neorxnawang

Help me shock and awe the players (Dark Ages)

neorxnawang

I am writing something that I cannot go into details about. Suffice it to say that it is set in Dark Ages England, and involves a corporeal monster largely but not completely beyond the players' ability to combat.

I am working on a "big shock" scene where just how inhuman this thing is stands revealed, as it massacres and abuses both some people who deserve it, and some who don't. It just doesn't care how far it goes or who it does what to, but wants to inspire terror in its wake.

Help me shock the players when they either witness the massacre or stumble onto its aftermath. I am looking for really awful and really memorable, which is why I am inviting outside input. I've written one massacre scene that they've stumbled on to, but want to go large with this one.

Adopted suggestions will receive a friendly nod at publication.

Roucheau

I'd just research historical massacres. Not much is more horrific than what man has done to each other already.

WinstonP

I think if you go subtle initially - describe a weird red film, and a scattering of small white stones. Let the players realize it's human flesh turned to paste mixed with fragments of bone and teeth. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of teeth...

Fallingtower

The 'entity' has pulverized every bone in every body.

Misshapen bags of broken, bloated and burst flesh lie all about.

Somehow, some survived the ordeal, broken they dragged themselves towards the door, dragging their burst organs along the way. The smell. They died with their eyes open.
Oh wait...there's one still alive....it tries to speak. 

The_Tatterdemalion_King

You don't actually need to show any gore or dead bodies or anything all all—just establish that the people who the monster takes out are the baddest of the badass in the local area, and have them disappear into the night.

Kblitz

Or be subtle, have every single person in a given structure be sitting still, eyes glazed and slumped. Dead without a single mark on their body. Take a filled church, or a Mead hall or whatever. Just rows of silent recently dead people. even the flies and spiders are dead. Cats, dogs, birds, rats... all utterly dead and still.