Synchronicity

Cthulhu Dark Ages query - 2nd edition?

neorxnawang

Oh man, Chad, that sucks. You were on the karaoke invite list. Lemme guess, North Carolina...raccoon? Feel better.

cjbowser

Oh man, Chad, that sucks. You were on the karaoke invite list. Lemme guess, North Carolina...raccoon? Feel better.

Thanks, Jeff. I wish it was a raccoon. They're easy to identify when sick. This was bats.

Eddy

This seems great, I love this era. I own the first edition of Dark Ages but have never ran anything from it, the Pagan Call campaign is brilliant although unfinished. My main concern is that its for 7th edition which I'm still unsure of because its not released yet.

Boris

Chad, hope you're ok after the bite (bat! There's a story there....)

The intro looks good. Just wondering if there is any 'non Europe' background in the book? Oh, and as a big 7e fan I'm glad to see this being " updated".

cjbowser

The core book has a little bit of information on areas outside the occident, but not a lot. The decision was made to focus on one area and provide depth as opposed to scattershotting across the world. That being said, all of the background information from the first edition book is still there. It's just been augmented and fleshed out and applies to the occident as a whole. After that, the book goes into detail about what life was like during Anglo-Saxon England at that time. Then, we dive into greater detail by creating an Anglo-Saxon burh similar in style to what's presented in Arkham Unveiled, Kingsport, etc.

I would have like including information of the same depth on places like the Caliphate (including the Bayt al-Hikma), but I decided if I didn't have the space to go into the depth I wanted, it could wait for a regional setting book. 

citybumpkin

I recall last fall, after GenCon, Cthulhu Dark Ages 2nd edition made a brief appearance. YSDC reported it, and I saw it on Chaosium's web site for a while.

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/articles.html/_/main/cthulhu-dark-ages-2nd-edition

The page has since disappeared off Chaosium's web sites, and my local game store says it's still not available. There is no PDF version for sale that I could find, and online retailers have it listed as "pre-order"

Sorry if I missed something, but looking around I haven't found any information on what happened. But it seems like Dark Ages 2nd edition went from released to "un-released." Can anyone fill me in?

EDIT: I see there's some discussion in the comments after the link that indicates what was for sale was some kind of pre-release version. But if anyone has more info I would appreciate it.

PoC

Threads merged.

I have no additional information about this. However if I were to speculate, it would simply be that items that were on their way into publication were put on hold while the new Chaosium management sort out the mess they've inherited. I suspect we may not see much movement on new Chaosium CoC products until the print version of Call of Cthulhu 7th edition starts getting into people hands.

cjbowser

I recall last fall, after GenCon, Cthulhu Dark Ages 2nd edition made a brief appearance. YSDC reported it, and I saw it on Chaosium's web site for a while.

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/articles.html/_/main/cthulhu-dark-ages-2nd-edition

The page has since disappeared off Chaosium's web sites, and my local game store says it's still not available. There is no PDF version for sale that I could find, and online retailers have it listed as "pre-order"

Sorry if I missed something, but looking around I haven't found any information on what happened. But it seems like Dark Ages 2nd edition went from released to "un-released." Can anyone fill me in?

EDIT: I see there's some discussion in the comments after the link that indicates what was for sale was some kind of pre-release version. But if anyone has more info I would appreciate it.

The copy available at GenCon was an ashcan version. Only ~250 were POD. The reason it's no longer on the site is that Chaosium uses their catalog as their product listing. If something sells out, it disappears until more are in stock or listed for pre-order.

It's in the process of getting new art and layout. There was also talk of reorg, but nobody has told me how it's getting reorged.

As of this time, there is no release date.

If you have any questions about the content, I'll do my best to answer them.

JeffErwin

The copy available at GenCon was an ashcan version. Only ~250 were POD. The reason it's no longer on the site is that Chaosium uses their catalog as their product listing. If something sells out, it disappears until more are in stock or listed for pre-order.

It's in the process of getting new art and layout. There was also talk of reorg, but nobody has told me how it's getting reorged.

As of this time, there is no release date.

If you have any questions about the content, I'll do my best to answer them.

Huh, I have a copy. It's a bit of a departure from the original, but a decent supplement. I was mining it for stuff for my early modern game. It looks like I have a collector's item...