pony_tail

"At The Mountains Of Madness" - Do we dare hope?

Charlie_the_Cat_Pooka

The problem is that more or less all of the theme of the movie were hijacked by Prometheus. At least, IMHO. Ridley Scott more or less retconned the Xenomorphs into being Shoggoths and humanity to being the same weird accident as before. All of the horror and shock at discovering mankind was nothing more than a "terrible accident" kind of loses its bite this way.

Fallingtower

I just read the screenplay that you can find online.

Anyone else read it?

Nick Storm

I just read the screenplay that you can find online.

And????

Fallingtower

And????

It was interesting....

I think it should make a decent movie. It very much reminded me of Carpenter's The Thing...which is obvious, because The Thing was so heavily based on Mountains.

Quite a lot of shoggoth action...lots. Plus a surprise guest appearance by someone else!

I had some issues with the way Del Toro dealt with the shogs. But, it makes sense story-wise, but not mythos canon-wise.

Track it down...it's worth a read.

ElijahWhateley

From what I understand, that script is unlikely to be much like the final version.

Actually using the PG-13 rating may help a lot in setting AtMoM apart from Prometheus.

Fallingtower

From what I understand, that script is unlikely to be much like the final version.

Actually using the PG-13 rating may help a lot in setting AtMoM apart from Prometheus.

Just as long as there aren't sassy teens or twenty-somethings playing scientists.

I hope there is a big advertising campaign.

McDonald's Shoggoth Shakes!! 

Happy Meal toys!!

ElijahWhateley

Just as long as there aren't sassy teens or twenty-somethings playing scientists.

Danforth is a grad student, so he could very well be a twenty-something.

By the way, for anyone wanting to see if a PG-13 horror movie can work, I would recommend watching "The Haunting in Connecticut".

Fallingtower

Danforth is a grad student, so he could very well be a twenty-something.

By the way, for anyone wanting to see if a PG-13 horror movie can work, I would recommend watching "The Haunting in Connecticut".

I should have said 'vapid' twenty-something...that's what I meant. 

PG-13 can work...it should focus on terror, not gore.

And there's always the DVD Director's cut for added grue.

Beyond06

So I just got done reading the original script that was leaked onto the Internet (I will provide links to both the script and a review of said script), and I can honestly say I'm not impressed, it hardly follows the original story and complety destroys any chance of getting a "lovecraft feel" out of it. Please discuss.

*links*
http://templeofghoul.blogspot.com/2010/08/at-mountains-of-madness-script-review.html?m=1

Script
Script link removed. Believed to be illegally shared. ~Mod.
Click the link on the site to read the script.

PoC

yogsothothandcthulhu's post moved to Unshowable and merged with current topic on Del Toro's AtMoM.

ElijahWhateley

I put little trust in a random "original" script on the Internet, which I know has been around since at least 2009, resembling whatever movie might be made in five years or so.

Beyond06

Frick!!! Was my forum deleted? I have a link to the original screenplay for those of you who want to read it. I'm warning you though, it is exactly what I feared would happen. I just hope he has changed it.

I have no problem with the PG-13 rating, as it can be done, just not to the fullest extent I would take it lol. I'm thinking of writing my own version of the screenplay for the mountains of madness, I know it will most likely never be turned into a movie, but it would be a fun thing to try.
The script and or screenplay that I posted was actually what Fallingtower was suggesting.

ElijahWhateley

And, like I said, that script has been around for at least five years and can't really be verified as ever coming from Del Toro. Since Del Toro probably won't start working on the movie for another five years, if ever, even if the script is authentic I doubt that it will resemble the final film. 

Beyond06

I really hope what you say is true ElijahWhateley, I really do.

Beyond06

Watch "Del Toro Interview on "At The Mountains of Madnes…" on YouTube

Del Toro Interview on "At The Mountains of Madness… :

I guess that was the original script. Thank goodness he has changed it.

Fallingtower

I read 'that' script and I found it decent enough. But subtlety isn't one of it's strong point, very action oriented.

(whole lotta shoggoth)

It's gonna take skill to balance Hollywood and Lovecraft. Too much Hollywood is gonna spoil the Lovecraft and I fear too much Lovecraft is going to keep Hollywood from funding the film.

PoC

Frick!!! Was my forum deleted?

You didn't have a forum, you had a topic in a forum. Please read post #12 (two posts above yours).

I have a link to the original screenplay for those of you who want to read it.

Please re-read your original post (now #11 in this thread) and the red moderator text.

Beyond06

I hope they don't make Del Toro introduce a love triangle between Cthulhu, Shub-Niggurath, and Yog-Sothoth. Although that would be very interesting to watch.

Tigger_MK4

I think if they had to include romance into the story (one thing thats been said has been a problem)....and ONLY if they HAD to, I'm not advocating this on any other terms.... My suggestion would be to have Gedney be Danforths love interest...., it would make sense , add emotional drama to certain reveals, and not detract from the main story by any great amount,

But by preference I'd rather see it unchanged of course...

ElijahWhateley

On a similar note, I think the 2011 Thing prequel did a perfect job of adding a female character to an all-male Antarctic cosmic horror tale without messing with anything important.