PoC

What are you eating/drinking right now?

GBSteve

I was here earlier, eating one of these:

image.jpg

griffin

Bettys simnel cake -yumm - pressie from Harrogate.

post-6815-142835164186_thumb.jpg

yockenthwaite

If it's ok to post an old just been eating, here is a picture showing what our in hotel breakfasts were like this week just gone. Magic unfolding table with a hot cupboard underneath, and lots of courses. This was breakfast served in our hotel room. Very civilised.

post-3414-144096172722_thumb.jpg

And just to add context here is the view from the window behind my husband then.

post-3414-144096176672_thumb.jpg

We were in Edinburgh to attend the annual book festival.

rylehNC

Teriyaki pork kebabs grilled over a peach wood fire. Sadly, no green peppers were ripe.

GBSteve

Today we had roast chicken with roast potatoes and carrots, peas and gravy. There was garlic involved too and a splash of wine in the gravy.

deuce
On 31/08/2015 at 01:21, GBSteve said:

Today we had roast chicken with roast potatoes and carrots, peas and gravy. There was garlic involved too and a splash of wine in the gravy.

Sounds tasty!

I had some "il sette virtu" (seven virtues), a traditional, fairly complex northern Italian minestra paired with fresh-baked soda bread (I was out of yeast). A much better pairing than one might think. Oh, and some Burgundy.

GBSteve
On 31/08/2015 at 02:44, deuce said:

I had some "il sette virtu" (seven virtues), a traditional, fairly complex northern Italian minestra paired with fresh-baked soda bread (I was out of yeast). A much better pairing than one might think. Oh, and some Burgundy.

Sounds tasty and complicated!

In Abruzzo, a special minestrone called le sette virtu is made on May Day from all the leftovers in the larder. It contains seven kinds of leftover dried pasta, seven kinds of dried beans, stock made from seven types of preserved leftovers of pig (such as the feet), seven kinds of fresh vegetables (including artichokes, fennel and fava beans) and seven fresh herbs.

zombielord

Creamy Chicken Pot Pie

Rum + Coke (Kraken)

Scotch + Coke (Dewar's White Label)

15717907003_d424e2206f_m.jpg

Pirate Rum by Joshua Meadows, on Flickr

yockenthwaite

Just back from my birthday lunch in Visocchi's Italian cafe in Broughty Ferry, on the edge of Dundee in eastern Scotland. I ate too much :)

Pasta with creamy sauce and mushrooms, followed by raspberry pavlova sundae and Venetian hot chocolate and marshmallows. I feel quite over stuffed and may not eat again for days! I have been losing weight - intentionally - since late April, and before going out today had reached another new record low weight. I have already declared I will not weigh myself tomorrow!

My husband also had a great pizza and ice cream bombe to follow.

post-3414-144180520654_thumb.jpgpost-3414-144180521944_thumb.jpgpost-3414-144180523097_thumb.jpgpost-3414-144180524334_thumb.jpgpost-3414-144180525633_thumb.jpg

yockenthwaite

Just made a pot of tea using the loose tea we got free in two mini caddies after our recent Afternoon Tea at the Palm Court in Edinburgh's Balmoral Hotel. First time I have ever made loose tea. My granny used to make it in the 1970s and I hated always ending up with tea leaves in my cup. This time worked much better - a strainer that really worked, and tea that turned out, well, tea like! It's a mild Ceylon blend that we chose on the day in Edinburgh, and this version at home tastes just like then. Two teaspoons of tea in my mini pot for one gave two cups. Drunk in my finest China mug, and eaten with healthy Belgian speculoos biscuits and cookie dough dip from my Graze box. Yum. May repeat this mini tea ceremony next week.

post-3414-144261385136_thumb.jpg

deuce
On 18/09/2015 at 23:05, yockenthwaite said:

Just made a pot of tea using the loose tea we got free in two mini caddies after our recent Afternoon Tea at the Palm Court in Edinburgh's Balmoral Hotel. First time I have ever made loose tea. My granny used to make it in the 1970s and I hated always ending up with tea leaves in my cup. This time worked much better - a strainer that really worked, and tea that turned out, well, tea like! It's a mild Ceylon blend that we chose on the day in Edinburgh, and this version at home tastes just like then. Two teaspoons of tea in my mini pot for one gave two cups. Drunk in my finest China mug, and eaten with healthy Belgian speculoos biscuits and cookie dough dip from my Graze box. Yum. May repeat this mini tea ceremony next week.

Sounds awesome!  I was reintroduced to such when i was in Gourock in April, 2014. I need to make a batch of "Scottish Tablet".

The Scots are just great people (in my experience).

yockenthwaite

Sounds awesome!  I was reintroduced to such when i was in Gourock in April, 2014. I need to make a batch of "Scottish Tablet".

The Scots are just great people (in my experience).

:-D

deuce
On 01/09/2015 at 01:33, GBSteve said:

Sounds tasty and complicated!

Definitely! Also, very simple, in its way. I normally make a "3.5 Virtues" (or thereabouts) version. Very hard to get all "seven" of all ingredients in there. That said, everyone loves it.

I originally started making it for "May Day" celebrations (what it was designed for). However, it was so popular that I make it year-round. The main thing is to get the sauce/broth right. After that, the rest pulls together.  :)

yockenthwaite

Tonight we're having an early St Andrew's Day (tomorrow) celebration meal, with haggis, neeps and tattles.

For the haggis we always favour Macsween's, and tonight the pair of us are going to be eating the 2-3 person version. It can be cooked in the microwave, but I find that can be uneven/unreliable. So even though it takes yonks I prefer to wrap the haggis in foil, and cook it in the oven in a water bath for 75 minutes.

Strictly speaking for the neeps we should be eating swedes which are not the same as general turnips. But for convenience we've got microwave veg, and it looks like it's normal turnips. Plus mashed potato (tatties).

Haggis is often served with whisky sauce, but we're not doing that this time. I may have some whisky though ...

Galbraith

Tonight we're having an early St Andrew's Day (tomorrow) celebration meal, with haggis, neeps and tattles.

For the haggis we always favour Macsween's, and tonight the pair of us are going to be eating the 2-3 person version. It can be cooked in the microwave, but I find that can be uneven/unreliable. So even though it takes yonks I prefer to wrap the haggis in foil, and cook it in the oven in a water bath for 75 minutes.

Strictly speaking for the neeps we should be eating swedes which are not the same as general turnips. But for convenience we've got microwave veg, and it looks like it's normal turnips. Plus mashed potato (tatties).

Haggis is often served with whisky sauce, but we're not doing that this time. I may have some whisky though ...

What goes into whisky sauce? Being from the far coast of the US originally, I'm not too familiar. Is it just whisky and some other base?

rylehNC

What goes into whisky sauce? Being from the far coast of the US originally, I'm not too familiar. Is it just whisky and some other base?

Whisky was one of the only nouns I recognized in that post! :-P  

GBSteve

Whisky sauce is mostly double cream, spiced up with mustard and a dram or two.

I made pork stew for supper. The meat had been sitting overnight in a mix of cider vinegar, smoked paprika, garlic and chipotle. I fried it with a mirepoix (or soffrito) then added peppers and potatoes and stewed it slowly for three hours. Nom.

golfsale

I went to a Burns Night party a few years back; didn't touch the haggis, but drank an unfeasible amount of whisky and declaimed Burns' Salute to the Haggis in an outrageous fake Scots accent.

cpt_machine

Going home to enjoy some slow cooked beef stew in a giant Yorkshire pudding. How very British :)

yronimoswhateley

A 5-Way Cincinnati chili (it's a Mediterranean sort of thing), with ouzo on ice (a kind of poor-man's absinthe...)

WinstonP

Black tea with cream and sugar; a strawberry pop tart.  Probably not a great idea for lunch.

neorxnawang

Strawberry pop tarts are shoggoth slime, the refuse that remains after you buy a case of mixed pop tarts and eat the rest :-P They're not a good meal anytime, unless you need an emetic in pinch :-P I, with my more refined palate, had CINNAMON pop tarts for lunch. #teamdcinnamon

yronimoswhateley

Wow, some cookies-and-cream poptarts sound really good right now, now that you mention poptarts, but I haven't got any and don't feel like shopping.

Alas, today instead is a leftovers with water day.

ScS

I'm class'n it up a sugar rush with some home-made short-bread cookies, chocolate dipped truffles and washing it down with hot egg.

You can't spell delicious without eldritch.

Well, you can in English, but not in Yithian.