Lisa

Eternal Lies SPOILERS GMs ONLY

Hobbo

If it's not in the Remix Prop Packet it's easy enough to find the text and make your own reference doc. Here's the text I used - I gave my players the first version, with the second given once they had successfully cast the spell. 

REFERENCE: CREATE HYPERSPACE GATE

Creates a gate joining two points through hyperspace. The caster must have seen the destination point, if only in a dream, vision, or depiction. The individual casting the spell and others may then step through this gate.

The destination need not be in the four-dimensional universe of conventional space-time; this spell allows travel to other dimensions, planes, and pocket universes, but only with a guide or guiding vision.

This spell requires some sort of drawn, painted, or chalked marks, and the speaking of a particular incantation.

REFERENCE: CREATE HYPERSPACE GATE (once used)

Creates a gate joining two points through hyperspace. The caster must have seen the destination point, if only in a dream, vision, or depiction. This spell requires some sort of drawn, painted, or chalked marks. Using an already created gate costs 1 Stability, in addition to any costs for the sights or threats at the destination.

The destination need not be in the four-dimensional universe of conventional space-time; this spell allows travel to other dimensions, planes, and pocket universes, but only with a guide or guiding vision.

Stability Test Difficulty: 5 (4 with Physics, 3 with a Physics spend)

Cost: 2 Stability or 4 Health, doubled per increment of distance (continental, global, interplanetary, interstellar, intergalactic). Interplanar gate counts as interstellar, unless at a point where the plane is tangent to Earth (where it counts as global). For each 4 Health points spent from the caster’s pool, lose 1 point from Health rating.

Time: 1 hour (10 minutes with Physics, 1 minute with a Physics spend)

chicklewis

Thanks much, Hobbo !  

Now for the next question - - it is unclear to me why Brooks would have wanted this spell on the back of his album jacket.  

Opinions?  I'm probably missing something obvious.  

Chick

Hobbo
7 hours ago, chicklewis said:

Now for the next question - - it is unclear to me why Brooks would have wanted this spell on the back of his album jacket.

So I think this is mainly driven by it being a useful thing for the investigators to find and a fun delivery system to do it with! My players loved the real life cipher. 

But he's at the head of a cult actively looking for who they believe to be Gol Goroth - it figures that they might have got in to some of the lore surrounding the Big G, including Bal Sagoth etc and would have researched a way to travel there. 

You can either play it that the liner notes are only in his personal copy, as a secret way for Brooks to keep the spell encoded, or you can interpret it that they are there with every album and he's trying to spread the word! 

Hobbo

Hi guys!

Doing some planning on my campaign. The party have got a lot of potential identities for the Liar, including the real name, but aren't sure which is the correct true name.

I expect them to work this out shortly, not least because one party member has been given the idea of shouting possible names at a Mouth site to see what it reacts to... (This could go poorly for them!!)

Their next step is likely to be trying to locate a ritual to dismiss Y'Golonac. The adventure as written suggests I give them that quite freely, but I'd like to add in a short-ish adventure to give them access to this, just to make it feel a little more hard-won. 

I'm thinking that a little Bookhounds scenario could be a good shout, not least because I have an antiquarian and ex-bookhound in the party. 

Does anyone know of any suitable, good quality Bookhound adventure, which I could adapt to my campaign, including squirrelling the ritual in a tome? 

Lisa

Sadly, there aren't a whole lot of Bookhounds material out there -- if I'm wrong, please tell me what I'm missing!

PoC
On 27/11/2018 at 19:05, Hobbo said:

Does anyone know of any suitable, good quality Bookhound adventure, which I could adapt to my campaign, including squirrelling the ritual in a tome? 

There's always a Burnt Auction, see: The Long Con, which was designed by @Karloff closely around Bookhounds... Adam also has quite a few resources on his blog, Ephemera.

A recording of the scenario is also available.

nclarke

AFAIK there's only the scenario in the Bookhounds core rules. I've not seen anything else although I did use Glyn White's Return of the Hound as the basis for a Bookhounds game.

Assuming the basic's of 'set in London' and 'involves books' you could use some of the C7 scenarios from their London set. They would work quite well. Other alternatives are things like 'The Books of Uncle Albert' relocated to the UK, GW's 'Vanishing Conjurer', material from 'Green and Pleasant Land' especially 'Death in the Post'.

Hobbo

Really helpful, thanks both! 

chicklewis

I seek additional inspiration from the clever keepers here.

My group have just reached Massawa, seeking Bartolo Acuna, and maybe George Ayers, intending to visit the dig site.  

They have visited Savannah, Los Angeles, Mexico City, and the Yucatan

They have discovered that the Liar is Ygolonac, and learned an inter-dimensional gate ritual.

They don't know the devouring mountain's name nor location, as they haven't been to Bangkok nor Malta.  

I am worried that the payoff for visiting Eritrea and finding Ayers will be pretty sparse.  

Ayers can teach them the rituals of denial, but unfortunately the nectar-addicted investigator who manifested a minor mouth did not survive the Yucatan.  

What else, please, might they be able to they be able to learn from Ertirea or Ayers ??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Chick

ATHooks

My players just found Ayers. He was extremely useful for me to plug expository holes. They missed about half of L.A., and because of their interactions with him, they are now looking to go back. I also thought he was a good means to emphasize Job. (Though I tried to be subtle about that.) I brought in some Dallolite cultists to edge up the tension a bit... it was pretty fun.

For the record, my players have not been to Mexico or Yucatán, so that may change things, relative to your game...

Lisa

He knows whatever you need them to know so that they go to wherever the next place you want them to go is. That said, they haven't done Bangkok or Malta? He never met Montgomery but he does know Savitree and Daniel. What information do you want them to have? Savitree's full name is not insignificant. What do you want to reward them for talking to Ayers before Bangkok with?

chicklewis

These are good suggestions, and give me a number of opportunities.  THANKS !

Wuxel

Hey guys,

I´m currently in the preparation stage of my Eternal Lies campaign and the After Action Report on the Alexandrian mentions a G+ community for Eternal Lies GMs. Is this still up to date and how do I join the G+ community, because I requested an invite a while ago and haven`t gotten a response yet.

Lisa
5 hours ago, Wuxel said:

... a G+ community for Eternal Lies GMs. Is this still up to date and how do I join the G+ community, because I requested an invite a while ago and haven`t gotten a response yet.

Ack! That's on me. Let me know what name you requested it under and I'll approve it. (Google's idea of where to stick various emails is... interesting, let us say.)

Wuxel
21 hours ago, Lisa said:

Ack! That's on me. Let me know what name you requested it under and I'll approve it. (Google's idea of where to stick various emails is... interesting, let us say.)

The name should be Balmung and thanks a lot!

nclarke

G+ is being shut down by Google soon (March?) so be aware that various bits of G+ seem to be getting turned off very frequently at the moment.

RogerBW

Many people seem to be using groups.io. If you want a private community, I'm happy to offer mailing lists.

Lisa
21 hours ago, Wuxel said:

The name should be Balmung and thanks a lot!

Okay, you should be set up.

Wuxel
On 11/02/2019 at 02:00, Lisa said:

Okay, you should be set up.

Yep, it´s working. Thanks again!

Ric

With Google+ now shut down as I understand it, has the GM's group archive migrated anywhere accessible please?

willmize

Per yesterday's Chaosium newsletter, they have moved the Chaosium G+ group and the Glorantha G+ group over to Tapatalk.

Here's the note:

The End of an Era on Google Plus:
Chaosium and Glorantha G+ Groups have been migrated to Tapatalk

As you may be aware, Google Plus shuts down on April 2nd, 2019. All G+ groups there including the Chaosium and Glorantha groups will be gone forever!

However, if you're a G+ user, do not despair! - we have taken advantage of Tapatalk's free migration offer, and successfully moved all content from the Chaosium G+ and the Glorantha G+ group there. Previous G+ posts are archived and available.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/chaosium

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/glorantha

Simply login in with your G+ username and password.

Hope this helps!

- Bill

Ric

I'll check Bill, thanks. This wasn't a Chaosium group though, it was specific to Eternal Lies.

Lisa

I may or may not have successfully downloaded it, as I was given Moderator status in that community (but couldn't figure out how to give it to anyone else). If I have, my plan is to wait a month or two to see if anyone contacts me to say they don't want their posts shared, and if not, and if Justin's still willing, let him host it as I'm not really sure how one does that sort of thing.

Ric

Thanks Lisa; I'll wait and see then. I was working through the posts chronologically but hadn't finished in time.

Barastaros

Hi all,

I'm starting to run 'Eternal Lies' and I have enjoyed very much your ideas and materials. Thank you very much! 

We only have had an introductory session (making characters, Arkham & the hangar) so the next session will take place in Savannah.

I'd like to comment something about a minor detail. I guess that the players could ask Currothers or Mama Henslowe about the names that appear in the graves and the photography in Henslowe's Estate and they should know them. I would like to have a coherent answer and also, it could be an opportunity to give some context about the family. 

Considering the dates in the graves, I would suggest that: 

-Grant Henslowe was Douglas' older brother. He died because of the same contagious disease than Jonas Douglas (1917).

-Mary Coleridge was Douglas' older sister. John Coleridge was her husband. They died the same year (car accident? or perhaps the same mysterious disease?)

-Zachariah and Milicent Henslowe were David's Henslowe parents, so they were Douglas' grandparents. 

-Jonas Douglas Coleridge was Douglas' nephew. 

-Mary Margaret was Grant's twin sister. Anne was Douglas' twin sister. Both of them died when they were little children (2 years- 1 year). This is a pattern, that could affect Douglas Henslow personality.

-Mildred Jones was Zachariah's sister and James Jones was her husband. 

Did you have to figure out who was who? Did you find different conclusions? 

Perhaps this family has an interesting story about its progressive decadence and it could include little bits of supernatural horror that worths to be narrated. In that case, the familiar story could help to model Douglas Henslowe's character (maybe he had an 'In the blood' drive). Do you have any ideas about this?

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now