Cole

RuneQuest Cthulhu

Cole

I'm running Horror on the Orient Express and one of the things we've decided to do is incorporate a lot of elements from RuneQuest.  Both CoC and RuneQuest being BRP systems, it's easier than other conversions that I've had to do.  

The skills are simplified a bit, and combat will be grittier.   For this group of players, they will enjoy the combat crunch and special combat effects RuneQuest offers when battling cultists. 

Any advice or comments are welcome.

Looking forward to it!

nclarke

Assuming it's TDM's RQ6 you are using make sure you get the free pdf supplement on Firearms .

Cole

Thanks for the advice.  I will look for it.  

nclarke

For RQ6 combat and the special effects it's worth getting the Special Effects calculator on a tablet /phone. It takes the die rolls as input and offers only the SE's that firt the die rolls making analysis paralysis choices easier for the players.

Cole

We didn't struggle when we played Mythic Britain, but I do have a couple of players new to RQ joining us.   So, this is more good advice.  I'm considering dumbing down special effects choices and just giving them a simple cheat sheet.  

nclarke

Obviously some SE's will not apply as they are restricted to certain weapon types so you can certainly cut down on the number of SE's that players have to check. If your player make quick decisions then it's probably not a problem. Only if the can't quickly choose one SE when they get the opportunity are they likely to need assistance to cut out the delay in playing.

Cole

Last night we began our campaign with a modified version of Bad Company where Arthur Sommers is the nephew of Prof. Julius Smith. I wanted this as a prequel adventure tie the party to Prof. Smith for the HotOE proper. It worked quite well. I also added in the Head Over Heels storyline from Cthulhu Britannica Folklore. It blended nicely with the theme of decay and hedonism and offered a more satisfying Macguffin.

Cthulhu plays wonderfully in its cousin RQ6 system. The violence was brutish and short thanks to locational HP and combat effects. The opposed tests were very satisfying. Luck points, which might not be very CoC purist saved one investigator life and helped with rerolls to allow players to snatch success from the jaws of failure. With practice (and the recommend app) things will get more efficient.

We told a great story well, had a lot of fun, and built excitement for future installments. The mechanics enhanced the narrative, and I look forward to trying our hand again later this month.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now