PoC

Call of Cthulhu: The Official Video Game (Cyanide Studio)

PoC
On 03/05/2018 at 14:50, MOB said:

The new Call of Cthulhu video game website is now open!

To be fair, it's been open since at least March 2016. ;-) It does look great and with @MarkMorrison's name attached to it the story should be too.

Here's the E3 trailer from last June (without podcast voiceover):

The game will be available for PC, XONE and PS4.

I use a Mac , that will save me a bucket load of time. :-)

Rayven

o.O I'm only just hearing about this have I been living under a rock?! Kind of feels like I've been in some other dimensional space and suddenly have fallen into this frequency of reality to find this gem of awesomeness taunting me! Thank you for sharing.

MOB

To be fair, it's been open since at least March 2016. ;-)

Yes, the website address is the same - http://www.callofcthulhu-game.com - but Focus Home has relaunched the site, with a big addition of new content and information about the game (though our French partners are still being coy about the release date). 

It does look great and with @MarkMorrison's name attached to it the story should be too.

In addition to his Call of Cthulhu writing, Mark has long creative experience working in the video games industry. He had an instrumental role in creating the story for this game, which is a very classic 1920s Call of Cthulhu investigation and set in New England.

Focus Home/Cyanide Studio have built a game engine that closely replicates key mechanics, atmospherics and motifs of Call of Cthulhu the TTRPG.

KnygathinZhaum

Given that this game is on the very near horizon, how does @MOB, @MikeM & Chaosium et al. feel about this 'The Sinking City' game which sounds almost EXACTLY like the same freaking game?

http://frogwares.com/games/

PoC

Personally, I think it can be a bit like films (or buses) - nothing you want for ages, then several of a similar kind at once. From what I've seen of The Sinking City it looks to come with extra city/world building tools. It doesn't come with the Chaosium Call of Cthulhu official license stamp (as far as I'm aware) though I hope they're both good games. As for when each is actually out - that could be where they might differ greatly. Better "choice" than "none".

I understand the official Call of Cthulhu game won't be available on the Mac, I don't know about The Sinking City. I hope they both do well; they will have cost a lot to produce, regardless.

KnygathinZhaum

I'm not complaining of an abundance of stuff I like, rather wondering if Chaosium are just sitting there hearing how this game is almost a mirror of their game thinking "Oh for dratS sake!"

PoC

Somehow I doubt they're going to answer that besides possibly "More stuff is of course welcome for all Cthulhu fans to enjoy, but our licensed game looks great!"...

Also Chaosium are the Licensor, not the Developer, so they will want it to do well but if it doesn't it's ultimately not their financial problem.

MOB
On 13/06/2018 at 00:03, PoC said:

Somehow I doubt they're going to answer that besides possibly "More stuff is of course welcome for all Cthulhu fans to enjoy, but our licensed game looks great!"...

Also Chaosium are the Licensor, not the Developer, so they will want it to do well but if it doesn't it's ultimately not their financial problem.

From what we've seen of The Sinking City, it's a wonderful looking game but very different to Call of Cthulhu the Video Game in terms of gameplay and theme. Nevertheless, as the (very apt) aphorism goes, a rising tide lifts all boats...

BTW, a new trailer for Call of Cthulhu was released at E3 yesterday and has had more than 230K views in just over 24 hours:

PoC

Some footage from play: