drone232

The Edge of Darkness

drone232

Alright, can someone explain to me how to post an audio recording on this site. I just got home from work and decided to go ahead and post the audio recording, but I don't know how to. It does not say I have the ability to post things under "files". I also don't see an option to post it on this topic. I will continue looking in the morning, but now it is late and I am sleepy. 

PoC

Alright, can someone explain to me how to post an audio recording on this site.

If it's very short (under 2 MB) then as a site Patron you can use the file attachment system in your forum or blog posts to upload it to the site.

If it's a full game recording (and therefore bigger), then people have usually had much success uploading their audio to their Dropbox (or similar) account (public folder) and then posting a link to it.

drone232

Found a website called archve.org that allows people to freely post audio and text files. The link to my game is https://archive.org/details/CallCthulhuEdgeOfDarkness

Since thisis only my third game keeping, I implore all the keepers to review my keeping. Thank you for all your posts.

PRuano

I second this being one of the best introductory scenarios for Call of Cthulhu and I also prefer it to The Haunting.  I've run it three time now to introduce new players to the game and as a starting point for Horror on the Orient Express.

Can you give some details on how you connected the two (Edge and Horror)?

BenJoss

Can you give some details on how you connected the two (Edge and Horror)?

Sure.

I based the game in London, well Essex to be precise and had Rupert as an old colleague and friend of Prof.Smith. The investigators each had their own personal links to Merriweather that gave them a good reason to be involved. This is how Smith got to know the players as a group which of course then gives you the in to Horror.

Obviously the events in Edge open up a window into the Mythos which the players then wanted to follow up.

PRuano

Sure.

I based the game in London, well Essex to be precise and had Rupert as an old colleague and friend of Prof.Smith. The investigators each had their own personal links to Merriweather that gave them a good reason to be involved. This is how Smith got to know the players as a group which of course then gives you the in to Horror.

Obviously the events in Edge open up a window into the Mythos which the players then wanted to follow up.

Thks.

Beyond09

Found a website called archve.org that allows people to freely post audio and text files. The link to my game is https://archive.org/details/CallCthulhuEdgeOfDarkness

Since thisis only my third game keeping, I implore all the keepers to review my keeping. Thank you for all your posts.

I've heard it. There was something wrong with the recording as towards the last third or so it kept jumping foward and back, but I could stiull follow the story.

Drone, I have to tell you, your players are the dumbest bunch of misfits I've ever heard playing CoC since I ran a scenario were they chose to assault a nest of vampires during the night. :-). Bloodthirsty bunch of bastard too! Shooting the hobo's legs off while he's running?! I like my CoC with guns, but these players are the reason we can't have nice things. :lol:

With such poor clay to mold, don't fret if you feel GM artistry was less good here or there. Time and XP will edge the rough edges.

So...

I was impressed with the chaos that ensued after the creature escaped the burning house. I expected and end and epilogue there but you managed to extend the advemture by 1/4 with that.

I'd recommend getting more proficient with the rules and getting your players to read them. At least the core mechanic and Resistance Table. When action was happening inside the house I couldn't really tell what was going on sometimes or what was being rolled.

You apparently misused my advice to make players say how they knew Merriweather. It was not supposed to sound like an imposition to your players. You should have set the premisse they all knew him and he was a figure they respected for some reason, it was up to the player to come up with a reason that fitted his character, something beyind "I met him at a cafe".

You should have used more sanity rolls. I don't mean purpousefully but there was crap happening that definitively merited it after the house burned down.

Teach your players to describe what their characters want to do and how they want to do it rather than asking "Can I have an ---- roll?". You are the one that should be asking rolls when needed and a smart player doesn't want to roll at all and will try to set his PC's actions in a manner that might avoid the need for one when possible.

Your gaming environment didn't sound optimal. There were third parties talking and cell phones ringing. If possible set the time and location of your sesions to avoid this. Rule that cellphones must be off during the game unless someone is a Paramedic, is waiting for a call from a babysitter or something along those lines.

Skill checks. Did you use them? I honestly can't remember listening any.

That's all I can say for now. If I remember something else I'll let you know. All the best for your next session!

drone232

I've heard it. There was something wrong with the recording as towards the last third or so it kept jumping foward and back, but I could stiull follow the story.

Drone, I have to tell you, your players are the dumbest bunch of misfits I've ever heard playing CoC since I ran a scenario were they chose to assault a nest of vampires during the night:-).  Bloodthirsty bunch of bastard too! Shooting the hobo's legs off while he's running?! I like my CoC with guns, but these players are the reason we can't have nice things. :lol:  

The French antiquarian acquired a shotgun in his first scenario and has gotten quite proficient. He wanted to immobalize the hobo with a gunshot, but non-lethal attacks only work with melees, not guns. 

With such poor clay to mold, don't fret if you feel GM artistry was less good here or there. Time and XP will edge the rough edges.

So...

I was impressed with the chaos that ensued after the creature escaped the burning house. I expected and end and epilogue there but you managed to extend the advemture by 1/4 with that.

I wanted my group to see what they had wrought upon the world because of their insolence. 

I'd recommend getting more proficient with the rules and getting your players to read them. At least the core mechanic and Resistance Table. When action was happening inside the house I couldn't really tell what was going on sometimes or what was being rolled.

Since it was being recorded, I should have been mindful that the listeners can't see the rolls. 

You apparently misused my advice to make players say how they knew Merriweather. It was not supposed to sound like an imposition to your players. You should have set the premisse they all knew him and he was a figure they respected for some reason, it was up to the player to come up with a reason that fitted his character, something beyind "I met him at a cafe".

You should have used more sanity rolls. I don't mean purpousefully but there was crap happening that definitively merited it after the house burned down.

I do agree with that considering seeing an invisible entity eating people can be quite sanity taxing. 

Teach your players to describe what their characters want to do and how they want to do it rather than asking "Can I have an ---- roll?". You are the one that should be asking rolls when needed and a smart player doesn't want to roll at all and will try to set his PC's actions in a manner that might avoid the need for one when possible.

My interpretation of the rules was that players should be the ones asking for rolls as much as possible, but it does make more sense that the players should simply state their actions with me deciding whether or not those actions require a roll. In my second scenario I ran "The Madman" I had players asking for persuasion and fast talk rolls without stating what they were saying or doing, it took the fun out of roleplaying since they weren't roleplaying. 

Your gaming environment didn't sound optimal. There were third parties talking and cell phones ringing. If possible set the time and location of your sesions to avoid this. Rule that cellphones must be off during the game unless someone is a Paramedic, is waiting for a call from a babysitter or something along those lines.

This has been the best gaming environment I've had yet. You have no idea how chaotic and noisy it gets at my house. 

Skill checks. Did you use them? I honestly can't remember listening any.

I forgot to and have yet to still. I will eventually, probably at the beginning of the next scenario. I will have to remember what skills were succesfully used since I several times forgot to ask for check marking skills. 

That's all I can say for now. If I remember something else I'll let you know. All the best for your next session!

Thank you.

PoC

Drone, I have to tell you, your players are the dumbest bunch of misfits I've ever heard playing CoC since...

Please keep it friendly. Thank you.

jlynn

In hindsight I should have used a Lorem Ipsum generator and provided handouts with something along the lines of:

<snip>

The handout would, of course, be in barely legible handwriting so that the investigators aren't 100% certain that they're chanting the right words (but that goes without saying).

That is absolutely brilliant -- and thank you for the link; I hadn't seen this particular generator before. You just made my day! My poor players are going to be pulling their hair out from now on when they try a spell, thanks to you!!! :-P

Imagine having to repeat five paragraphs of nonsense "Latin," delivered if crappy handwriting, in order to cast a spell, all the while hoping they can get it done before they get eaten/driven insane/arrested! BWAHAHAHAHAHA

jlynn

Sadly, I've never played Edge, but having read through this, I must say it sounds well worth the time and attention, and glancing it over, it does seem like a much superior way to get a group of Investigators together that have never "met" before -- at least compared with the usual lamery about "you are all with the Puckwiler Detective Agency," "you all work for the renowned Professor Puckwiler," or "you, an elf, and a dwarf meet in a tavern..." (oh, wait, that last was from a different RPG!)  :oops:

Fortunately, I have a brand new group of "virgins" (people who not only have never played an RPG together before, but haven't even ever read anything by HPL) forming who should be perfect for this.... 

Fabio

After many decades, since I last ran or played Call of Cthulhu, I will be running an introductory scenario for a new group.

I was going to run "The Haunting" (which I last did I the 1980's), however wanting to make a great first impression to my players & seeing this topic. I will be running "Edge" ( 2nd September, 2017).

Hopefully this scenario will cement the group & be start of a beautiful friendship.

If it's really good, I might run it again (in October) in my local games shop, here in London.

jlynn

Though, to be fair, I think The Haunting just got a lot more useful as a starting scenario if you backed the The Star on the Shore Kickstarter and also picked up their expansion for The Haunting, called Dark Haunting.  It kicks The Haunting up a notch, and ties it much more firmly into the Starry Wisdom cult, as well as being extremely dangerous.  It also serves as a lead-in to The Star on the Shore, but you can manipulate it to lead into just about any campaign you like, given the way it's restructured.  Still, as a one-shot intro scenario, I have to say that Edge of Darkness still looks like the best choice!

Alas, my newbie group never formed, so I never got to run Edge, but I'm keeping it in reserve, right now, just in case...

(If I were launching a new group today, I'd probably go with Edge for their first scenario, and then pull them into the new Haunting which could lead them to many different places!)

Untouchable

I used Edge of Darkness as my starting scenario for a new group, as (IMHO) it was the best of all the others that I read for getting a group together, plausibly. All gathering at a death bed is perfect, as you can bring in PCs from all corners of the globe, if need be. Then, after they run through the scenario, you can go from there, as surely the PC that is "next up" for something weird happening, will call their "fellows" that were just involved with something "strange". Works like a charm.

I then used The Haunting as my second scenario. But, as was mentioned about the new KS that I backed as well, I'm anxious to see the new tie-in material for The Haunting (very anxious).

Love the mumbo-jumbo chanting bit, and will use it for my new CoC group that should be staring this year.

jlynn

If you backed the Star on the Shore, and added the Dark Haunting scenario, you should already have the new material.  My hard copies arrived over a month ago.  You might want to contact the Kickstarter creator and follow up if you still haven't gotten yours.

PoC

If people do want to use "gibberish" in their games, they're perfectly entitled to!

I made up a lot of gibberish in our game of Horror on the Orient Express (deliberately - not just the normal stuff at the table). ;-)

Dabbler

Although the offending post has been deleted, the kindness of PoC in a private message has persuaded me to apologise in a public manner. I hold what my mother calls extremely stiff and archaic views on most matters and believe firmly that Lovecraft's work ranks as a survival of proper literature from men like White of Selborne. I denounced the use of gibberish in games because I believe it cheapens Lovecraft's work.

You have been tremendously understanding about my odd posts and I have no right -- none whatsoever -- to interfere with your enjoyment . I have been a pompous ass.

PoC

I think you're being too hard on yourself! Ultimately as long as people are having fun playing the games, that's all that matters, and to be fair various people like various degrees of verisimilitude (it's definitely a range).

Getting back to the OP's topic. Edge of Darkness is a great scenario. Tragically (fortunately?) it's the only one I played in recent times where the group I was playing in didn't get to finish the adventure. I'm just going to have a quick look in the attic...

AlexanderCorvaine

I have run this adventure to begin a campaign on four separate occasions (with minor modifications each time, and once in the modern era). I agree that is is a better intro scenario than "The Haunting" if for no other reason than it directly gives cause for gathering a party with a more emotional connection to their characters (a dying man's last wish as opposed to being hired to investigate a house). That, and I prefer the Lurker as an introduction to the mythos, rather than Corbitt. This isn't to say that the Haunting isn't great, but I feel that it should be the 2nd adventure of a campaign, not the first. In this order then, the first scenario teaches new players and Keeper about horror roleplaying in general, and Lovecraft's themes specifically (Dark family secrets, ancient horrors from beyond, conspiracies, and no guarantee of victory). The Second Scenario (The Haunting), then teaches both players and Keeper the importance of research and planning. Both scenarios are good for teaching new players and Keepers essential tools for making Call of Cthulhu work as a unique kind of RPG and not just DnD.

That, and I always take sadistic glee that a player who has been in Edge several times has received maximum damage from the hobo three times in a row (every time that he has played.