Velocipede

[Kickstarter] Masks of Nyarlathotep Reimagined Props

PeterFdH

Wow - that's amazing.  I do wonder whether this shows there is a wider market out there for props for the other big scenarios too.

Velocipede

I'm going to be talking with Chaosium about that possibility over the next few weeks!

TheHistorian

If that comes to fruition, space them out a little, especially with holiday crunch on people's wallets.

mvincent

I do wonder whether this shows there is a wider market out there for props for the other big scenarios too.

Assuredly. Given what others have paid for miniatures or Cthulhu sculptures, this doesn't seem too surprising.

I hope this sort of thing tips CoC into having a more cohesive player-base. The synergy of so many people playing the same scenario at the same time could have interesting effects (like say: 600 page companion books, or Organized Play events). Well-timed, professionally made props for specific scenarios could be a catalyst.

Velocipede

Assuredly. Given what others have paid for miniatures or Cthulhu sculptures, this doesn't seem too surprising.

I hope this sort of thing tips CoC into having a more cohesive player-base. The synergy of so many people playing the same scenario at the same time could have interesting effects (like say: 600 page companion books, or Organized Play events). Well-timed, professionally made props for specific scenarios could be a catalyst.

I agree with this. 

I think making CoC a more tangible "game" really helps to explain the idea to people.

Afraid of the dark

No one's really mentioned Chaosium. I think it's very good of them to, discuss, and let this project go forward. they do come in for a slagging sometimes, so thought I'd say the above!

Velocipede

I should say, my experience with Chaosium has been entirely positive, Mike Mason in particular has been really supportive/chill regarding this entire endeavor.

Afraid of the dark

Yes, I think it will be very successful, as will others.  Just not too many close together. if there's a  big spate of Cthulhu Kickstarters, people have to pick and choose.

Vaeron

It's funny that this started out a few months ago with offering "a couple extra sets" and now there are already 163 people signed up in the first couple days. Congratulations. Who knew there would be so much demand?

Aklo

I feel their was a definite market to be filled here, and thia project came along and exactly the right time! I'm very excited to think what ind of future projects will be born or inspired from this one.^^

Hazi

Hmm, the goodies look good and I probably will pledge in a minute, but first a question. Have you thought about putting some of the items included in the higher tiers (poster, keeper's screen etc) available as add-ons? I love the design of the screen, but the $225 price tag instead of the $65 or $85 I'm currently thinking kind of puts me off. I'd add the screen (and most likely the poster) in an instant if it was possible to get it separately.

Velocipede

Me and Paul are still discussing the best way to go about creating an add-on system. It's likely that we will do so, but it won't be for another day or two at the very least.

Beyond01

Just to raise a point, now that I’ve gone ahead and backed, but how is all this going to be packaged? If there is of stretch goals coming, some thoughts towards maybe a box or summat to put it all in would be nice. 

Velocipede

We have basic packaging already planned out, but if you're looking for something super-deluxe...
I have a woodworker sourced for a higher tier we have yet to reveal ;]

Mawdrigen

And as half the cult has said they are interested in playing masks... Backed!

dajebriza

Bravo!  This is such an awesome project.  Kudos to both the Velocipede and Chaosium for such a great collaboration.  I truly hope this bodes well for future notable campaign prop sets.

I personally would drop $200 - $300 for an incredible Beyond the Mountains of Madness set!  And Chaosium better do a revised BTMOM kickstarter project after they finish 7th ed and Orient Express and work together with you, incorporating the prop set into a giant deluxe package!!!

PeterFdH

We have basic packaging already planned out, but if you're looking for something super-deluxe...

I have a woodworker sourced for a higher tier we have yet to reveal ;]

I suppose that depends on where you're shipping it from... New York or Shanghai?

Marty London

Hello, well done on your kickstarter campaign !  

I'm working with a team who is currently trying to expand the Horror on the Orient Express props, trying to do a simulacrum and a Sedefkar Scroll as accurate as possible. We will launch a new crowdfunding campaign very soon (first was unsuccessfull, because we did a lot of stupid rookie mistakes and the campaign was not even re-released at the time).

Anyway Christian Lehmann told us recently about your own campaign because we also wanted to expand some props for the Masks without knowing someone already did something like that.

Delphes, sculptor of the Sedefkar Simulacrum project, worked on the Eye of Light and Darkness. She did a sculpted version as accurate as possible to match the style of the pyramid it was taken from etc. I don't know if you intended to expand this prop or not, but I always found that it was one of the most disappointing prop of the campaign (even at the time).

Here's a picture of her work in progress (not very good since we don't have the prop at hand, but we can do better when she goes to her workshop) the size is 18x11 cm (or 7X4 inches). If you find it interesting in any capacity for your project (even if we are in the last days of your campaign) you can contact us on MP here or on facebook :https://www.facebook.com/TheSedefkarSimulacrum. Cheers !

WP_20141202_001.jpg

dce

Wow ... that's a pretty cool Eye of Light and Darkness -- I'd love to own one of them!

[and BTW Marty/Delphes: bad luck on your previous Kickstarter -- I was a backer and thought it looked awesome; hope it resurfaces at some time in the future]

Dean (from Adelaide)

Marty London

Thanks ! Sorry again about the quality of the picture. Colors are nicer (reddish) in real life. And Delphes have still to paint it to give it a more ancient look.

[Thank you for your support on our previous attempt. Don't worry : We will reboot the project soon with a better understanding of how crowfunding works. Delphes is currently creating a new and more affordable Sedefkar Simulacrum (it will be a little shorter). Stay tuned !]

Taemex

Wow, that looks incredible! I've never run this campaign before, but I'm excited to see people doing things like this with Kickstarter! Good luck!

Marty London

Thank you Delphes worked very hard to give the tablet an aspect as "accurate" as possible. She explained on the facebook page why she did it like this :

"I knew the Eye of Light and Darkness was an important piece of the game. It is supposed to be part of the red pyramid, the first true smooth-sided pyramid located in Dashur, build to repulse the Black Pharao. It was the first enigma for me. If it smooth-sidded there should't be any carving on it. 

So i did some research : the red pyramid was not always red. It used to be cased with limestone but only a few of these stones now remain at the corner of the construction. So I imagined that the Eye of light and darkness was hidden somewhere behind the limestone and when the limestone falled apart, the relief was still covered with a layout of coating composed with small stones brought by the desert. 

Then I try to restitute the result, the reddish aspect, and accident effects : The reddish granite stone beneath was burning and drying under the sun for ages. I knew then how to show the burning secret of the red pyramid covered by the smooth limestone."

Velocipede

44 Hour Remaining!

Velocipede

Last hour!