. The 14-page fully-illustrated PDF is a free download, available right now. It features a replica of the original London news article describing the hoax, details of the historical event, and a scenario seed version with three different options for taking it in a Mythos-direction. Perhaps the gold nuggets manufactured by the untrustworthy convict contained elements of something otherworldly that in turn controls his actions? Or maybe he was in thrall to one of the unclean gods of the Cthulhu Mythos? Or maybe the whole thing is an "innocent scam" ... but the remote location chosen by the convict for his fakery is actually home to something much more ancient than he could ever know?

We hope that you and your gaming group enjoy getting to the bottom of this tale of gold, lies, and cosmic horror.

Note: this is the first PDF that we have released to fit with Chaosium's "Fan Use" policy -- this has occasioned a few small changes. In particular, it's meant that we have decided to produce two versions of this "Ticket of Leave #7 PDF". The version available direct from the Cthulhu Reborn blog (link) is a version complete with full game statistics for Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition. This is the version most folks will want. There is a separate generic/systemless version of the same material that is available via RPGNow (link).

Enjoy!

Dean (from Adelaide)

dce

Over on the Cthulhu Reborn blog, we've recently announced the release of the eighth in our "Ticket of Leave" line of supplements to Convicts & Cthulhu. Ticket of Leave #8 is subtitled "Gentlemen Convicts" and explores the curious social sub-class of wealthy men (and women) who were sentenced to transportation to Australia, either because of criminal acts or (more commonly) because of their political affiliations.

cr3005h-convicts-cthulhu-ticket-of-leave

Although the so-called "Gentlemen Convicts" were numerically few -- little more than a historical footnote -- the unique blend of privilege (borne by former wealth back in Britain) and dubious legal status (from being a convict) makes for characters with an unusually fertile story potential. Gentlemen Convicts would make for great NPCs in a Convicts & Cthulhu campaign or scenario, either serving as handy solo villains or joining together (as they did historically) into covert societies. Then, of course, there is the potential of having a Gentleman Convict as an investigator -- allowing one or more of your players to experience the strange position that these wealthy criminals occupied in society.

Ticket of Leave #8: Gentlemen Convicts includes historical information about the privileges and tribulations suffered by Gentlemen Convicts and provides capsule biographical summaries of five diverse historical examples (any of which would make great NPCs or inspiration for an investigator's background). The bulk of the supplement comprises a lengthy (11,500 word) scenario seed that plunges investigators into a blood-soaked murder spree which might, or might not, be supernatural in origin. A secret society of Gentlemen Convicts is the target for this violent stalker, yet nobody can say why his (its?) interests have fixed upon the group. It is up to the investigators to get to the bottom of the motives of this gruesome predator ... but can they solve the mystery in time? Or will the stalker's bloody trail of murder and dismemberment end with every member of the society dead and in pieces? (Cue horrible new art by the always-amazing Reuben Dodd, commissioned for this PDF).

tol8-blue-coat-sml.jpg

As always, we hope that this absolutely FREE 20 page PDF supplement assists you and your gaming group in creating an inspiring historical gaming experience steeped in gentlemanly manners, squalor, and cosmic horror.

Note: as with the previous PDF we released in the "Tickets of Leave" series, this one is released upon Chaosium's "Fan Use" policy -- this has meant that we've been obliged to create two slightly different versions of the PDF, one which contains Call of Cthulhu, 7th Edition statistics and one which is systemless/generic. The version that is downloadable direct from the Cthulhu Reborn blog (link here) is the complete STATTED version of the PDF and will be what most readers here will want. If you'd prefer the generic version, you can always grab it from RPGNow. When we first approached this way of releasing PDFs we feared that this two-version approach might be off-putting to people -- but download and sales statistics would seem to suggest that isn't the case at all (thankfully!)

Enjoy!

Dean (from Adelaide)

Also: another small milestone for the Convicts & Cthulhu line -- with this new "Ticket of Leave" release we have now published over 200 pages of material for the colonial convict setting, all of it professionally illustrated and produced.

And most importantly -- all of it available (in PDF) for FREE!

Dean (from Adelaide)

nclarke

Thank you Dean for another great (and free) resource for gaming in the colonies.

joe adams

An amazing resource! Thanks for the great work.

dce

Over on the Cthulhu Reborn blog, we have just announced the release of the tenth book in the Convicts & Cthulhu product line. Ticket of Leave #9, subtitled, "Orphan School Horror" includes a (vaguely) Christmas themed scenario for you and your gaming group to enjoy over the holidays ... if you like dark eerie tales set in old, drafty colonial Orphanages that is.

It is probably worth mentioning that, unlike most of the previous scenarios we've released for the C&C setting, this one would lend itself to easy transportation to a different time and place. So, if you're running a historical game in colonial America -- and want to drop in a haunted orphanage, then this would be a useful resource. Same for other times and places. I mention this because some folks skip C&C downloads because they have no interest in the historical Australian setting.

cr3005i-convicts-cthulhu-ticket-of-leave

We are particularly proud of this supplement for two reasons. Firstly, it's our longest scenario-based release to date (13,500 words -- 23 pages). Secondly, it takes the Convicts & Cthulhu setting into a different kind of place -- we've done a number of scenarios which highlight the brutality of the convict prisons, and also the stark alienness of the Australian bush (to convict eyes anyway). This time we are exploring a much more personal, brooding kind of horror tale. Thanks to Geoff Gillan for his inspired choice.

You can download a free PDF version of Ticket of Leave #9 either from the Cthulhu Reborn downloads page, or directly from this link.

the-orphanage-sml.jpg

Note: as with the previous PDF we released in the "Tickets of Leave" series, this one is released upon Chaosium's "Fan Use" policy -- this has meant that we've been obliged to create two slightly different versions of the PDF, one which contains Call of Cthulhu, 7th Edition statistics and one which is systemless/generic. The version that is downloadable direct from the Cthulhu Reborn blog (link here) is the complete STATTED version of the PDF and will be what most readers here will want. If you'd prefer the generic version, you can always grab it from RPGNow.

As always we really hope that folks enjoy exploring the creepy, investigation-based scenario Geoff has created. If you do decide to run this (or any) Convicts & Cthulhu scenario, we'd love to hear how it went. Also Cthulhu Reborn offers generous gifts to those who run C&C scenarios at conventions -- get in touch if that's you.

Finally, I just wanted to take a moment to personally thank all those who have bought and/or downloaded Convicts & Cthulhu releases this year. Your support and encouragement has allowed us to turn something that *could* have been a one-shot idea into a rich and multi-faceted setting which can support any type of Lovecraftian story. We thank you from the bottom of our convict hearts :)

Dean (from Adelaide)

nclarke

Thank you for another well done piece. You do a marvellous job with these.

joe adams

I'd also like to thank you for this great set of work. I hope you continue to publish more installments of C&C.

I mention this because some folks skip C&C downloads because they have no interest in the historical Australian setting.

I've framed them all on a remote planet that is home to a penal colony in a Traveler universe. Very little rework required. 

dce

I'd also like to thank you for this great set of work. I hope you continue to publish more installments of C&C.

I've framed them all on a remote planet that is home to a penal colony in a Traveler universe. Very little rework required.

Yes, there is more Convicts & Cthulhu still in the pipeline ... so plenty of things to keep your unhappy space convicts investigating the weird and horrific.

I hope your players enjoy the curious haunting of the orphanage (space orphanage?) :)

Dean (from Adelaide)

Lammomedes

I'm truly enjoying putting together two scenarios for runs this year, one in April at a small convention, and the other for GenCon in August 2018. I've run the still unreleased Colonial Cthulhu in the past to great acclaim, so I think this time around I am going to run Convicts & Cthulhu for at least two sessions. The April con will be the test of the scenario, the GenCon runs will be the fine tuning with a diverse group of 6-8 players.

Keep up the good work Dean.

dce

Over on the Cthulhu Reborn, we have just today announced the release of the tenth installment in the Ticket of Leave line of (increasingly-not-very) mini supplements to the Convicts & Cthulhu setting. ToL #10 is subtitled "The Doom That Came To Five Dock"

cr3005j-convicts-cthulhu-ticket-of-leave

In this free 17 page fully-illustrated PDF, Keepers will find a detailed scenario which puts investigators on the trail of a most unlikely horror. According to tales that have recently arrived in Sydney town, the small ferry staging point at Five Dock has been entirely flattened by a vast and terrible force. The one man rescued from the ruins tells an insane story -- the wharves and buildings at Five Dock, not to mention the score of people beside them -- were devastated, not by a natural disaster but a huge misshapen insect thing!

This scenario balances an opportunity for some investigation into the weird circumstances leading up to the destruction of Five Dock, as well as plenty of action as investigators struggle to bring an end to an ongoing infestation ... of the Cthulhu Mythos variety.

You can download a free PDF version of Ticket of Leave #10 either from the Cthulhu Reborn downloads page, or directly from this link

Note: as with the previous PDF we released in the "Tickets of Leave" series, this one is released upon Chaosium's "Fan Use" policy -- this has meant that we've been obliged to create two slightly different versions of the PDF, one which contains Call of Cthulhu, 7th Edition statistics and one which is systemless/generic. The version that is downloadable direct from the Cthulhu Reborn blog (linked above) is the complete STATTED version of the PDF and will be what most readers here will want. If you'd prefer the generic version, you can always grab it from RPGNow.

As always we hope that you and your gaming group will enjoy this release. Unlike some of our other Convicts & Cthulhu material, this scenario only has loose ties to the penal-colony setting, and so would likely be re-usable for other (non-convicty) Lovecratian settings ...

Thanks,

Dean (from Adelaide)

dce

Despite having slightly missed our deadline for the next Ticket of Leave supplement for Convicts & Cthulhu (which was originally due in April), we are very pleased to announce over on the Cthulhu Reborn blog that it has just hit the streets!

cr3005k-convicts-cthulhu-ticket-of-leave

Ticket of Leave #11 is titled "The Dispensatory of Doctor Macdead" and concerns itself with the (prosaically horrible) state of medical treatment in the early penal settlements of Australia. The early colonial surgeons and doctors had a lot to contend with -- not only was medical since remarkably primitive (by our standards) in the late 18th century, but the supplies of European-prepared medicines to the far-flung colonies was, shall we say, rather sparse and unreliable.

Compounding this again, there was a shortage of official doctors and no real regulation about who could call themselves a medical practitioner. This lead to a spate of charlatans and hoaxers who set themselves up as "private doctors" to supplement the meagre resources of actual trained medicos. While not necessarily malicious (most were just in it for the money), it was a fairly unenviable situation nonetheless.

convicts-cthulhu-doctors-surgery-sml.jpg

The format for this supplement closely follows previous entries in the "Ticket of Leave" series, including some helpful source material about portraying medical practice in the colonies (something all investigators are bound to need eventually), followed by a scenario seed. The scenario portion of this supplement revolves around some rather unorthodox medical practices undertaken in the Parramatta area. Are the rumours of weird medical "transformations" real or fake? What if anything do they have to do with the "Ticket of Leave" convict called Macdead who seems to have gone missing? Answers can only be found by delving into the dark and messy machinations of the Cthulhu Mythos.

This PDF, in addition to featuring yet ANOTHER awesome new illustration by legendary Lovecraftian illustrator Reuben Dodd, is also the largest supplement we have released for Convicts & Cthulhu. It comprises about 14,000 words and checks in at 25 pages. As with all of our "Ticket of Leave" supplements we are pleased to make it available as both a free download from the Cthulhu Reborn blog or as a "Pay What You Want" title on RPG Now (for folks who would prefer to chip in a small donation to help us keep making these products).

Note: as with all recent PDF we've created for the "Tickets of Leave" series, this one is released under Chaosium's "Fan Use" policy -- this has meant that while the version supplied as a direct download from Cthulhu Reborn can include Call of Cthulhu game statistrics, the version on RPG Now cannot. Most folks here will likely want the STATTED version (from Cthulhu Reborn), but both are linked above. And for people who have asked me why this curious restriction exists ... honestly, I don't understand it either.

As with all our C&C releases, we sincerely hope that folks find some way to use this great (free!) material to enliven their own games -- whether that's just as a quick one-shot to try out the colonial prison setting, or as part of an ongoing Convicts & Cthulhu campaign!

Thanks,

Dean (from Adelaide)