WinstonP

The YSDC Wiki - Editors wanted

AdamAlexander

I agree that it is hard to know where to start. Is there some way to organize an approach to this so we're not duplicating efforts or working at cross purposes?

Hazi

I could also contribute, I have in my library a bunch of older and rarer books, which I would gladly wikify as required. I'll pop Paul a message.

I agree that it is hard to know where to start. Is there some way to organize an approach to this so we're not duplicating efforts or working at cross purposes?

Maybe a private/non-public wiki page with a listing of scenarios, where all editors could mark down the scenarios they plan to work on?

yronimoswhateley

If you're new to Wiki editing, and even if you're an experienced Wiki editor, these pages are an excellent reference:

For Scenario page editing:

• List of scenarios
    • not necessarily a complete list of every scenario ever made, but it's a good start
    • red links indicate scenario pages that don't exist yet, and should probably be added
    • blue links indicate scenario pages that do exist; most are probably fine as-is, but a few are incomplete or inaccurate and could use some help
  • Scenario page template and style guide
    • scroll to bottom of page to find the template and style guide
    • the template takes a lot of the guesswork out of writing a page from scratch!
  • List of Scenario Categories
    • click any category link to view its sub-categories
    • A category link would be added to the bottom of the page, and the category name should be placed in double-brackets after the word Category and a "colon" punctuation symbol, to look something like:
    • [[Category:CoC:Pulp scenarios]]

Hopefully that will help collect some useful references in one place.  Feel free to ask any specific questions you have here :)

I could also contribute, I have in my library a bunch of older and rarer books, which I would gladly wikify as required. I'll pop Paul a message.

Maybe a private/non-public wiki page with a listing of scenarios, where all editors could mark down the scenarios they plan to work on?

I think this sounds like a fair idea, and would beat having claims staked randomly through this thread.  I don't know about how to make a private/non-public wiki page or if it's possible, but I think that even a public page would help a lot.

Danial

I don't think there's any need to "stake a claim". I have a list of the pages I want to do on my user page, but if someone gets to any before me, I'll just take them off. I've already had to do it for Dreamlands and Mansions of Madness, and I'm fine with that.

As for where to start, I've been creating scenario pages with all the details except for "summary" and "synopsis" just so the page exists, and then when I get the chance, I go back in and complete them. I figure a page was more important than having a complete page. In just 2 nights I've completed Before the Fall and Escape from Innsmouth. I'll probably go back in and finish off their synopses tonight before tackling a new supplement.

yronimoswhateley

I added "summary", "synopsis", and a few details to "Lemon Sails", and I've similarly been beefing up the "Halloween Horror 2" scenarios - these all had existing pages, but generally had little or no information.  I'd written Keeper Notes for "Halloween Horror 2" a couple weeks ago, so those have been pretty easy to complete.

Unless someone else would rather work any of the Halloween monographs, I figured I'd just keep filling those out, with perhaps an occasional diversion from the scenarios in the Dreamlands hardback.

So far, I think it's probably pretty easy to figure out who is working on what, and there doesn't seem to be too many things that more than one person wants to work on.  Things might get complicated later on if more people participate, but I'm in no hurry to make a checklist or anything like that for now.

Danial

One thing editors should watch out for are existing duplicates, one that I stumbled across (& I've let Paul know about.) is this

Pursuit to Kadath (scenario)

Pursuit to Kadath (Scenario)

Funny that they're not even the same. Even the page-counts aren't equal.

yronimoswhateley

Oh, good luck on that one, Graham!  Looks like two different people entered it two different times in two different ways; they seem to be the same, but as Danial points out, the page-counts are different (52 vs. 56 pages - I'm guessing one reviewer counted the cover pages and the other didn't?)

I've finished filling out the existing "Halloween Horrors 2" scenario pages, and in the process, I've discovered that one of the scenarios had a few pages of content edited out of it!  I've obtained a copy of the missing content, and I've contacted the scenario's author to see if it's OK to include details from it and links to it in the Wiki (I take it that there's possibly some delicate copyright thing involved, and want to be sure that including it won't step on anyone's toes).

Taking Danial's suggestion from page 1, for now I'll be keeping track of my "to do" list (and updates on what I'm doing and have already done) in my Wiki profile page here:  (Ywhateley)

yockenthwaite

I've just added a starter page for Alan Moore's current Providence comic series, and will fill it out over the coming months with more details of each issue, including which Lovecraft stories they are inspired by.

To add that I had to add a new Comics sub-category of Media. Hope that is ok :)

It would be good to add more Lovecraft-inspired comics into that new section.

dce
For Scenario page editing:

• List of scenarios
    • not necessarily a complete list of every scenario ever made, but it's a good start
    • red links indicate scenario pages that don't exist yet, and should probably be added
    • blue links indicate scenario pages that do exist; most are probably fine as-is, but a few are incomplete or inaccurate and could use some help

Just sticking my head into this (excellent) thread to chime in one piece of into ... the list of scenarios that yronimoswhateley has linked to above is *supposed* to be a complete list of all English-language CoC scenarios that have ever been professionally published. It's been compiled through a fairly painstaking scan over all books published by Chaosium and its licensees and all gaming mags which are known to have ever published material for the game.

Having said that ... it is certainly possible that things are missing. Also, the list does not even attempt to cover semi-professionally or privately published scenarios (of which there have been several).

It will certainly be great to get some of the pages for these scenarios created ... if I had some more free time I would definitely be rolling up my sleeves to help out!

Dean (from Adelaide)

leonardolad

Hey guys,

I just finished the first item in my to-do list. Since this is my first "work" as a wiki editor, and also I'm not an english native-speaker, I'll let the link here for your appreciation. If you think I'm in the right path, I'll just keep going, but suggestions will be appreciated as well  :)

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/wiki/index.php/The_Half_Moon

Danial

Hey guys,

I just finished the first item in my to-do list. Since this is my first "work" as a wiki editor, and also I'm not an english native-speaker, I'll let the link here for your appreciation. If you think I'm in the right path, I'll just keep going, but suggestions will be appreciated as well  :)

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/wiki/index.php/The_Half_Moon

Looks good to me. Keep it up.

Shimmin Beg

That looks good to me, clear synopses and a good set of categories. 

From what I remember (I heard a partial playthrough), I think we can probably add
CoC:Deformed human scenarios
CoC:Scientific scenarios
CoC:Transformation scenarios
and appropriate Place and Venue categories.  Does that sound about right?  I'll leave it to somebody who owns the scenario to check.

We could perhaps also link that playthrough (https://archive.org/details/01LaraquasMasksOfNyarlathotep)?  I can't immediately find a substantial review, but there may well be one.

(I just happen to already know some stuff about this particular scenario and know about this Actual Play and be the bloke who created the categories in the first place and is aware of what exists, so please don't feel discouraged that I have some more to suggest!  It's a very creditable start)

leonardolad

Looks good to me. Keep it up.

That looks good to me, clear synopses and a good set of categories. 

Cool! I'll keep it up then.

From what I remember (I heard a partial playthrough), I think we can probably add

CoC:Deformed human scenarios

CoC:Scientific scenarios

CoC:Transformation scenarios

and appropriate Place and Venue categories.  Does that sound about right?  I'll leave it to somebody who owns the scenario to check.

We could perhaps also link that playthrough (https://archive.org/details/01LaraquasMasksOfNyarlathotep)?  I can't immediately find a substantial review, but there may well be one.

(I just happen to already know some stuff about this particular scenario and know about this Actual Play and be the bloke who created the categories in the first place and is aware of what exists, so please don't feel discouraged that I have some more to suggest!  It's a very creditable start)

Deformed humans! I was looking for mutant-related categories and couldn't find any! I'll add your suggestions on the categories and also the playthrough.

And don't worry about the suggestions. That's why I posted it here! The way I see it, it's a group effort.

Danial

If anyone has time to take a quick look and offer suggestions, I'm all ears.

All looks good to me. As an aside, when I first heard of Mansions of Madness, I confused it with the 1987 video game, Maniac Mansion, so was expecting some kind of connection haha

Meyer

Thanks, Danial...

Ironically, I meant to start on this sooner, but got side-tracked painting the miniatures from Fantasy Flight's "Mansions of Madness" board games.

That Dunwich Horror sure is creepy....

leonardolad

If anyone has time to take a quick look and offer suggestions, I'm all ears.

Looks good! I liked the idea of putting some of the Keepers Information in the Keeper comments.

Maybe add some categories on it would be good.

Danial

I had a mega editing session yesterday (added every missing tome from the rulebook) and just wanted to share a tip I discovered along the way:

When adding Category links, if the title of the page starts with "The", such as "The Fog of War", you should add {{DEFAULTSORT:Name of Page}} just above them so that in the Category lists it will be sorted under the correct letter rather than under "T" where it would have otherwise been. e.g.:

{{DEFAULTSORT:Fog of War}}
[[Category:CoC:Scenarios]]
[[Category:CoC:1910s scenariosâ€â€Ž]]
[[Category:CoC:Ghoul scenariosâ€â€Ž]]
[[Category:CoC:Investigators are military]]
[[Category:CoC:Scenarios set in Franceâ€â€Ž]]
[[Category:CoC:War scenariosâ€â€Ž]]
[[Category:CoC:World War I scenariosâ€â€Ž]]

yronimoswhateley

Great Scott!  You've really been busy, Danial.  Great catch!  :-)

Shimmin Beg

I had a mega editing session yesterday (added every missing tome from the rulebook) and just wanted to share a tip I discovered along the way:

...snip...

I should probably have mentioned that, sorry!

Great job on the tomes - clearing red links makes things much nicer, and of course it's easier to be sure you're putting in links to the right things if they turn blue!

leonardolad

Really nice job with the tomes. I just made the links to them in the Cthulhuian Pseudobiblia part in the Cthulhu Mythos page.

Danial

Thanks, guys. Now that I know the pages are there, I've also been fixing any bad links I come across. For instance, I saw a red link to "De Vermis Mysteriis" and realized it was because it was spelled, "De Vermiis Mysteriis", so did a quick fix. One had me stumped as to why it was red for ages though, and after re-reading the title a dozen times, it turned out that it used a ’ instead of a '.

I've also added quite a few redirect pages because the links (and search) are ridiculously case-sensitive

Meyer

Thanks to yronimouswhateley, Danial, and the rest for all the suggestions and resources.  I'm finishing up the Mansions of Madness scenarios and will next move on to Return to Dunwich (unless someone else would prefer to work on that one).

I did a bit of clean-up too - searched the wiki and changed the various spellings and capitalization problems for Formless Spawn to ensure it is its own single, consistent entry.  It's a "red" un-created page which I'll create shortly.  The inconsistencies I noticed was that pages had "red" links for "Formless Spawn", "Formless spawn", "Formless Spawn of Tsathoggua", "Tsathoggua's Formless Spawn", "Cthulhu's Formless Spawn", etc.

Cool work on the Tomes, Danial.  Should I assume that any Tome mentioned in an official scenario should be created as an individual entry?  In Mansions of Madness, there are some that are better known, but others that are specifically tied to that scenario.  My impulse is...if it has Mythos stats or Spells, it should be added to the wiki (after all, who knows where these books and journals will end up after the scenario ends?).

Danial

I did a bit of clean-up too - searched the wiki and changed the various spellings and capitalization problems for Formless Spawn to ensure it is its own single, consistent entry.  It's a "red" un-created page which I'll create shortly.  The inconsistencies I noticed was that pages had "red" links for "Formless Spawn", "Formless spawn", "Formless Spawn of Tsathoggua", "Tsathoggua's Formless Spawn", "Cthulhu's Formless Spawn", etc.

Unfortunately, naming conventions will always be the bane in a Wiki such as this. Even the books themselves have different names for the same thing. For instance, in the Keeper's Companion, there's a tome called "Azathoth and Other Horrors" (which is the name Lovecraft himself used). However, in the 7e rulebook, this same tome is called "Azathoth and Others". I'm no Wiki expert, but my personal approach is to create redirect pages, because even though you can correct the existing pages, the next person who comes along might use a different name than the "standard one" for a new link, so having redirects is kind of like a "catch-all".

Cool work on the Tomes, Danial.  Should I assume that any Tome mentioned in an official scenario should be created as an individual entry?  In Mansions of Madness, there are some that are better known, but others that are specifically tied to that scenario.  My impulse is...if it has Mythos stats or Spells, it should be added to the wiki (after all, who knows where these books and journals will end up after the scenario ends?).

If there's a write-up on it, sure, add it in. I added "The Book of Dagon" from Escape from Innmouth because it had a small description, but if a tome is simply mentioned by name, there's no real point because there would be nothing on the page :)

As a side-note, I left out all the RPG elements from the tomes I added (things such as sanity cost and time to read). I don't know if this is "the done thing", but I just felt that the pages should be more about the item themselves than the "game system".