PoC

2nd YSDC Games Day, 22nd March 2014 [UK]

Fallingtower

I'm just interested. It's been more than a few years since I went to a game con. Even if it's just a wee one.

Azimuth

YSDC gets a mention in the latest Crescent City update - exciting! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/goldengoblinpress/tales-of-the-crescent-city-from-golden-goblin-pres/posts/783398

We’re pushing hard to have one scenario completely ready, with maps and handouts, by the end of this week so it can be run this weekend by Finlay Patterson for the YSDC game day.

PoC

Should be fun. :-)

I've just sent out a final email (to those on the ticket list). Look forward to seeing people on Saturday!

RogerBW

Just got home; a great time was had! Thanks again to PoC and the crew; all right, just like last year I spent more time driving than I did gaming, but it was still fun!

MikeM

great day - thanks!

Azimuth

I had a great time once again - thanks to PoC and the gang for organising it; thanks to Helen for keeping us supplied with tasty comestibles, and to Marty for bringing the wonderful Necronomicake. Fin's scenario, 'Bloodlines', was both memorable and morally ambiguous - great work from Golden Goblin and Fin to get it ready and playable in time.

Really enjoyed meeting old friends and new - here's hoping for a third incarnation!

griffin

I had a fantastic time! 😊 thanks YSDC for organising. Helen's food and drink was great and meant i could get into character with a coffee. Val had obviously put in a lot of work for her game set in the Big Easy. That was a lot of fun and we didn't all die, so yay! Apologies though to Val for getting distracted on the plot when the masks were handed out to decorate. I was def having a bit of a blue peter moment at that point ☺ï¸. It was great to put some names to faces as well. Roll on the next one!

Gol-Goroth

I had a great time once again - thanks to PoC and the gang for organising it; thanks to Helen for keeping us supplied with tasty comestibles, and to Marty for bringing the wonderful Necronomicake. Fin's scenario, 'Bloodlines', was both memorable and morally ambiguous - great work from Golden Goblin and Fin to get it ready and playable in time.

Really enjoyed meeting old friends and new - here's hoping for a third incarnation!

Memorable and morally ambiguous...  What a great compliment!  I'm glad we were able to pull it together and get Finn the material in time.  My staff dropped everything last week to get that ready (it was something we needed to do anyway).  

Azimuth

Val had obviously put in a lot of work for her game set in the Big Easy. That was a lot of fun and we didn't all die, so yay! Apologies though to Val for getting distracted on the plot when the masks were handed out to decorate. I was def having a bit of a blue peter moment at that point ☺ï¸. It was great to put some names to faces as well. Roll on the next one!

The masks looked like a lot of fun - and prompted this exchange between Jack and myself:

Jack (having just been driven hopelessly mad by a Colour out of Space): Why are they wearing masks?

Me: *deadpan* What masks?

Memorable and morally ambiguous...  What a great compliment!  I'm glad we were able to pull it together and get Finn the material in time.  My staff dropped everything last week to get that ready (it was something we needed to do anyway).  

I thought the scenario worked really nicely; I loved the artwork, the handouts added a lot of flavour, it felt like a proper investigation, and I get the feeling that it could act as a great springboard for further adventures, given the unusual alliances our characters chose to make.

I was also fortunate enough to be in a group with some great players, so thanks to all of them, too - I think MikeM's wonderfully brusque, efficient German character could have talked his way out of most tricky situations :)

BigJackBrass

One successful YSDC Games Day could have been a fluke, but two in a row can only be deliberate!

A hugely enjoyable weekend all round. Eldritch horrors, game Russian accents, confusing chutney, magnificent muffins and the Blue Peter table: what other convention can offer all that?  :-D

onewild

Thanks for orangising a great day and thank you for Fin for running a great game. I echo the statement that Bloodlines was morally ambiguous and I really liked that aspect. Thank you to Val for the lift back to the hotel as well. Man I was so stuffed after that meal that drinking the dark ale was not a good idea.

PoC

Had a great time, thanks to everyone who attended (and those who ran games) and thank you to Chaosium being an event sponsor!

Here are a few photos (more to follow I suspect).

YSDC Games Day 2 - Cakes

A few of the comestibles available.

YSDC Games Day 2 - MTS-Kh37

Getting my stuff together to run Machine Tractor Station - Kharkov 37.

YSDC Games Day 2 - Chris's Game

Chris and some of his group.

YSDC Games Day 2 - Friends

Jon (BigJackBrass), Fin, Patrik (Paddurz) and Mike (MikeM).

YSDC Games Day 2 - Steve's Game

Steve (TheScientist) running his Gingerbread Lovechild (Savage Worlds system) game.

YSDC Games Day 2 - Val's Game

Val and Mardis Gras.

YSDC Games Day 2 - Val's Game Masks

The masks of Mardis Gras!

Hagen

Yay for Bloodlines! Yay!

BenJoss

Quick note from me to say thanks so much for the great day on Saturday,  In particular to Paul and Helen for organising the day, the catering and a great meal afterwards. :mrgreen:

Great game from Chris, looking forward to running it myself in the future.

Pleasure to make new acquaintances and was made to feel very welcome.

Hope to see some of you at the UK Games Expo and if not then hopefully at the next games day!

Ben

Slartibartfast

*Waits with twiddling thumbs for the audio so as to gleam some of the joy of this spectacle*

RogerBW

"But were these counter-revolutionary cows?"

TheScientist

Was great to have the opportunity to run a game for a few people outside my current gaming group (who I love dearly, just in case any of them are reading this  ;-) ).  I think our expedition to Africa, though pressed was a good game, despite it being run with the "unloved ginger-haired half breed system", Realms of Cthulhu.  

Thank you to my players, who helped suspend the disbelief, and my apologies for killing two of them in the last encounter,  In my defence they did pick the two non-combat characters from the selection available.  

So September eh?  Hmmm. . . I suppose that gives me a few months to get my head fully round Gumshoe to run ToC, or maybe I can come up with something nice to run with tremulus next time. . .  :-)

Paddurz

Many thanks to Paul and Helen for organising the delightful event, and thanks to all the Keepers; Chris, Paul, Steve, Fin and Val for their hard work. Special praise to Helen for the Sanity-Roll service and other delicious cakes and beverages.

For me personally it was a highly pleasurable event, starting already on Friday evening with the pre-game meet at The Boat Inn in Saltaire. The Game Day can only be described as an unbridled success. The name tags with both name and username turned out to be very effective, would have been useful also at the pre-game meet as it took far too long for me to recognise Nick as lordof1!

The post-game dinner was great, really good food and a great opportunity to talk more to the participants and get their views and opinions about the day, the games and everything else rpg- and cthulhu-related. Only drawback was that the food was too good so I ate more than I should have, this in combo with a couple of pints in the post-game beers at Fanny's Ale House, proved to be the proverbial nail in the coffin and I was almost overcome with sleep. This necessitated an early retirement, sad to leave game day members to fend for themselves.

So what can be improved? Since everything went so well there are no negative things to correct. But I have some minor ideas that I think would be nice on a future game day.

1. Group photo of each gaming group with the GM, with the names of the players.

2. Group photo of all the participants, including the organisers.

I love the whole concept of these game days, have not found anything like it anywhere else.

I'll see you on the next game day, which looks to be even more amazing!

BigJackBrass

Those Mardi Gras masks were absolutely terrifying. It was like suddenly realising you were in the same room as half a dozen of Mr Noseybonk's immediate family.

dougwinter

Thanks everyone for a great event.  I had a really good time, and it's really nice to play with a different group.

Looking forward to the next one.

Doug.

PoC

A few more photos as promised (this time from Helen).

YSDC Games Day 2 - Val's New Orleans Game

Spot the French Cthulhu by Gaslight screen...

YSDC Games Day 2 - Mask Making

Craft activities - a central part of any Call of Cthulhu game.

YSDC Games Day 2 - Steve's Game

A short break during Steve's game.

YSDC Games Day 2 - MTS-Kh37

Nick & I deep in thought with Machine Tractor Station Kharkov 37.