Black-Seal-Editor

Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion Kickstarter now live!

jlynn

If you choose a different pledge level then KS will change your pledge level, not add another level to an existing pledge. The KS site just isn't set up for pledging at multiple levels.

Just FYI, I created a separate Kickstarter account using a secondary e-mail for the MoN Props Kickstarter back in December.  That worked just fine as far as the pledging went, but unless your secondary e-mail is completely separate from your primary e-mail (definitely NOT the case with Yahoo aliases, BTW), you won't be able to answer both end-of-Kickstarter surveys.  In that case, you'll need to make sure you are in close touch with the Kickstarter creator and that s/he knows what you are doing and understands that both of your accounts are actually yours.  Fortunately Ben Patey was very, very supportive of me doing things this way (and, in fact, generally -- his was the best Kickstarter I've participated in to date in that area), and was very clear that he understood who both of my aliases were on Kickstarter.  Of course the proof will be during the actual shipping (which may even be underway as I write this), but I have every confidence that Ben will do a great job.

So that's one technique that worked for me.  As my one learning point, if I were to do it again, I'd probably use a g-mail address or something for my second account to avoid any possible confusion on the fulfillment side of the program.

Afraid of the dark

Ah, you both raise very interesting points there.

PaulFricker

You can listen to Adam Crossingham speaking about this Kickstarter in an interview with The Good Friends of Jackson Elias podcast. We discuss the development of the book, the stretch goals and Kickstarter. The episode includes a general discussion of the campaign along with some anecdotes. There is also an interview with another guest who speaks enthusiastically about his experience running the whole campaign using the Companion and the 7th edition rules.

You can find the show at:

SJE

There is also an interview with another guest who speaks enthusiastically about his experience running the whole campaign using the Companion and the 7th edition rules.

You can find the show at:

I was the other guest- thanks for having me on Paul/Scott/Matt. :)

And I realise that I never said a heartfelt thank you to all the writers and editors who created the Companion and to YSDC for hosting this great resource and letting me download it for free. Very much appreciated and made a huge difference in my game.

Black-Seal-Editor

Just a quick note just to say that the Masks Companion is now in its last week of fund-raising.

We've met our funding target and we've breached numerous stretch goals that will enlarge the Shanghai and Australian chapters of the Companion.

Remember that this will be your only opportunity to pick up the Masks Companion in printed format. The Masks Companion ends on  uesday March 10 2015 at 17:55  GMT. Make your pledge now, or set the reminder to alert you when there is only 48 hours left.

The Masks Companion Kickstarter can be found here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482503977/masks-of-nyarlathotep-companion

Emrys

There are now three stretch goals which say they will be available as separate add-ons (those for £14,500, £29,000 and £35,000) but I can't see anything to say how much these optional add-ons will actually cost. It's also unclear (to me, at least) how some of the goals will be delivered.

Would it be possible to amend the list of stretch goals to show how they will be delivered and their cost (if applicable)?

DAR

Currently Kicktraq has it to just cross 34,000 - given the huge range for that last stretch goal it seems mostly like a "everyone gets potato salad" as opposed to something they want to actually provide. I hope I'm proven wrong, but at this point I'm not expecting to see it cross the final goalpost for 7e stats - especially with no "high ticket" (aka leather-ish bound) or retailer (multiple copies at a discounted price) pricepoints.

That said, I'm glad that we'll see this in actual print and that it has succeeded so well!

D.

jlynn

I'm sure hoping Ben Patey gets back with Adam soon on the add-ons.  I'd like to be able to...well...add them on....  :neutral:

DAR

Agreed - the add-ons will probably add quite a chunk of change to the Kickstarter, if they can get them taken care of before the KS ends. If they don't then they'll need to figure out how to collect the funds, make sure everyone gets the correct split, etc...

D

jlynn

Currently Kicktraq has it to just cross 34,000 - given the huge range for that last stretch goal it seems mostly like a "everyone gets potato salad" as opposed to something they want to actually provide. I hope I'm proven wrong, but at this point I'm not expecting to see it cross the final goalpost for 7e stats - especially with no "high ticket" (aka leather-ish bound) or retailer (multiple copies at a discounted price) pricepoints.

That said, I'm glad that we'll see this in actual print and that it has succeeded so well!

D.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the 7th edition stats -- it seems easy enough to convert, and the pushing rolls rules will definitely fit in well with the more pulpish nature of Masks, so it's a logical but easy thing to do.  I note we are already almost to the Sand Bat Cult article now. 

On an almost completely off-topic subject, you know what else I would have wished for in a perfect world, not necessarily having anything specific to do with Masks, per se?  An effort at producing a guidebook for Shanghai -- like the old Cairo Guidebook, or the old London Guidebook.  Something like that would make that whole period and the complexities of that city much more approachable for most of us, I suspect.  Ah well.  Maybe someday.  Come to think of it, there's a project Sixtystone or Pagan or someone could take on -- guidebooks on cities on each continent/region; Shanghai, maybe Sydney, Berlin or Paris, Constantinople/Istanbul, Leningrad, Bombay or Delhi, Baghdad, Capetown, Rio de Janeiro or maybe Lima or Montevideo, Mexico City or Vera Cruz, maybe Montreal, etc.  Places that serve as gateways to adventure or hotbeds of intrigue, or that have extensive occult associations....  That would give some company a lot of projects to work and would do wonders for most Keepers.  Totally a pipe dream, but there it is.

Black-Seal-Editor

On an almost completely off-topic subject, you know what else I would have wished for in a perfect world, not necessarily having anything specific to do with Masks, per se?  An effort at producing a guidebook for Shanghai -- like the old Cairo Guidebook, or the old London Guidebook.  Something like that would make that whole period and the complexities of that city much more approachable for most of us, I suspect.  Ah well.  Maybe someday.  Come to think of it, there's a project Sixtystone or Pagan or someone could take on -- guidebooks on cities on each continent/region; Shanghai, maybe Sydney, Berlin or Paris, Constantinople/Istanbul, Leningrad, Bombay or Delhi, Baghdad, Capetown, Rio de Janeiro or maybe Lima or Montevideo, Mexico City or Vera Cruz, maybe Montreal, etc.  Places that serve as gateways to adventure or hotbeds of intrigue, or that have extensive occult associations....  That would give some company a lot of projects to work and would do wonders for most Keepers.  Totally a pipe dream, but there it is.

It may be more than a pipe-dream 8). For at least two of the cities mentioned.

I don't want to confirm this as I want to get the Companion, Ghouls, Unhallowed Wizardry and CLC out first, but what you're talking about has been discussed as long term goals at Sixtystone Towers.

But the Companion, Ghouls, Unhallowed Wizardry and CLC are my primary priorities at the moment.

Pookie

The Kickstarter for the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion is down to the last four hours and the good news is that last Stretch Goal has been reached—the conversion of all stats in the Masks Companion to Call of Cthulhu Seventh Edition.

Thank you to everyone who has pledged so far and waited so long for this book to come to print.

I am looking forward to more of my pre-generated investigators/NPCs come to print and also be available to everyone.

PoC

Wow, this closed at a smidgen under £36K.

A GIANT THANK YOU to everyone involved. What a fantastic project.

Simply incredible!

WinstonP

Simply incredible!

Ditto.  Thanks to everyone who helped on the project and the many generous backers!  It has been a real honor to have been part of this (enormous) project.

Blood and kisses!

jlynn

I must say, I'm impressed!  Almost 600% reinforces just how happy we all were with the Companion we downloaded before!  And the new goodies should make it even more amazing.

I sure hope we'll soon have the opportunity to add more money to the pot for Ben Patey's stuff too.

All in all, both Sixtystone Press and YSDC are to be congratulated for an outstanding Kickstarter!

It may be more than a pipe-dream 8). For at least two of the cities mentioned.

I don't want to confirm this as I want to get the Companion, Ghouls, Unhallowed Wizardry and CLC out first, but what you're talking about has been discussed as long term goals at Sixtystone Towers.

But the Companion, Ghouls, Unhallowed Wizardry and CLC are my primary priorities at the moment.

I am THRILLED to think it might be so.  I realize you have many other irons in the fire, but am pleased to see that this might come up in the publishing schedule one of these days too.

Thanks for the tip; I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for them!

Azimuth

Simply incredible!

It's really heartwarming to see - an amazing showcase of the best qualities of the community; the project wouldn't have been possible without the passion, talent, commitment and support of so many people. Everyone involved should feel justifiably proud.

Afraid of the dark

So 51% of £35937 is £18327-ish to Yoggie.  Any ideas how you will invest that?  Other products, projects, film investment?  What does the future hold?

PoC

The number will be far lower than that I'm afraid! I believe extra costs may have been incurred and some of that total goes to @Velocipede for additional add-on orders for his Masks... props.

Also factor in the tax we have to pay to HMRC on the final amount received and it becomes rather more modest. ;-)

Also, Yoggie won't see a penny of it until the autumn anyway, which gives us plenty of time to consider its best use (beyond day-to-day running costs).

jlynn

So 51% of £35937 is £18327-ish to Yoggie.  Any ideas how you will invest that?  Other products, projects, film investment?  What does the future hold?

You forgot to factor in the % that Kickstarter takes right up front.  Then, as PoC notes, there are the production costs that have to be paid (including the stretch goals), plus the money going straight over to the MoN Props by Ben, plus those periodic unexpected costs that crop up in every production effort, and then, as Paul also points out, taxes take a bite out of it.  When it's all said and done, I'll be VERY surprised if Paul sees even 8K.  Still, I'm glad he's getting something out of this -- in fact, I think it's awesome!

Having said all of that, if you do come up with anything cool to do with the money (other than pay operating costs, of course!), I sure hope you'll keep us informed, Paul!

PoC

Indeed I will!

I will also share what that final amount is when we receive it (if you're interested in how one number turns into another).

It may provide an exceedingly rare opportunity to do something we couldn't normally even consider doing.

- and suggestions/ideas/speculations welcome!

WinstonP

A replica of the Arc of V'lactos!

jlynn

A replica of the Arc of V'lactos!

Now that right there is brilliant!  :-)

Afraid of the dark

I don't need to see a breakdown of costs, but thought I'd mention something?  Tax.  Now, if you make profit, then it is taxable. 20%, but dependant on earnings, a sum might push into the 40% bracket, if someone were earning that money, (but they are not as it's a group).  This could be lessened if an amount were received prior to April 6th, and then the rest after. 

One other thing, I understand an item was sold at profit, but if Yoggie were a charity, things might be different.  It is, after all a free resource, with running costs (which must be tax deductible), but if it were set up as a charitable organisation, or within those boundaries, you might not have to pay tax on funds received, or interest gained on amounts held.  A local club does something like this, but has to be non profit year on year, so they buy a load of stuff and give it to the members (so there's no arguments). That not what I think should happen, as I think that's in their personal "club rules" as I'm sure there must be a way to hold over money to the next year, but they choose not to.

I was a member of a local club once, and it had funds of with £18,000.  People paid their dues to help run it, but it had the fund to fall back on 9hard times/legal troubles etc). I'm unclear exactly how it was set up, but there may be ways to reduce tax, or legally to not pay it, for a club, group or organisation that is not a business. It might be worth looking into. 

fryyourbrain

[subsequent posts moved from another thread to the relevant topic, here. ~Mod.]

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but jlynn mentioned the companion - is that still available as a PDF?  And where?

jlynn

I think it got pulled for the Kickstarter.  I have no idea if Paul plans to offer it again for free, but if not contact Sixty Stone Press to see what the eventual plan is.  I believe they mentioned that it would also be available through Chaosium as a print item while supplies lasted, but don't quote me on that.  At any rate, it's currently in limbo as far as being able to access it or download it anywhere while they edit it and get it ready for release through the Kickstarter.  It was originally supposed to be released this month, but frankly, given the expansions of content and the usual editorial process issues that crop up, I'll be pleasantly surprised if I see it before Christmas.  In point of fact, the Kickstarter backers haven't even gotten the backerkit for this one yet, so it's still pretty early days, I guess.