Lisa

Eternal Lies SPOILERS GMs ONLY

nclarke

The airports zip file of props seems to be missing as it gives a No File result when trying to download it.

Lisa

Thanks! Any odds of comments on how the new run goes?

JustinAlexander

File has been fixed!

Surprisingly similar to the last run (at least in the broad strokes):

- Went to Savannah.
- Actually chased the Bangkok cultists out of Savannah (this was new), but gave up when they took a pond-jumper to Europe.

- Went to LA.

- Bailed on LA "early" to pursue leads to Ethiopia. (Key difference is first group deliberately bailed because it was too tough; second group somehow concluded they'd learned everything there was to learn without really scratching the main cult.)
- Prioritized Axum over Dallol.
- Are now on their way to Dallol.

There's been a long delay because one of the players left the group to take a job in a different country; and that delayed things until another player had to take a sabbatical to study for the bar exam. But I'm hoping things are getting back on track now.

Perhaps the most interesting detour, though, was in LA where they made a point of tracking down the hotel where the 1924 investigators made their reservations. They were willing to spend a bunch of points to make it happen, eventually putting them in touch with the house detective and getting their hands on undeveloped rolls of film that had been lost in the hotel's Lost and Found room. This mostly duplicated clues they could have picked up elsewhere, but they've ended up sending a telegram to the house detective and asking him to investigate Jack PIzner (who had harassed them while they were on their way to the airport) while they're out of town.

I'll be interested to see how that plays out.

Lisa

Fascinating. What is the house detective likely to learn, and is he going to get flipped or suffer a Horrible Fate?

JustinAlexander

They hadn't actually identified who Jack Pizner was, so Larry Tuten (the detective) was hired to figure that out. Tuten did so and sent them the information via telegram.

Not sure if they'll return to LA and pull on that thread after Ethiopia or not.

At the moment, they've decided they need to pursue the members of the Guardians who were drafted into the Ethiopian army. It's December 1935, though, so they'd be walking directly into a warzone between Italy and Ethiopia at Walwal. They might still get sidetracked to Ayers and then decide they don't need to do that after all; but I'm currently low-key brainstorming ideas for what a scenario down at Walwal might look like.

Lisa

Wow. Me, I'd be all boring and probably have the relevant folks already be dead so I didn't have to make up more stuff about their lore. I'd probably also tell the players this was likely the case as someone would have the relevant Investigation skill. I'm looking forward to learning what more interesting things can be done with this.

JustinAlexander

So one of the things I did in the remix (a least I'm pretty sure this is something I made up for the remix) was to split the Guardians up into three factions, each of which was charged with protecting one piece of powerful lore:

- The Spell to Open the Sky
- The volcano spell
- The Rituals of Self-Denial

The idea being that the Guardians of the first group would still be around (to give an additional angle for getting that spell). The other two would have been scooped up for the war effort to either (a) keep the volcano spell out of PC hands or (B) preserve the big reward for ultimately tracking down Ayers. (Otherwise I considered it quite likely that the PCs could get on friendly terms with the Guardians and then there was no logical reason the Guardians wouldn't share the rituals of self-denial with them as they had with Ayers.)

The intention was very much "they're at war, so they're not available". The first group followed that logic as anticipated and said, "Never mind." This group is a bit more persistent in their desire to get their hands on these rites (and any other pertinent knowledge these other groups of Guardians might have). I was initially thinking that, yeah, the volcano group would be wiped out during the Walwal fight, but, sure, they'll be able to get their hands on the Rituals of Self-Denial with this extra bit of effort, because why not?

But recently I've been thinking about summoning a volcano on top of Mt. Kailash and I'm thinking that might not be such a bad idea. (It's not like they can reasonably use the volcano anywhere else in the campaign; I'd make it a time-consuming ritual and it's not like they're going to willingly blow up the middle of a city... presumably.)

Lisa

You've... met PCs, right?

Actually, different question: Can they summon a volcano ex nihilo? Or can they make a pre-existing volcano erupt?