Velocipede

[Kickstarter] Masks of Nyarlathotep Reimagined Props

PoC

Merged.

Please read the later contents of this thread for information. In essence, it is a very sorry state of affairs.

When there's any official news it will be appended here.

PoC

Thanks to @yockenthwaite for the heads-up on the following post made on Chaosium today.

License cancelled for Masks of Nyarlathotep Prop Set Kickstarter
Posted by Michael O'Brien on October 11, 2016

Chaosium has cancelled the license for the Masks of Nyarlathotep Prop Set for the Call of Cthulhu RPG

This Kickstarter concluded on December 15, 2014 and successfully raised $74,033 with 507 backers.

Unfortunately, the creator Ben Patey failed to fulfill the Kickstarter. Nor has he paid the royalties owed to Chaosium, or responded to our messages for more than a year. Backers have expressed similar frustration.

While we appreciate (and have experienced ourselves) the challenges of fulfilling Kickstarters, it is the obligation of the creator to make every possible effort to fulfil their project, and maintain communications channels.  

Consequently, under the terms of the contract, we have advised Ben Patey that his license has been terminated. Permission to use our trademark, logos and all related intellectual property has been withdrawn.

Source: http://www.chaosium.com/blog/license-cancelled-for-masks-of-nyarlathotep-prop-set-kickstarter/

Again, if I receive any more news, I'll add it here.

PoC

Further (and likely final) information relating to this case, from people involved in pursuing Ben Patey about this sorry affair through legal means.

Dear Nyarlathotep Backers,

I heard from the Massachusetts Attorney General a bit ago. I had sent her copies of the letter, our signatures, and a cover letter explaining our case. She said I should turn to a private attorney to sue. Apparently the theft of 70k is not enough of a crime for the state of MA, or not in the AG’s purview for whatever reason.

...I know I’ve already said this but the work he [Rob] put into this case was substantial, and the next step would be him appearing in court to sue (with Ben not appearing), and then to have myself (and possibly other) people come forward as victims of theft to take the criminal route. ...I did agree to go to Salem to appear as a victim, but that is time-consuming work for Rob, and requires travel and a time commitment from me. 

I think it’s time for me to move on officially. What we got from our work is Chaosium publicly severing their ties with Ben and openly saying that he did not pay them for the license.

Either we showed Ben with our tenacity that he can’t just let something go away without some consequence, or he still thinks he’s invincible. If he does, he will mess up again, but maybe next time he pays for it. Perhaps either option is better than us wasting any more of our worries and our time on the guy. 

If an MA local (or anyone else) decides to hire an attorney and go forward with suing, I am happy to print and send any and all info I have here for that case.

I wish you all the best. I enjoyed corresponding with you, and hope to correspond with you or cross paths under some more pleasant circumstances in the future.