ZeroMostel

Why would you want to contact a Yithian?

ZeroMostel

I have a friend in a game I am not in who is jazzed because he just found the spell, Contact Yithian. He wants me to do the spell circle for it for a hamburger dinner.

My Question is; WHY on earth would you even want to contact a Yithian?

GBSteve

They have knowledge of the future. You could make a killing on sports bets. Also they have knowledge of the past and where it is buried. So good for treasure hunting.

banshee

Perhaps they know how to deal with the Hounds of Tindalos?

Or their knowledge about spacetime, consciousness or some other subject is wanted? They're probably 'safer' to contact for information than Yog-Sothoth or Nyarlathotep  ;)

Mytholder

You don't remember, but you were the host to a Yithian intelligence. You spent centuries in one of their cone-shaped bodies. You can't admit it to yourself, but this human form now feels entirely alien to you; you can never be at home in your own skin again. You're instinctively looking for a way to escape this absurd, random splatter of jointed limbs and fragile organs, so you can return to the geometric perfection of that beautiful cone, with its elegant, flexible tentacles and sensible arrangement of sense-organs. 

ElijahWhateley

They can give you all sorts of advanced science and technology. They can change the past and the future. They can change your past and your future, if you can actually offer them something they want (there's an example from Future/Perfect of a Yithian agent who the Yithians recruit by changing her life so she winds up a wealthy PhD instead of a homeless beggar, and making sure she remembers both). They know most of the secrets of space and time. They have something of a human conspiracy working for them, and another working against them. They're some of the least malevolent creatures in the Mythos. At least some of them have even spent great lengths of time studying humanity and talking to/working with live humans, with no goal other than knowledge, so it might actually be possible to carry on a conversation with one without going crazy or being eaten.

And, yeah, somehow they figured out how to not have problems with Hounds of Tindalos. And if you need a solution for Hounds, then you really need it.

Nick Storm

I have a friend in a game I am not in who is jazzed because he just found the spell, Contact Yithian. He wants me to do the spell circle for it for a hamburger dinner.

You haven't read this,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadow_Out_of_Time, have you ? 

Corum89

Best Reason:   Free Hamburger Dinner.

Fallingtower

Well something a lot of folks don't know, is that Yithians give the best foot massages in the galaxy.

And they love doing them...unlike somebody's girlfriend...not pointing any claws at anyone. (Fallingtower has aching feet)

ZeroMostel

Contact Yithian

Got the Circle Done and posted. Let me know what you think. Just follow the link.

Nick Storm

Your circles /artwork, while interesting, seem to be a mish-mash of images vaguely related to the specific subject or entity. They just don't seem that well thought out or unique.

Additionally, I recognize a lot of fonts as proprietary to other artists, and cannot believe you haven't received at least one 'cease and desist letter' to date.

http://zero-mostel.deviantart.com/art/Demonic-circle-151302834

https://www.google.com/search?q=tsolyani+font&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-ur6UrrkBMjr0QG3hYCgBA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=655#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=tb05JcGxvYDxqM%253A%3BsPiAagpvu1qApM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ffont.downloadatoz.com%252Fdownload%252Fimgs%252Ft%252Fs%252Fo%252Ftsolyani-modern-lower.png%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ffont.downloadatoz.com%252Ffont%252C58728%252Ctsolyani-modern.html%3B650%3B300

fox01313

I think that the agents that might help them out are for the one reason of just lost knowledge of the past or secrets of the possible future. As the future is rather flexible it might be hard to tell what timeline certain actions go to but if after occult secrets, the past is the best way to get some of that with the Yithian's help.

ZeroMostel

Your circles /artwork, while interesting, seem to be a mish-mash of images vaguely related to the specific subject or entity. They just don't seem that well thought out or unique.

Additionally, I recognize a lot of fonts as proprietary to other artists, and cannot believe you haven't received at least one 'cease and desist letter' to date.

Thank you for your candor.  :-D  This is the first Negative feedback I have gotten In all this time. People have been usually over awed or just weirded out. I'll try harder on the next few. BY the way, if you can do better, please do so! I'd love to see it.

As for the fonts, All the fonts I have found have been free off the web, Free for personal use. If I use something from someone else that is copy-written I normally credit them. Anyway. If I get a cease and desist order on any of my stuff I'll take it down. But so far all I have been getting is are cries of "MORE! MORE!"

:8E:

WinstonP

I'd assume the Pnakotic Pentagram would be involved.

ZeroMostel

I'd assume the Pnakotic Pentagram would be involved.

It is. I included it on The Caster side of the circle.

fox01313

Of course there is the flip side to this, you could have the players run across someone or some animal that's far too intelligent naturally which turns out to be a mental prison of a yithian or someone that they did the mind transfer to & found that they were too much a danger to the rest of them. Then it might be quite interesting for anyone nearby with this person/animal who might be a threat with other mental abilities (like the animal spells as a supernatural ability).

Wembley

It rather depends on the Yithian - might be a lathe-operator, an airship engineer or a social worker. The time travel crew must be a tiny minority.

cwyllog

perhaps he had a colonoscopy recently and feels he needs advice on the best way to deal with polyps?

ElijahWhateley

The time travel crew must be a tiny minority.

One would hope they're the ones reached by a contact spell; at the very least the "closest" Yithian would be a time-traveler in the present (of when the spell is cast) rather than one a few million years back.

Beyond13

I've always been at least a little bit sympathetic to the Yithians.  They are one of the few mythos races that is not needless cruel, nor do they revel in vile acts, nor are they enslaved to some horrid being.  For a mythos race, they are remarkably sane and durable.  They have managed to maintain a rational science and a society.  Sure they are jaded to the point of insensitivity at times, but they are trapped in a nightmare universe and they know it, and they can't win, but they are doing the best they can despite it all.  Humanity will not do nearly as well as the Yithians.  I imagine the cones whose society and minds they stole might feel a bit differently, but compared to other mythos races they are positively benevolent toward humanity and even seem to feel some pity or sympathy toward the lesser race.

ZeroMostel

I've always been at least a little bit sympathetic to the Yithians.  They are one of the few mythos races that is not needless cruel, nor do they revel in vile acts, nor are they enslaved to some horrid being.  For a mythos race, they are remarkably sane and durable.  They have managed to maintain a rational science and a society.  Sure they are jaded to the point of insensitivity at times, but they are trapped in a nightmare universe and they know it, and they can't win, but they are doing the best they can despite it all.  Humanity will not do nearly as well as the Yithians.  I imagine the cones whose society and minds they stole might feel a bit differently, but compared to other mythos races they are positively benevolent toward humanity and even seem to feel some pity or sympathy toward the lesser race.

I dunno. Maybe they think they can either outlast the insanity or out race it, move elsewhere more sane.

As for Humans, the Jury is still out. Personally I think the GOOs are scared s**tless of us.

The_Tatterdemalion_King

I've always been at least a little bit sympathetic to the Yithians.  They are one of the few mythos races that is not needless cruel,

Except for the whole, you know, abducting and ruining lives thing.

ZeroMostel

Except for the whole, you know, abducting and ruining lives thing.

Are you sure? That could be maybe just 1% of 1%. Most could have no idea they were taken.

"Jake? You Sober now?"

"I was Drunk?"

The_Tatterdemalion_King

That's even worse. 

Travern

The Yithians, though not as cruel as Moon-beasts or as manipulative as the Mi-go, are Lovecraft's most subtly malign aliens in their absolute indifference to any mental suffering caused by their temporal interference.  An overnight case of Yithian mind-kidnapping would be worrisome enough for someone to deal with as a complete black-out.  To judge from TSOOT, Yithians prefer to take control of their victims' bodies for long stretches of time, up to years.  Their victims, when and if they're restored to their own bodies/times, must cope with the aftereffects of amnesia and lost time, possibly even dysmophia from having occupied alien anatomy for too long.

But to get back to the original question of why one would contact an atemporal body-swapping alien intelligence, it might be fun to imply that the PC has in fact been manipulated into this.  Let's imagine Ythian agents want to establish continuity in their operations that lasts longer than a single human lifespan.  Going from grandparent to parent to grandchild would require them to prepare a lot of groundwork beforehand.  This could be something overt, like a family legacy or tradition, or subtler machinations, such as planting ideas in future targets during childhood.  Perhaps the PC has a lifelong fascination with the Permian period, ever since they received an anonymous birthday gift of a book on palaeontology as a kid.  The PC would be ecstatic when presented with the prospect of travelling back in time to this era, never realizing the idea did not occur naturally.