ReydeAmarillo

Dark Ages - whose playing it, where and how?

wombat1

Hopefully it'll be a big seller. The first supplement/gazeteer is almost done.

That is a crucial point.  Leaving Mythos entirely aside for a moment, a set of medieval European sourcebooks for different regions would be a good seller in its own right, I think, and could be pitched not only to Cthulhu roleplayers, but others as well, and to the miniature wargaming crowd.  I would be very interested in hearing more about the supplement

banshee

That is a crucial point.  Leaving Mythos entirely aside for a moment, a set of medieval European sourcebooks for different regions would be a good seller in its own right, I think, and could be pitched not only to Cthulhu roleplayers, but others as well, and to the miniature wargaming crowd.  I would be very interested in hearing more about the supplement

Absolutely! Me too  :D

tentarephobia

What Dark Ages needs (in my opinion) is a scenario book like 'The Asylum and Others' - scenarios covering frequently encountered situations in the setting, giving enough detail so that even once the scenarios have been played, they're still useful as background; the scenario on the ocean liner which has several separate plotlines which could be intertwined, played on separate occasions, or left out altogether is the best example. I'm not sure what situations would be frequently encountered in a Dark Ages campaign - a pilgrimage to a shrine with a stay in a monastery hospice, perhaps, or celebrating some seassonal festival...?

JeffErwin

What Dark Ages needs (in my opinion) is a scenario book like 'The Asylum and Others' - scenarios covering frequently encountered situations in the setting, giving enough detail so that even once the scenarios have been played, they're still useful as background; the scenario on the ocean liner which has several separate plotlines which could be intertwined, played on separate occasions, or left out altogether is the best example. I'm not sure what situations would be frequently encountered in a Dark Ages campaign - a pilgrimage to a shrine with a stay in a monastery hospice, perhaps, or celebrating some seassonal festival...?

The pilgrimage to Santiago (starts a bit later, tho) or Rome; an outbreak of plague or disease (with attendant medieval approaches to the problem); a legal case/murder investigation including a trial by combat?

cjbowser

The pilgrimage to Santiago (starts a bit later, tho) or Rome; an outbreak of plague or disease (with attendant medieval approaches to the problem); a legal case/murder investigation including a trial by combat?

Coincidentally, all of these (pilgrimages, disease, and ordeals) are covered in the current manuscript.

wombat1

Coincidentally, all of these (pilgrimages, disease, and ordeals) are covered in the current manuscript.

Ooh. yes please--when will this be ready? 

bastthecatgoddess

Any further ideas? :)

Add in a couple of more chapters and a ending to Pagan Call (If you do run the whole campaign) obviously.

MikeM

Dark Ages 2nd edition is in layout and art development at this time. Maps are also being drawn.

Expect it later this year.

Pazuzu

I started a CDA game with one player, then we moved it in time to the 1st Crusade. So now his viking-turned-bodyguard is a veteran crusader with a 'holy sword', building himself a new life back in the far north (Sweden)!

bishop026

Stephane Gesbert, who wrote the original CDA, has free scenarios linked up at his webpage. I'd say that's a good 50+ hours of gaming right there. I've run a group through it. Great fun and high quality clue trails.

http://home.kpn.nl/gesbe000/

Other than that I have run a heavily modified "Here Be Dragons" which was written by Dean P. Goodwin. It's normally 2-3 hours but I made it about 20. As a result it's now a miniseries when I run it. I'm running it for the 7th time for a group online.

I have a couple of other scenarios on the back burner, including the Siege of Paris by the Norsemen and the quest to bring Brian Boru back from the dead. He was the Charlemange of Ireland, btw.

Of course the challenge is that there are so many settings that this all takes time and CoC isn't the only RPG that I play.

Bran

I am planning on running Pagan Call in about 2 weeks. The setting is my favorite for Call of Cthulhu, and I finally got a group together that is interested as well. 

I've run a group through it. Great fun and high quality clue trails.

I began a thread asking for advice, regarding both Keepers and Players and their experiences with the campaign, as well as what Keepers did for an ending. http://www.yog-sothoth.com/topic/28505-pagan-call-cthulhu-dark-ages/