dce

[Reborn] Convicts & Cthulhu: Australia in the 18th Century

dce

I found out that Lulu won't print a copy because it is password protected. If anyone else discovered something else, let me know.

Frankly, that's okay with me.

I can get it printed out a different way and then take it to my local copy center and get it bound there.

Won't be as nice looking as an actual book, but it will work out.

Huh ... I didn't know that LULU had that restriction either.

If you can hold off for a day or two, I am looking into ways of making it easy for folks who want to go the POD route to get their own printed version of "Convicts & Cthulhu." For those who don't want to go to this trouble themselves, I will also probably be coordinating a limited-time deal where I'll happily arrange POD copies for folks who can PayPal me the cost-price. Keep an eye on the Cthulhu Reborn blog for details.

Dean (from Adelaide)

Lammomedes

Dean,

Either way would be fine. I'm in no rush to print out, and here in the states, it would take a little bit of arm wrangling to get my players to play in a place they know very little about. But I am sure my regular group would be happy to give it a go as a one-off session if nothing else.

Again, thanks for the fine work. Spent part of the afternoon reading the pdf from start to finish. I'm glad I still have at least one copy of the Australia Sourcebook and as an alpha playtester for Colonial Cthulhu, I still have all those files too.

TheHistorian

For those who don't want to go to this trouble themselves, I will also probably be coordinating a limited-time deal where I'll happily arrange POD copies for folks who can PayPal me the cost-price. Keep an eye on the Cthulhu Reborn blog for details.

Dean (from Adelaide)

Please announce it here too!

nclarke

I fixed the Secured issue by printing it into another file. I used a clip feature to take the front and back covers and make them jpegs and placed them side-by-side in Irfanview before stretching the picture slightly to fit the Lulu cover size spec. I uploaded the interior added the cover and it's on the way. Simples!

BTW the LULURC code doesn't work for authored material as it's already discounted for author's proof copies. I got it done for £3.18 plus shipping on top of the £5 I paid for the pdf.

I regularly do copies of material this way as shipping from the US to Europe is a b*tch. It might cost a little more than the raw cost of a printed book from the usual sources but the shipping cost is much lower.

Mankcam

As an Australian we have such an untapped history here perfect for period setting games like Cthulhu, so it's great to see a new product set here in Australia.

Excellent work, greatly appreciated!

Lammomedes

I fixed the Secured issue by printing it into another file. I used a clip feature to take the front and back covers and make them jpegs and placed them side-by-side in Irfanview before stretching the picture slightly to fit the Lulu cover size spec. I uploaded the interior added the cover and it's on the way. Simples!

BTW the LULURC code doesn't work for authored material as it's already discounted for author's proof copies. I got it done for £3.18 plus shipping on top of the £5 I paid for the pdf.

I regularly do copies of material this way as shipping from the US to Europe is a b*tch. It might cost a little more than the raw cost of a printed book from the usual sources but the shipping cost is much lower.

I'm glad you got it to work, but that's a bit more work than I am sure I can do without watching some Youtube "How to" videos first. LOL

Don't get me wrong, I'm no computer dummy, but sometimes I forget to think outside the box to do what you ended up doing.

fluffy

A talented and dedicated addition to the Cthulhu tapestry. I am interested in the shiny new aspects that Australia and the story of the migration of convict, soldier and would be new australian give to the range of advemtures. In a way its like a new planet, supply lines were v stretched and knowledge of local flora and fauna scant. I look forward to experimenting with this.

alexander1968

I have just bought the book and it seems of amazing quality for a freebie. These are hard times, so I did not pay as much as I wanted  :?  but at least it was abit above average  8)

Mankcam

+1 for a PoD !!!

jaysun81

I will also probably be coordinating a limited-time deal where I'll happily arrange POD copies for folks who can PayPal me the cost-price. Keep an eye on the Cthulhu Reborn blog for details.

Sweet! I'll be looking for that. 

dce

Thanks to everyone who has downloaded (and donated hard-earned dollars for) Convicts & Cthulhu. We've had a great response over on RPGNow, where C&C was unbelievably the #1 hottest download for the best part of the week (it's been knocked down to #2 in the last day or so). I'm particularly thankful to those who have donated -- someone even chipped in US$20 which is ridiculously generous. But really, even for those who've downloaded C&C for free we are very grateful for your interest (so, don't feel bad @alexander1968 -- we're stoked that you think the book is worth reading).

We are currently working through options for a POD release, and will announce something here as soon as we've got something set up with a printer (and reviewed a proof copy to make sure it meets quality expectations).

BTW: for those who haven't yet checked out the C&C setting, I think @fluffy's summation of its quirky historical "alien-ness" is spot on the money. When we were researching the earliest days of European settlement in Australia it was strange to read the contemporary accounts of how people perceived their new environment. Today, we'd call the landscape on which they settled amazingly fertile and probably quite beautiful, but the written descriptions of the day highlight how unfamiliar and "alien" everything seemed. Even the animals seemed weird; nobody really knew what lay beyond the boundaries of the tiny settlements. And despite it being a fertile land, the early colonists relied on shipments of food from England which occasionally ran late or never arrived, leaving the fledgling colony on the brink of starvation (even though there was loads of "bush food" all around). All-in-all it is very reminscent of fictional accounts of colonisation of distant and alien planets ... only with an 18th century backdrop :)

Thanks again to the hundreds of folks who have already snapped up a copy of Convicts & Cthulhu -- if you haven't yet got a copy, the link is: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/184226/Convicts--Cthulhu

Dean (from Adelaide)

nclarke

My Lulu printed copy was waiting for me when I got back from Games Expo this evening and looks great. My cropping and pasting the cover together left a slight white line at the top edge of the front cover but nothing serious. The binding is solid and the whole thing look great on  my shelf. Thanks Dean,

Nigel

dce

First off, can I just say that I have been absolutely overwhelmed with the response that Convicts & Cthulhu has received. Virtual copies have been literally flying off the virtual shelves at RPGNow almost as quick as the bit-duplicators can make new PDF copies :) In all, well over 700 copies were sold in the first month that the PDF was on sale ... which for a tiny operation like Cthulhu Reborn is a big deal. Thanks to this demand Convicts & Cthulhu was RPGNow's "hottest title" for the first 4 or 5 days after its release and has only just dropped out of the top 15 list. Quite a few folks have also taken the opportunity to use the "Pay-What-You-Want" purchasing option for the PDF to donate a few bucks to Cthulhu Reborn; this generosity is very much appreciated.

Several folks have asked (here and on other forums) about a Print On Demand option for Convicts & Cthulhu ... and who am I to say to no to such a cool suggestion. So, as of a few moments ago I have uploaded and activated the softcopy print version of the book. Like the PDF this is a "Pay-What-You-Want" book ... which means something slightly different for a print book. Because it obviously costs some nominal amount to produce a physical book there is a minimum amount you must enter into the "Pay-What-You-Want" box. That amount is effectively the cost-price of printing the book; in the case of the 96-page Convicts & Cthulhu (with B&W interior and colour covers) that's about US$4.00. You are more than welcome to just enter in the cost price and proceed to the checkout, where you will need to add postage as per a normal book. Alternatively you can enter an amount MORE than the cost-price, which means that that extra amount goes to Cthulhu Reborn.

RPG's postage for the physical book obviously depend on where in the world you live -- their POD printing is via Lightning Source who have production facilities in the US, UK and Europe (and maybe other places too). Realistically though most folks will probably pay about US$5 or so for shipping, brining the base cost to about US$9 ish or so. That's still a pretty cheap deal for a 96 page book printed and shipped I guess.

The proof copy that I have received looks really cool ... I currently only have camera-phone quality pics, but the image below gives you some idea of how the book turned out :)

convicts-cthulhu-softcover-pic1-sml.jpg

Thanks again to everyone who bought Convicts & Cthulhu ... and thanks even more to those who donated to Cthulhu Reborn in the process! May Cthulhu haunt you forever! (in a good way)

Dean (from Adelaide)

BrianL

Several folks have asked (here and on other forums) about a Print On Demand option for Convicts & Cthulhu ... and who am I to say to no to such a cool suggestion. So, as of a few moments ago I have uploaded and activated the softcopy print version of the book. Like the PDF this is a "Pay-What-You-Want" book ... which means something slightly different for a print book. Because it obviously costs some nominal amount to produce a physical book there is a minimum amount you must enter into the "Pay-What-You-Want" box. That amount is effectively the cost-price of printing the book; in the case of the 96-page Convicts & Cthulhu (with B&W interior and colour covers) that's about US$4.00. You are more than welcome to just enter in the cost price and proceed to the checkout, where you will need to add postage as per a normal book. Alternatively you can enter an amount MORE than the cost-price, which means that that extra amount goes to Cthulhu Reborn.

This is great news, Dean - and all the plaudits you and Geoff have had for this book are very well deserved. I'm off to RPGnow as soon as I've typed this to secure myself a print copy. :)

Lammomedes

Thanks again to everyone who bought Convicts & Cthulhu ... and thanks even more to those who donated to Cthulhu Reborn in the process! May Cthulhu haunt you forever! (in a good way)

Dean (from Adelaide)

Thanks Dean! Already went ahead and bought two copies of the POD: one for the table, one for my collection.

You've made my day!

dce

I'd like to say thank you again to everyone who has grabbed themselves a copy of Convicts & Cthulhu. The suprising level of popularity for the PDF (and also now the softcover print edition) has left me madly scrabbling to try to see if there is any related material that I can release to make it easier for folks to run games in the C&C setting.

I have also been hounding Geoff Gillan (my partner in crime on this project and the true original "creator" of the setting) ... and rather suprisingly my pestering has already paid off. Geoff agreed to writing a short 4-page supplement based on additional notes left over from previous research. I have quickly put these together into a short freebie download, titled "Convicts & Cthulhu: Ticket-of-Leave #1". We're hoping to put out some further free small PDF supplements in a similar format ... hence the "#1" in the title.

The goal of these small bite-sized additions is to give Keepers small self-contained nuggets of information which include a variety of different elements which could conceivably be put together into a short scenario or alternatively picked apart to provide pieces for an all-original scenario of their own devising.

Convicts & Cthulhu: Tickets of Leave #1 just went live as a free PDF over on RPGNow and DrivethruRPG ... please grab it if you've enjoyed this rather unique setting.

And thanks again to everyone who has expressed their love for all things convict-y ... :-)

convicts-cthulhu-ticket-of-leave-1-cover

Dean (from Adelaide)

Lammomedes

Dean,

Thanks again. I just need to get my North American gamers interested in a mini-campaign set in a part of the world they know nothing about.

Should prove to be interesting if I succeed.

Prof Matt

dce

Dean,

Thanks again. I just need to get my North American gamers interested in a mini-campaign set in a part of the world they know nothing about.

Should prove to be interesting if I succeed.

Prof Matt

Hey Matt,

Thanks for grabbing the files ... I think that many people will be in the same position as you, needing to convince their players to take a bit of a leap to try a Lovecraftian scenario/campaign set in a place and time they know little about. To be honest that is possibly even true for some Aussie gamers to an extent.

One possible way to get people interested in the "exotic" setting of the 18th Century Australian penal colonies would be to convince your gamers to watch some film or TV episodes set in Australia (either then, or even now) and then extrapolate -- "what if, this story suddenly took a turn for the weird?" We have put some ideas in the back of the Convicts & Cthulhu book -- one easy-to-find dramatic reference point is the 2015 BBC historical drama TV series "Banished" (fan-made trailer here). There's nothing supernatural in that, but it has great production values and some solid acting (although unfortunately was not renewed for a Season 2). Another different type of TV show is the rather quirky sci-fi/horror show "Cleverman" (official US trailer) which is currently being screened here in Aus (on the ABC) but has also been picked up by the Sundance Channel in the US. That's a modern-day urban fantasy type of show loosely based on Aboriginal mythology and culture. It might not help in getting people across the whole convict-era thing but it might help people get enthused about exploring some of the weird supernatural elements that kind of go along with Australian indigenous culture and sorcery which is equally accessible in the C&C era.

While it will certainly take some energy from a Keeper to get a C&C game up and running, I hope that Keepers / players will ultimately find it a rewarding and evocative setting for (quirky) Lovecraftian gaming. That's the goal after all.

Dean (from Adelaide)

Lammomedes

Hey Matt,

Thanks for grabbing the files ... I think that many people will be in the same position as you, needing to convince their players to take a bit of a leap to try a Lovecraftian scenario/campaign set in a place and time they know little about. To be honest that is possibly even true for some Aussie gamers to an extent.

<snip for quote length>

While it will certainly take some energy from a Keeper to get a C&C game up and running, I hope that Keepers / players will ultimately find it a rewarding and evocative setting for (quirky) Lovecraftian gaming. That's the goal after all.

Dean (from Adelaide)

Dean,

Thanks for the links. I'll look for the one show you indicated that is on the Sundance channel. Don't get me wrong, I think my players are up for some quirky things, especially for a one-shot, but I think the setting is worthy of a bit more than a one-off, four-five hour "con" sort of game. I've run a short campaign in the past with a different group of players in 1902 Australia that worked out okay (it used the old Australia CoC sourcebook and some materials riffed from Gaslight) and was set in Sydney and environs, and I think I have some very old notes around to help with my Australian history refresher course.

If I get this up and going, I'll let you know how it works out.

Prof Matt

BrianL

My print copy of Convicts & Cthulhu arrived today, hot off the...print-on-demand press. 

post-7248-0-02854600-1467742948_thumb.jpg

It looks great in the flesh; even better than I'd hoped. If you're hesitating at all about picking up a print version, you shouldn't.

post-7248-0-77051500-1467742974_thumb.jpg

post-7248-0-85960500-1467743009_thumb.jpg

Lammomedes

My print copy of Convicts & Cthulhu arrived today, hot off the...print-on-demand press.

It looks great in the flesh; even better than I'd hoped. If you're hesitating at all about picking up a print version, you shouldn't.

I usually hate "me too" posts, but this warrants one.

Like Brian, I got my copies today. The package waiting at the door was a welcome reward after a 12 hour day at work. Both copies look well done and the print version is obviously well worth the money. Tomorrow, in my "copious spare time," I am going to put together some characters for a one-shot and get ready to spring this as a teaser for a potential longer campaign on my regular gaming group.

I'm not sure exactly what the adventure is going to be, but I am going to do something unique for a first go around.

Prof Matt

dce

Hey Matt & Brian,

Glad that you are happy with the quality of the printed books -- I was pretty satisfied with the proof copy that I had made earlier. Previously I've been a bit uncertain about using Lightning Source (the only POD provider which has a relationship with Drivethru / RPGNow), but clearly they have improved their quality standards in recent times.

I'd be most interested to hear what you get up to with Convicts & Cthulhu -- and if you invent anything cool and interesting let me know!

Dean (from Adelaide)

nclarke

I'm happy with the Lulu copy I made although my inexperience with POD meant slight hiccups with the cover (the number top right is partly cut off). 

christian

Convicts received here in France, great copy, perfect printing ( and a book design that is very very professional). Thanks Dean and Geoff, I look forward to delving in that era I know very little about. Any chance of new scenarios? ( he asked greedily)

dce

Hi Christian,

Glad to hear that you are happy with your print copy of "Convicts & Cthulhu" -- generally I have been getting lots of nice feedback from folks who have grabbed it in hardcopy.F

It's funny you should ask about follow-up scenarios ... because the answer to your question is "Yes". Cthulhu Reborn has already published one short supplementary PDF adventure (free download via RPGNow) and we are hoping to do more in the near future.

convicts-cthulhu-ticket-of-leave-1-cover

Also, our friends over at Just Crunch Games have decided to release a "Convicts & Cthulhu" themed version of their OSR-inspired game system "The Cthulhu Hack" (itself a variant of "The Black Hack"). Their version of Convicts also includes a fully-original scenario ... and you can grab it for free as well: it's a Pay-What-You-Want title at DrivethruRPG).

BTW: for folks who are wary about delving into a period or history they know little about ... everything in the C&C books assumes no prior knowledge of Australian history, colonial or otherwise.

Dean (from Adelaide)