gloriousbattle

Pulp Cthulhu rules availability?

PoC

Failing a Pushed Roll = Death.

That will spice things up a bit and make the players think very hard about doing so.

There's a million ways to kill a character even from the most innocent-looking of actions.

Obviously I jest! ;-)

numtini

I see very few pushed rolls because of the requirement to narrate how you're getting a second chance. It's tough, particularly when you're doing it off the cuff.

Edit: 

Failing a Pushed Roll = Death.

Actually the last time I remember someone pushing a roll, it was a climb roll, and they fell to their deaths.

ScottDorward

Actually the last time I remember someone pushing a roll, it was a climb roll, and they fell to their deaths.

Blimey! That's not quite how they're supposed to work.

I suppose I can see some circumstances under which I'd make a Push into a life-or-death stake, but that would only be for the climactic scene of a game.

Gaffer

I am attempting to convert Pulp Cthulhu to 6th edition. I think it's going to work.

DAR

I suppose I can see some circumstances under which I'd make a Push into a life-or-death stake, but that would only be for the climactic scene of a game.

I think the issue is that my players only push a roll when they blow a roll that they "should have made" due to an already high chance of success. If the odds are against you, that might be the time to not push - unless it's a life or death matter already...

This models real life pretty well I expect. LOL!

The narrative requirement wasn't horribly onerous, I just reminded that players, and I'm relatively generous (I suppose) in accepting what they came up with. If it sounded reasonable I ran with it, and I really like Sandy Peterson's idea that a failed push is automatically a San-blasting effect in some way. I'm running it way when we pick up CoC again.

D. 

numtini

They really did work hard for it. Climbing on the outside of a window 3 floors up while sporting a major wound.

cjbowser

I really should pick up a copy of this, if only to see how much has changed from the 2007 William Jones 6e draft that I have...

PoC

That would be interesting to hear. We touched on "what went before" in the Dragonmeet interview.

Lisa

I really should pick up a copy of this, if only to see how much has changed from the 2007 William Jones 6e draft that I have...

I'm really curious about that draft, of course. I now have Pulp Cthulhu and Doors to Darkness.

HomoLupusDomesticus

Not sure what stops you stating no Pushing rolls in your game if you don't like them.

It's often difficult to get players to narrate how things could be 'pushed' and sometimes tricky to ensure an appropriate 'penalty' if the 'pushed' roll also fails but that's hardly the fault of the revised rules.

There was another thread in which someone pointed out a problem with opposed actions and MikeM argued that the opportunity to Push a roll negated that problem somewhat... I forget the details. Let me see if I can find a link... ah, here it is:

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/topic/30250-opposing-npc-characteristic-question/

This would seem to imply that you cannot simply remove Pushed rolls from the game.

nclarke

That thread suggested a variety of ways around the 'add 1% and it makes the task twice as hard' mechanic. No reason why you can't use a similar thing to change the chances of succeeding. Take a look at he options in Pulp Cthulhu for spending luck if you want to see some alternative mechanics to change up the rules.

Gaffer

Personally, I wouldn't see the 'Ring the Bell' contest as being in any way an opposed skill check, since both contestants can 'win' by ringing the bell. I also cannot come up with the narrative element to Push such a roll other than "This time I hit it really, really hard!"

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now