Tristan

Differences between the various editions of Dreamlands

Tristan

I have the 1st edition of Dreamlands, and The Complete Dreamlands (the 4th edition).

I've recently discovered the existence of a 5th edition.

So, a question for Dreamlands experts: what's in this 5th, that might be of interest if you already have the 1st and the 4th?

T.

yronimoswhateley

I've never seen the first four editions, but I do have a copy of the 5th Edition... I really have nothing really to compare it with.

If it helps, the YSDC Wiki has some information that might be helpful: 

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/wiki/index.php/H.P._Lovecraft's_Dreamlands

Based on the wiki...

The first through third editions don't seem to change much in page count (112, 136, and 124 pages for first, second, and third edition, respectively); presumably the second edition simply combines the booklets from the first edition boxed set?  (I'm not sure why the third edition has fewer pages....)

It sounds like the fourth edition really expanded on the original material a lot, but drops a couple of the scenarios from the first three editions; the fifth edition includes all the original scenarios, and also includes hand-outs, a (new?) introduction, and a nice fold-out map (which I believe was also available separately from the book for a little while - I used to have it framed on my wall, and I'm sure I couldn't bring myself to remove the fold-out from the book).

I do rather like the full-color artwork on the 5th Edition hardcovers and endpapers - I'm not sure how new the 5th Edition endpaper illustrations are, but the cover artwork seems to be a variation on the covers from 2nd and 4th editions.  The 2nd Edition seems to include some internal color plates, which do not appear in the 5th Edition (presumably some of these plates reappear in the 5th Edition as the endpaper and cover illustrations?)  The 5th Edition internal illustrations are in black-and-white, and most look like they were probably hold-overs from earlier editions (they seem to have a decidedly 1980s-RPG feel to them), and I suspect the illustrations haven't changed much through any editions; some new illustrations were apparently included between the 1st and 5th edition, as new illustrators are credited.  The fold-out map is a nice touch, and seems to be new to this edition (credited to Andy Hopp, whose name doesn't seem to be attached to earlier editions).

In any event, it sounds like if you have the first and fourth editions, the fifth won't add much that you don't already have, unless you like having it all in one nice hard-cover book

Tristan

Very helpful, thank you! And yes, it seems that I should pass on the 5th edition.

yronimoswhateley

You're quite welcome.

For what it's worth, the 5th Edition is a nice game book - if you stumble on one for a low price, you might consider picking it up to go along with the other two editions in your collection.  (And, currently, if you have no other edition, it sounds like the 5th Edition is the one to own... I wouldn't mind seeing a nice, modernized hardcover version of it for 7th Edition CoC, but the 5th is nice enough as-is.)

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now