sglancy12

[Kickstarter] Pagan Publishing's Horrors of War: A Covenant with Death

omnimpotent

It's running pretty late, which isn't great, but I recall the Bumps in the Night book took a while from announcement to delivery, and I was very pleased with that book.  I expect this one will be just as good.

I suspect torches and pitchforks aren't going to make anything happen faster.

Lammomedes

I'm a bit more worried about Punktown and the Chronicle City connection. I was part of the Space 1889 reboot and the German publishers had to take the ball from Chronicle City when they completely dropped it. That cluster delayed the entire process by several months until the German publishers sorted it out. I'm worried that Punktown is going to be stuck in its own development hell now that it is in the hand of Chronicle City.

As for Horrors of War, the silence is kinda deadly of late. The best way to get answers is to talk calmly and honestly with Scott Glancy at GenCon. As for the delays in Delta Green, they finally released the Beta draft of the re-titled gamester book (I think it is simply now The Delta Green RPG) and it is a 500+ pg monstrosity.

Jiminy

Speaking of Bumps, is it still available anywhere?

omnimpotent

Jiminy, I think Arkham Bazaar still lists Bumps in the Night.

hamster

As for Horrors of War, the silence is kinda deadly of late. The best way to get answers is to talk calmly and honestly with Scott Glancy at GenCon. As for the delays in Delta Green, they finally released the Beta draft of the re-titled gamester book (I think it is simply now The Delta Green RPG) and it is a 500+ pg monstrosity.

Unfortunately travelling to GenCon is out of the question (I'm in the UK), so I guess I'm going to have to depend on someone else asking the question.....

yockenthwaite

It's running pretty late, which isn't great, but I recall the Bumps in the Night book took a while from announcement to delivery, and I was very pleased with that book.  I expect this one will be just as good.

I suspect torches and pitchforks aren't going to make anything happen faster.

He kept posting updates about Bumps though, and checking in the Kickstarter history it wasn't too late on delivery.

This time looks worrying to me, and I'm speaking as a non backer, but I have been burned on Kickstarter elsewhere. Radio silence for many many months, with no updates, and ignoring backer questions (yes he is logging in to Kickstarter, as recently as the end of May) is very much a red flag issue. If I was a backer, I'd be worried.

I agree with Lammomedes re Punktown and Chronicle City though. I was a Space 1889 backer too. I suspect this may come out eventually, but I wouldn't hold your breath ...

What is it with Cthulhu and Kickstarters? Aarrgghh :)

Bishop

I get the feeling that a decision was made on what projects got priority.  Delta Green or Horrors of War?  Unforeseen events pushed Horrors behind and then Delta Green loomed on the horizon.  Everyone else involved in Delta Green were ready to go. Glancy probably had to put his own project on hold to work with the DG group as a whole to get it out.  Which is of course unfortunate for those who backed the Horrors KS.  But Delta Green will always be the bigger and more important project for Pagan Publishing.  It is their tent pole property. Everything else will take a backseat to it. But now that the Upgraded Case Officer's Handbook for DG is finally wrapping up, hopefully that means the secondary projects will get priority again.  I imagine we will finally hear something from him again soon.  It would have been nice to hear this up front then to speculate it about it later though. Communication is always the key in these kinds of situations.  There would have been the usual peeved supporters, but at least we all would have known. And I think the majority would have understood the situation, even if they weren't happy about it.

PoC

I think it's also a matter of respect.

A communication, even once a month, to backers at least lets you know you're not forgotten.

Jiminy

I think Arkham Bazaar still lists Bumps in the Night.

Thank you!

MOB

Chaosium met with Scott Glancy of Pagan Publishing at Gen Con and discussed the Horrors of War license. We have confidence Scott can deliver on this project in the revised time frame he has put forward, and that he will give backers timely updates about progress until it is done.

More details here: https://www.chaosium.com/blog/statement-about-horrors-of-war-kickstarter

PoC

Revised delivery date is by 2nd August, 2018.

crazy_cat
On 31/08/2017 at 14:08, PoC said:

Revised delivery date is by 2nd August, 2018.

Not a backer, but an interested observer - although I am a DG backer still waiting on the Case Officer book package.

On evidence to date I'd take that estimate with a very significant sized pinch of salt - and I'm not that confident I'll actually have my physical DG books by then.

To paraphrase somebody upthread - what is it with Call of Cthulhu and Kickstarter?

hamster

Not a backer, but an interested observer - although I am a DG backer still waiting on the Case Officer book package.

On evidence to date I'd take that estimate with a very significant sized pinch of salt - and I'm not that confident I'll actually have my physical DG books by then.

To paraphrase somebody upthread - what is it with Call of Cthulhu and Kickstarter?

It's interesting isn't it...

Other RPG companies & licensee's have managed to run successful Kickstarters, which even if they have run late (which most do frankly), the communications have been reasonable and finished products have been worth waiting for.

I know people joke about the "Curse of Cthulhu Kickstarters", but it almost seems like it's true...... :8E:  :shock:

PoC

Chaosium met with Scott Glancy of Pagan Publishing at Gen Con and discussed the Horrors of War license. We have confidence Scott can deliver on this project in the revised time frame he has put forward, and that he will give backers timely updates about progress until it is done.

More details here: https://www.chaosium.com/blog/statement-about-horrors-of-war-kickstarter

For those keeping tabs, ASG has four three months to complete the project and get it into backers' hands.

DadsAngry

It's also been four months since he last provided an update. Not looking good. 

willmize
On 31/08/2017 at 12:46, MOB said:

Might want to go check for a pulse on this project, Michael.

Or at least come up with a common definition of what "timely" means.

- Bill

Dr_Zarnak
On 31/08/2017 at 12:46, MOB said:

Would it be possible for you to share the revised timetable? It's proving rather difficult to prise this information from Mr. Glancy. When can we expect to get what we paid for three years ago?

MOB

Mike Mason and I have spent some time seeking to get a response from ASG. He has today advised us he's working on a backer update. We have no further information and await what he has to say with interest.

PoC

Scott has now posted a Kickstarter update (21st May 2018).

In summary:

• Not much progress to report.
  • Delays blamed on backers requesting refunds . ASG having to take on other writing projects to fill the financial hole, causing further delay.
  • Part of a draft of a Delta Green scenario offered as an apology.
  • Chaosium have dropped their original ultimatum and extended ASG's deadline until the end of the year.
  • ASG now seeking help to get Horrors of War completed for the new deadline.

MOB

Scott has now posted a Kickstarter update (21st may 2018).

• Chaosium have dropped their original ultimatum and extended ASG's deadline until the end of the year.

To be clear, we didn't give any ultimatums to Adam Scott Glancy last year. He gave us a deadline for completion (Gen Con 2018), which we mentioned in our Aug 31 statement about the Kickstarter. Unfortunately, Scott's backer update today says this is going to be missed. 

But now we have set a hard end date: we have advised that the license for Horrors of War will expire on December 31st, 2018. Permission to use our trademark, logos and all related intellectual property will be withdrawn if the Kickstarter is not fulfilled by then.

More details here: 

https://www.chaosium.com/blogupdated-statement-about-horrors-of-war-kickstarter

PoC

Thank you for the clarification. You can see the confusion, Chaosium's blog said you had confidence Scott would deliver by Gen Con 2018.

Regarding the re-revised timetable, does that mean backers can expect a print copy in their hands by the end of the year, or will simpy some form of PDF do by 31st December?

MOB

Thank you for the clarification. You can see the confusion, Chaosium's blog said you had confidence Scott would deliver by Gen Con 2018.

Regarding the re-revised timetable, does that mean backers can expect a print copy in their hands by the end of the year, or will simpy some form of PDF do by 31st December?

When they're not getting answers on the Kickstarter, backers continue to vent their anger and frustration at Chaosium, especially after seeing Scott appearing on social media and podcasts talking about other, newer, un-related RPG projects he's working on. We want this old licensed project done and out the door. By that date it will have been more than four years since the Kickstarter funded (Sept 30, 2014).