WinstonP

The YSDC Wiki - Editors wanted

Shimmin Beg

As the person responsible for creating a lot of the categories, I know what you mean - it's tough to remember them all!

Basically my philosophy is that if it might be useful to someone to be able to group scenarios by a common theme, or to find scenarios that include a particular feature, then why not sling it in?  Browsing through the entire categories list is admittedly going to take a while, but my instinct is that most people would either search for a keyword (Seance) or find once scenario featuring it and click through the Sceance Scenarios link to get a list.  As long as a keyword isn't so broad that it includes the vast majority of scenarios, or so vague that it's hard to know when to apply it, it's probably useful.

The other thing is there's a certain amount of future-proofing.  If there's only one scenario featuring... I dunno, skateboarding? as a big feature, it looks like there's no need for a category.  But if someone brings out more skater scenarios in future, even if they add a Skateboarding category, you'll tend to end up with older scenarios not being included.  The more completely we categorise things on the first pass, the less likely that they'll end up missing from categories in future.  People tend to be much keener to do new pages than to methodically check through old pages to see if they can be improved - and of course, the people prepared to check might not have access to the scenarios.

Of course, I have no more right to dictate how this all works than anyone else, so that model should shift to reflect the consensus on what's useful.  I definitely don't want to stake out any claims here.

I do regret not being able to come up with better names sometimes - I think "Deformed Humans" is distinctly suboptimal, although I still haven't ever come up with a better option that's not too specific.  Some of the keywords could probably use refining as well.

It makes me very happy to see how the wiki's blooming at the moment, and making all that information available to everyone.  Yay, community.

leonardolad

Just a quick update: I've finished Sacraments of Evil and will move forward in my to-do list with the Delta Green Sourcebook and Mysteries of Mesoamerica.

Cheers!

bastthecatgoddess

Hi, i would like to add to the wiki, as it has been helpful to me in the past. Can you add me to it?

WinstonP

Hi, i would like to add to the wiki, as it has been helpful to me in the past. Can you add me to it?

If you could, send Paul (PoC) a private message requesting to be added as a mod, please.

PoC

Necessary information required is provided in the first post of this topic.

Graham

Added two more magazine scenarios "Tea and Biscuits" and "Valley of the Twisted Apes". I have had to create a new category for that one, would like comments on it.

Shimmin Beg

I had to go and check those out, not least because of Tea and Biscuits.

The only new category I spotted was Java?  That seems uncontroversial to me.

Shimmin Beg

I finally did another Wiki entry (http://www.yog-sothoth.com/wiki/index.php/Grave_Secrets)

!  I have also created two new categories.  These are Gothic scenarios and Skeleton in the Closet scenarios.  I thought the first would be useful, particularly for scenarios that are more supernatural than Mythos, but more generally because a Gothic-themed campaign seems like something people might want to run.  Of course someone might also just want the odd Gothic-feeling scenario as a one-off.

The second category's intended to cover scenarios that centre around a big secret, and specifically where that secret is basically the root cause of it all.  To be clear, that's where there's a secret that causes all the trouble, as opposed to where the cause of it all is a secret - if you see what I mean!

Any thoughts?

leonardolad

They can be quite useful, in my opinion.

Just a quick comment about Skeleton in the Closet: If we're talking about scenarios where the secret is the main aspect of the investigation, wouldn't it be more like a hook than a simple keyword?

yronimoswhateley

Seems a bit more like a plot twist than a hook, at least the way a Skeleton in the Closet is usually used in Gothic fiction... not sure if that's any more or less of a keyword than a plot hook would have been.

For example, discovering that the unnamed child mentioned as dying at birth in the family Bible might be revealed by the drunken family doctor or its insane mother in the madhouse to be still alive, and living as a deformed maniac in the attic!  The revelation typically comes later in the story than a plot hook would, and puts a whole new spin on the evidence that has been suggesting a haunting....

The new categories do seem like they'll be useful - I'll refresh my memory on the scenarios I've categorized, and see how many of them fit these categories.

Shimmin Beg

Seems a bit more like a plot twist than a hook, at least the way a Skeleton in the Closet is usually used in Gothic fiction... not sure if that's any more or less of a keyword than a plot hook would have been.

For example, discovering that the unnamed child mentioned as dying at birth in the family Bible might be revealed by the drunken family doctor or its insane mother in the madhouse to be still alive, and living as a deformed maniac in the attic!  The revelation typically comes later in the story than a plot hook would, and puts a whole new spin on the evidence that has been suggesting a haunting....

Basically this.  The secret is something you'll tend to discover well into the scenario, perhaps even at the climax.  I'm trying to reserve hooks specifically for things that draw the Investigators into the mystery / force them into contact with something bizarre (delete as applicable).  Nice example Yronimos!

Similarly, Arthur Jermyn has a classic Skeleton in the Closet.  Our narrator in Shadow over Innsmouth has one too, but the hook of that story is more like "Stranded at night in a town full of hostile locals" (at least, as a Keeper, I'd view the first couple of sections as exposition to set things up, and the wandering as a brief prologue where they can pick up a few hints. He isn't going to Innsmouth to investigate anything, he just gets suddenly caught up in weirdness once he's there).

leonardolad

Yeah, I see what you mean, and you're probably right. From the investigator's point of view, a Skeleton in the Closet wouldn't be a hook at all. I was thinking more like a Keeper, that would already know the secret that will be revealed later on the narrative.

yronimoswhateley

Thank you, Shimmin Beg :)  I've always had a soft spot for Gothic and especially American/Southern Gothic horror, and the "Skeleton in the Closet" has always been a standard trope for that subgenre, and one of my favorites.

I see what you mean, Leonardolad:  it would certainly be a selling point to hook me into a scenario as a Keeper.  I'm not sure there's even an English word or phrase for a plot device or trope that sells a story to a Keeper or other presenter... perhaps there should be.  ("Elevator Pitch" comes close, but isn't quite right....)

Shimmin Beg

Now working my way slowly through Blood Brothers.  I just realised the Synopsis section is now automatically spoilered, which is a great idea. 

I know there's a lot of red text still on there, but we've made tons of progress on this in the last year or so!

PoC

The Wiki has become a brilliant resource and this is all down to the contributors and editors. A true community collaboration that bears tremendous fruit.

Thank you to everyone involved!

Graham

I've just added details for two issues of TSR's Dragon Magazine that Keepers might be interested in, 138 which includes the only Mythos Tome created by TSR and issue 198 which contains Sandy Petersen's contribution to The Dragon Project.

Innsbruck

The Wiki has become a brilliant resource and this is all down to the contributors and editors. A true community collaboration that bears tremendous fruit.

Thank you to everyone involved!

Why thank you, Mr. of Cthulhu! It's nice to be recognized.

I probably should have said something back when I did it, but I added some boardgames and computer games to the wiki (some months ago, now.) The original "to do" list had about five boardgames on it, but I added a few more.

leonardolad

In the last few months I finished the Delta Green Core Sourcebook, and now am working my way, slowly but steadily, through Mysteries of Mesoamerica.

Let's keep the Wiki love flowing!

Danial

I'm always adding Chaosium scenarios when I get the chance. My latest contributions were Tales of the Miskatonic Valley, Last Rites, Secrets, and Doors to Darkness.

Graham

I've finally added the last of the three issues of Adventurer Unlimited I have managed to find. I plan to get around to writing up the scenarios from them over the next few days.

Graham

I've filled in a few of the red links on the magazine published scenarios section (Mostly details of the magazines.). Might try to tackle the scenarios 'A Nice Night for Screaming'/'Honeymoon In Hell'. I will advise that it is best to keep them separate, because the overhaul is quite drastic compared with the differences between the book published and magazine published versions of Convergence

---

I have now added details for all the issues of White Dwarf that had scenarios in them that I had. This included issue 87 which contained material that was used in the scenario in issue 88. What I do not have is a copy of Issue 99, the final issue of White Dwarf that featured Call of Cthulhu material. I am now working on getting the details for the remaining issues of Challenge magazine written up. I will then turn to filling in some of the scenario redlinks.

---

This is an update. All issues of Challenge Magazine now have articles. Each article has in it a link to purchaseable copies on RPG Now, as do all the White Wolf issue writeups. Now with the redlinks on the Magazine published scenarios listing much reduced I can start the process of writing up the scenarios in them.

Danial

I think the Synopsis spoiler boxes are a great addition, but I can't seem to get them to reveal on the mobile site. Is anyone else having this problem?

Graham

I have started linking reviews of specific magazine issues to the Wiki. RpgGeek seems to be a good source, though not a complete one and I have located and bookmarked a complete set of White Dwarf (1-100) reviews. I am looking for other blogs/websites that have done this, specifically issue reviews for Adventurer, Adventures Unlimited and Challenge are wanted, the more the better.

yronimoswhateley

Danial, wish I could help with the spoiler boxes, but I don't own anything that uses the mobile site (I'm a bit stuck in the last century, I fear!)  On a PC, I can just highlight the spoiler boxes, and CTRL+A to select all text seems to work on a PC as well... not sure if there's anything equivalent to use on a phone or tablet.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now