gloriousbattle

Pulp Cthulhu rules availability?

gloriousbattle

I understand there are some pulp rules out there. It strikes me that these might help with my Foreign Legion campaign. Have they been published? Are they likely to be a victim of the Chaosium take-over? Is there maybe an article in some venerable publication that might help?

Again, thanks.

paladin2769

Those official Pulp Cthulhu rules are being worked on even as we speak by Chaosium as per Mike Mason in another thread here.  :)  They were initially a stretch goal for the 7e Kickstarter which has been (ahem) a work in progress.   ;)

Once upon a time, William Jones (the original author) ran demos at conventions and mentioned that something from Pulp Cthulhu mechanics was in his Secrets of Morocco book from Chaosium.  And back when Pulp Cthulhu was still a gleam in Azathoth's eye, there was a one-page ad for the book in an issue of Game Trade Magazine.  It is a publication that lists previews of forthcoming merchandise in the industry.  The PC ad had game stats for an npc type called a "Reanimator". 

We are all on the edge of our collected, proverbial seats waiting for Pulp Cthulhu to finally see the light of day.  As per a brand new announcement from Chaosium's new boss, PC is still going to come out along with lots of other cool Call of Cthulhu stuff. 

Have you looked at Amazing Adventures from Chaosium?  It is written for the BRP system but it may have some interesting rules you might like.  For example, dealing with npc grunts or mooks who harass the player characters from time to time in combat.  It also has different character occupations like adventurer and I am pretty sure it must have soldier or mercenary in it.  I recommend it (for what my opinion is worth). 

Travern

Have you looked at Amazing Adventures from Chaosium?  It is written for the BRP system but it may have some interesting rules you might like.  For example, dealing with npc grunts or mooks who harass the player characters from time to time in combat.  It also has different character occupations like adventurer and I am pretty sure it must have soldier or mercenary in it.  I recommend it (for what my opinion is worth). 

Amazing Adventures is a nice BRP supplement, but it's not quite a standalone product.  Exasperatingly, it often refers back to the BRP core rulebook on certain topics, such as psychic powers or gadgets (though some overlap with 7th ed. CoC, such as chases).  It does, however, contain some neat pulp-y mechanics for Action Points - which can be expended for general heroic exploits, lucky escapes, cheating death, etc. - and Resources - which can be either notable talents/skills or special feats that cost Action Points.  All things considered, its tone is closer to Doc Savage than Beau Geste.

Travern

I understand there are some pulp rules out there.  It strikes me that these might help with my Foreign Legion campaign.  Have they been published?

Coincidentally, Rick Meints just posted an update on the CoC 7th edition's Kickstarter page that explicitly mentions it: "The Pulp Cthulhu book is written. It is in initial layout."  While that's far from sending final pages to the printer, it's something.

gloriousbattle

Thank you gentlemen, this is very helpful.

BTW, for anyone who is interested, I am basing the campaign around an article in The Whisperer #5, Save the Last Bullet For Yourself: The French Foreign Legion In Call Of Cthulhu.  This, quite frankly, is one of the best CoC historical sources I have ever read, with excellent rules for playing Legon characters, integrating the mythos with the Legion, etc. 

For those of you who like pulp style action, it also has great rules for 'Baraka."  This (historical, btw, not pulled out of somebody's fevered brain) was a supernatural phenomenon believed in by Legionnaires, involving being touched by a spirit who could make you virtually invulnerable to damage (by human weapons, powerful beings, and, I suppose, even gods, but not by minion level mythos beings, curiously) but Baraka is fickle, and you can never know how long it will stick around. 

Boris

Well, as things progress towards the completion of the 7e Kickstarter my curiosity about Pulp Cthluhu has been reignited.  

I realise that the layout is being finalised with art etc. but I am wondering if a few hints about the book could be released?

There has been mention of rules changes to make the game more "pulpy" (not wanting to get into an argument about definitions, so I'm assuming this means more action/ heroic in style) but little about the specifics.  So my main burning questions are:

• What rules are added to the system that make the game more action orientated?
  • Are there any changes to character creation, such as new types of traits/ stats etc?
  • Any changes around damage/ healing to reflect the "beaten up but keeps going/ ignores wounds" trope of action fiction?
  • How is magic changed?
  • Any details about changes to Sanity rules?

Thanks to anyone who can give some hints about what to expect!

PoC
Threads merged.

dce

Wow ... it's the end of an era. The long, long, long anticipated Pulp Cthulhu has today hit the streets (in PDF form anyway).

For those who don't know, this product was first announced by Chaosium in 2001 and has been a "coming soon" title ever since. Well done to Mike Mason and others for finally getting it over the line -- I think this must be some kind of record for the longest gestation period for a CoC product ...

At first glance it looks pretty good too :)

Dean (from Adelaide)

deuce

I wish only the best for the project.  B)

PoC

Pulp Cthulhu - front page news!

PoC

Print copies of Pulp Cthulhu are now appearing in people's mail boxes.

DAR

Print copies of Pulp Cthulhu are now appearing in people's mail boxes.

I hate to say this, but is there "proof" of that? ASs in do you know someone who has received a physical copy? I haven't received my copy yet (which was an add-on at the time of the Kickstarter admittedly) and my one question on the Update has gone unanswered...

D.

PoC

Yes. Here's a photo from Steph McAlea.

IMG_6667.JPG

I'm still waiting for mine too.

nclarke

I know several folks who have received copies (and showed pictures) but I think that they may wholly be those due copies under some sort of contributor arrangement. I expect that copies will be going out to backers soon according to what I heard at The Kraken last month.

DAR

Ok, thanks, that explains much. :-D 

D.

PoC

It appears the bulk shipping of the print edition is still a couple of weeks away.

Beyond07

So it finally comes out and it's for the Crapthulhu edition.  I'll waiting for 8th edition, when Chaosium realizes that 7th edition is their version of D&D 4th edition and undoes the damage they've done to their previously great system.

PoC

Chaosium have said the are no plans to take away anybody's favourite edition (older versions remain available in PDF). Conversion between 7e and earlier incarnations isn't exactly difficult and it appears some people do indeed very much like Chaosium's Pulp Cthulhu release.

There's an interview with the principal author (who is also the Call of Cthulhu Line Developer and 7e co-author) available to listen to here on YSDC:

Pulp Cthulhu Interview with Mike Mason

numtini

•  

• What rules are added to the system that make the game more action orientated?
  • Are there any changes to character creation, such as new types of traits/ stats etc?
  • Any changes around damage/ healing to reflect the "beaten up but keeps going/ ignores wounds" trope of action fiction?
  • How is magic changed?
  • Any details about changes to Sanity rules?
I realize this is just a wee bit delayed, but

To start with combat, you get double hit points and there's a variety of ways to spend luck to avoid damage. There's no major wounds, which are an underappreciated danger in the 7E system. And you get 1-3 back from first aid instead of 1. You can also spend all your luck and avoid even certain death as a one time thing. If you do die, you can get a special "blaze of glory" action which for me has proven really popular in the one shots I've run. The Keeper is encouraged to fill out encounters with mooks who go down easy.

For character creation, you get a pulp archetype (egghead, beefcake, femme fatale) and get to boost the characteristic for that archetype and get a hundred extra skill points. The extra points don't hurt on the action/combat thing either. You also get two special pulp talents which are everything from a bonus die up to having psychic powers or a weird science device depending on the Keeper's vision for how pulpy they want to be.

A lot of the system is fueled by luck spends and you get a lot back after every session--more than twice the regular game. Spend luck to shake off damage, spend luck to avoid SAN loss, etc.

Sanity uses different temporary insanity things that are more pulpy and if you lose it, you can get some extra "insane talents" that manifest. Like suddenly you'll have insane strength and get a bonus die or you'll start being able to speak another language.

You can pick and choose how out there you want to be as a Keeper and it all hangs together pretty well, but still feels very much like "Cthulhu" at the same time. It's definitely not the ToC pulp where pulp just means you aren't doomed. It's solid pulp action/old time radio drama stuff.

Edit: And my shipping info just updated and my print copy should be waiting on my doorstep when my partner and I come back from Rogue One.

golfsale

So it finally comes out and it's for the Crapthulhu edition.

That was exactly my reaction too.

PoC

In which case, simply don't play it! As I discussed with people during the D&D 4e period, just vote with your time and your wallet.

I'm personally still happy with prior editions and conversion from 7e->1-6e is fairly trivial. I'm more interested in the ideas and stories than the nominal system employed. @RogerBW for example runs Cthulhu games at the YSDC Games Days using GURPS 4th Edition. Does anyone complain? No, because folks are having a jolly time being involved in a great story, regardless of system.

Call of Cthulhu is a state of mind.

Perhaps better to be glad that new material is still being produced (that can be repurposed if necessary) rather than Chaosium going down the tubes as they very nearly did the other year.

theuglyamerican

I heartily concur with this, PoC. I too prefer earlier editions, but the differences are too minor to get cranked up about, and only one (Luck) feel really violates the ethos of CoC. So instead I just use the old rules for luck -- which, incidentally, is exactly what I do with the Luck rule (such as it is) from the new Delta Green. No system is perfect, and in almost 40 years of playing RPGs I don't think I've ever played a system more than two or three times without house ruling it to a greater or lesser extent. Rather than complain about the new rules, I'm excited that new CoC material is being produced that is high quality, readily available, and actually pays the people who produce it. 

numtini

And the luck spends are optional in 7E. I think people miss that because pretty much everyone I've played with thinks they're awesome. But they are optional. Since luck spends are basically the engine for pulp, they're not optional there, but there's a section about setting house limits on how big a spend and limiting them so you can't spend on certain types of rolls.

HomoLupusDomesticus

And the luck spends are optional in 7E. I think people miss that because pretty much everyone I've played with thinks they're awesome. But they are optional. Since luck spends are basically the engine for pulp, they're not optional there, but there's a section about setting house limits on how big a spend and limiting them so you can't spend on certain types of rolls.

I do wish the `Pushing' rules would also be optional, but that still doesn't mean I don't like the new edition and Pulp Cthulhu looks like it will be a blast.

nclarke

Not sure what stops you stating no Pushing rolls in your game if you don't like them.

It's often difficult to get players to narrate how things could be 'pushed' and sometimes tricky to ensure an appropriate 'penalty' if the 'pushed' roll also fails but that's hardly the fault of the revised rules.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now