WinstonP

The YSDC Wiki - Editors wanted

Graham

I was checking the "forthcoming" page recently and noticed that the Super Genius Games site is dead. I assume the company is gone as well?

Also would it make sense to split the forthcoming and cancelled page into two separate pages, one for each category?

Looks like they've changed their name to Rogue Genius Games.

https://www.roguegeniusgames.com/

I've added another scenario writeup, and three more magazines including the last issue of White Wolf to feature CoC material to the Wiki

Graham

I've ordered three more magazines from Noble Knight Games, this will be the last order as I suspect that I'm hitting the bottom of that particular well.

CaseUndefined

Hi there,

I'd like to say 'thank you' to all the wiki editors of the YSDC CthulhuWiki - it is a great source of information!

Having said that I'd also like to share the information that since August this year there is a spin-off in german language, which - I know - most of you might not find that interesting. ;-)

Nevertheless, I'm trying to cross-link many articles to the YSDC wiki and we are trying to catch up.

https://www.cthulhu-wiki.de/

Have a Happy new Year!

Graham

I've completed a preliminary writeup of the version of the scenario Convergence as published in the Delta Green rulebook. I'm guessing that there are differences between the magazine version and the book version. But without a copy of the relevant magazine, I cannot obviously tell what they are. If there is anyone out there who has Issue 7 of The Unspeakable Oath, feel free to outline what those changes are.

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!

dce

I've completed a preliminary writeup of the version of the scenario Convergence as published in the Delta Green rulebook. I'm guessing that there are differences between the magazine version and the book version. But without a copy of the relevant magazine, I cannot obviously tell what they are. If there is anyone out there who has Issue 7 of The Unspeakable Oath, feel free to outline what those changes are.

Challenge accepted (and completed). I have both copies of the scenario and have just gone through to identify the differences between them -- info is on the Wiki.

In summary, while there are quite a number of few minor differences (names that have changed, agencies that have been substituted for one another) there isn't much that structurally changes the scenario. The original magazine version did include a couple of extra opportunities for Mythos combat encounters, and was a bit more deadly overall, but apart from that ... both would play out in a very similar way. The scenario is an absolute classic and is a testament to the genius of John Tynes -- such a shame that he moved on from writing Lovecraftian stuff -- I could read his stuff until the cows came home (from being biologically altered by alien monstrosities).

Dean [ from Adelaide ]

Graham

Challenge accepted (and completed). I have both copies of the scenario and have just gone through to identify the differences between them -- info is on the Wiki.

Dean [ from Adelaide ]

Thanks for that, one of the magazines I'm waiting for will hold that 'lost' follow up scenario, rather sad that it could not be republished...

leonardolad

I just finished the scenarios in Secrets of Morocco and will slowly move to the Cthulhu by Gaslight scenarios. As usual, if anyone feels like editing them, just say the word.

Cheers!

Graham

Just added White Wolf issue 12 to the magazine list. That completes the listing of the issues that held Call of Cthulhu material. Thankfully most of them are available now in PDF format, if anyone trys out the scenarios can they please post reports/suggestions on how to run to the forum.

Later: I've added a quick writeup of 'The Knocking Box' scenario to the Wiki which means that there is now a possible alternative for "The Iron Ghost" out there if anyone is looking for a scenario set on a train.

Graham

The three magazines I ordered from Noble Knight Games arrived today. I now have a question, did anyone on the forum purchase the detailed handout collection offered for Crude Oil Part One?

WinstonP

On a lark, I've added HPL quotes, when I can find appropriate ones, to all of the category pages for US states.  Feel free to replace these with better ones, either from HPL or other Mythos authors.

Innsbruck

You are all doing such wonderful work adding and updating information on the wiki, I thought maybe I could contribute by adding some wiki pages for various Cthulhu-themed board and card games.

I'll start by PMing Mr. of Cthulhu to get the appropriate permissions and reading through the do's and don't sections to try to minimize my mistakes, and creating a style sheet since there doesn't seem to be one.

Please let me know if I'm stepping on anyone's toes.

yronimoswhateley

On a lark, I've added HPL quotes, when I can find appropriate ones, to all of the category pages for US states.  Feel free to replace these with better ones, either from HPL or other Mythos authors.

I saw that, and I think it's a fantastic idea!  I added one for Kentucky (from "The Beast in the Cave", set in Kentucky's Mammoth Cave).

I think Innsbruck's idea about some pages on card and board games is a fantastic idea!  As far as I know, nobody else is doing that - I'll be surprised if there are any toes to step on there.

I'm currently trying to psyche myself up to tackle some usual-suspect entries on "Lovecraftian" movies, with an eye toward film classics and some newer films that might make good inspiration for CoC scenarios (in fact, I'm pretty sure the standard scenario template can be easily adapted for short descriptions and synopses of films, due to the similarity between the forms of entertainment; souping up a working template will be one of the first things I try working on, along with finishing a basic "how 'Lovecraftian' is it" rating system.) 

Please let me know if I'm stepping on any toes here - I haven't heard about anyone else working on film entries, but I'm prepared to be surprised!

On hold for a little while is a "cult development tool kit" for cooking up your own cults and cultists for weird fiction and RPG scenarios - I've got a rough draft in text-file form offline, but decided to step back to see what not to include and what best to focus on now that I've got something to start with.

Danial

I really wish I had the time to contribute again. I've still yet to complete Atomic-Age Cthulhu, Goatswood, No Man's Land, and Spawn of Azathoth, that were on my to-do list. Sadly, I haven't had a chance since September do to circumstances.

Innsbruck

Hey, I've discovered a neat new wiki trick, and I thought I'd share.

This is for use with tables, like the very big, very impressive table on the CoC Supplements page here: http://www.yog-sothoth.com/wiki/index.php/CoC:Supplements

Okay, you know how you can click on a column header to sort that column alphabetically? And, if you're a language nut like me, it drives you crazy when titles like "The Golden Dawn" get alphabetized under "T", because it should be under "G" darn it. Here's how to make it work.

Right now, the line item for "The Golden Dawn" looks like this (it alphabetizes under "T"):

|-
| 1996 || [[The Golden Dawn (Supplement)|The Golden Dawn]]             || [[Pagan Publishing]] || 1004 || G  ||
|-

But if you add the phrase data-sort-vaule="Alphabetical Sort"| , where "Alphabetical Sort" is how you want it alphabetized, to the beginning of the column you want to correct, then it works! Don't forget the pipe (vertical line) at the end.

A corrected version of the line item for "The Golden Dawn" would look like this (it alphabetizes under "G"):

|-
| 1996 ||data-sort-value="Golden Dawn"|[[The Golden Dawn (Supplement)|The Golden Dawn]]             || [[Pagan Publishing]] || 1004 || G  ||
|-

And that's all there is to it!

Danial

Hey, I've discovered a neat new wiki trick, and I thought I'd share.

Nice. I went through and did a similar thing to some of the Category links beginning with "The" a while back.

Innsbruck

Nice. I went through and did a similar thing to some of the Category links beginning with "The" a while back.

And I've been using it! Not only did you post very useful information in its own right, but it inspired me to go looking for a similar solution for lists.

Danial

And I've been using it! Not only did you post very useful information in its own right, but it inspired me to go looking for a similar solution for lists.

I just started doing it for Scenarios and barely got to 1987. There are just sooooooooooo many that start with THE. I might tackle Supplements next time. There's only 39 of them :)

Innsbruck

I just started doing it for Scenarios and barely got to 1987. There are just sooooooooooo many that start with THE. I might tackle Supplements next time. There's only 39 of them :)

Yeah, I know what that's like, when I started working on board games, it was a list of six "to do" items on the board games category page. I'm still working on them - it turns out that there are more than six.

leonardolad

Hey, I was thinking about creating at least basic entries for some creatures and deities and a question surfaced: Is it OK to put the description contained in Malleus Monstrorum in the wiki as is? or is it a copyright violation in any way?

Danial

Hey, I was thinking about creating at least basic entries for some creatures and deities and a question surfaced: Is it OK to put the description contained in Malleus Monstrorum in the wiki as is? or is it a copyright violation in any way?

I'd had the same idea a while back, but I'm pretty sure copying text blocks verbatim would be a copyright violation.

leonardolad

I'd had the same idea a while back, but I'm pretty sure copying text blocks verbatim would be a copyright violation.

Yeah, I was thinking about picking the quotes and descriptive paragraphs, more than rules and statistics but we probably fall in the same case. Thanks!

Danial

It would be nice if every creature from the Malleus Monstrorum had its own page though. I added a few not long ago and just copied the text from Wikipedia, but o doubt the more obscure ones would even have articles there.

leonardolad

Exactly. I was thinking about entries for The God of the Red Flux and Juk-Shabb, so... it's not like there's a cornucopia of information out there.

Shimmin Beg

Yeah, I was thinking about picking the quotes and descriptive paragraphs, more than rules and statistics but we probably fall in the same case. Thanks!

Despite being an ex-librarian I honestly don't know - also they're American and stuff works differently.  Plus we don't want to tick them off even if it's legal.  But you know, we could probably just ask someone.  "Hey, Chaosium, is it cool if we do this?"

leonardolad

Despite being an ex-librarian I honestly don't know - also they're American and stuff works differently.  Plus we don't want to tick them off even if it's legal.  But you know, we could probably just ask someone.  "Hey, Chaosium, is it cool if we do this?"

Actually this is a pretty good idea, since we have some of them roaming here in YSDC quite often.