Jon Hodgson

Cubicle 7's Cthulhu Britannica London Boxed Set

Jon Hodgson

The Pearly King in Yellow pledge level does indeed give you physical copies of *everything* we unlock, be they add ons or expansions for the boxed set. This includes things we haven't mentioned yet.

The only things you don't get at Pearly King level are the pre-existing Cthulhu Britannica books, your likeness as an NPC, or the personal one off adventure.

You do get physical and PDF copies of everything else.

MonkeyPrime

There was more chat about this when ponys were involved! Just saying like! Do i need to invoke Sandy again?

Jon Hodgson
We broke £50,000 overnight, racing through the stretch goal for a postcard from Green & Pleasant Land (amongst a host of other legendary products) contributor Marc Gascoigne!  A postcard from Eddy Webb is in sight, and not far behind that the physical boxed set of postcards unlocks.  The Postcard Boxed Set will be a beautiful artefact - a set of period style postcards, each containing a seed for London Call of Cthulhu adventures, in a sturdy box from a veritable who's who of rpg writers.  It's exclusive to the Kickstarter.  

We're at the halfway mark now, and it's really exciting to see just how far this one will go!

In other other news, Neve has reported in from London in a new postcard.

You can catch up with Neve's story so far on the C7 website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/cthulhu-britannica-london-boxed-set/

And lastly here's that all important link to the Kickstarter itself: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461807648/cthulhu-britannica-london-call-of-cthulhu-rpg-boxe

SJE

This is really useful, yoggies. Much appreciated.

Your comments have been noted and we're going to go with 6E with a 7E conversion guide penned by 7E luminaries Paul Fricker and Scott Dorward.

Thanks again!

FYI, Dominic McDowell of C7 has announced they are going another way- in the Comments thread of the Kickstarter he said:

"Cthulhu Britannica: London will be statted for 7th edition, with conversion information and (where appropriate) sidebars so that it remains fully compatible with 6th edition."  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461807648/cthulhu-britannica-london-call-of-cthulhu-rpg-boxe/comments?cursor=5269926#comment-5269925

Dreadwatcher

FYI, Dominic McDowell of C7 has announced they are going another way- in the Comments thread of the Kickstarter he said:

"Cthulhu Britannica: London will be statted for 7th edition, with conversion information and (where appropriate) sidebars so that it remains fully compatible with 6th edition."  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461807648/cthulhu-britannica-london-call-of-cthulhu-rpg-boxe/comments?cursor=5269926#comment-5269925

Excellent idea this way the box set is off the starting block with the most recent edition of the rule set, I was hoping for this. 

paladin2769

I just read over at the kickstarter page that the project will not be written for 6th edition, as we were told here recently (after taking our response to the online poll).  I'm really disappointed over the switcheroo especially after the kickstarter started.  This is probably a dealbreaker for me (and a PKIY backer too).

MonkeyPrime

To be honest I think it makes sense, 7th edition is going to be the standard and if you want to future proof your product why wouldn't you bring it out in the most recent edition? Saves on bringing out a second edition of the box set. From what I've picked the conversion down to 6th is straightforward so it shouldn't be too hard?

paladin2769

The point is that this was announced as a 6th edition project (after taking a poll at this forum) and that was why I chose to back it (as PKIY).  The switch to 7e AFTER the kickstarter was launched, not to mention that the kickstarter didn't address the change to 7e until after someone asked specifically which edition was being used is my problem.

I playtested 7e and while I backed that Kickstarter, frankly, I prefer 6th edition and so does my group.  I wouldn't have backed the London box set if it was announced at the beginning that it was 7e.  I'm really disappointed over this and will more than likely drop my backing over this.

MonkeyPrime

Well fair enough then, it's your right as a backer and consumer to do so, I'm of the opinion that it's ok and 6 or 7 matters not, bring on the weirdness in London! I though I was getting a Call of Cthulhu sourcebook and I'm getting one, so I'm happy enough. If you really don't like the version then you don't like it, and you're best not getting a book in that system. In the other thread of this they said there was 6th edition sidebar conversions if that helps?

If not then yeah pull out now and buy a pony, it's what I would do!

SJE

By all means drop out of PKIY if its an absolute deal breaker, but given how coveted the 100 PKIY spots are, you might want to hold on till near the end of the Kickstarter just in case they add something additional as a stretch goal that you really love.

Personally I prefer 7e to 6th, but its not a huge dealbreaker either way to me, as I'm using 6th Ed Masks with the 7e QSR and the players are still having a whale of a time.  Also a straw poll of a few dozen Yoggies isnt a basis to base commercial decisions on - that sample size is far too small.

paladin2769

It's the principle that they switched midstream and even without even making a formal announcement in the Updates (it was only addressed after another backer asked which edition they were using in Comments and then they updated the FAQ).

The 6e sidebar is all well and good, and quite mandatory as there may be others who don't pick up 7e next spring and won't have access to the conversion notes in that book.

paladin2769

Also a straw poll of a few dozen Yoggies isnt a basis to base commercial decisions on - that sample size is far too small.

I understand your comment about the poll, but they said that they were going with 6th edition after the poll was taken here.  And the choice of edition was not addressed at all in the kickstarter until another backer inquired there.  The fact that Cubicle 7 people said 6th edtion (albeit here) led me to back the project in the first place.  If they were even pondering over which edition to use, then it should have been stated in the official Kickstarter.

MonkeyPrime

Actually its not manadatory, if a new system is implemented they are under no obligation to support older ones. Chaosium want you to buy 7th edition, they want you to leave 6th behind. Cubicle 7 need to appeal to the market and future markets, they keep older fans happy with 6th edition stats but that means nothing to a book that they want to be selling 4 or 5 years on. If they chose to support both its because they are being nice. 

For example DnD, when they bring out a new system they reprint old stories and adventures in their new system, as they want you to shell out. Its how they continue to make money off these things.

I'm not knocking your reasons for calling it quits, I understand if its not what you signed up for but be under no illusion that they owe 6th edition fans anything. If you feel they were being duplicitous in how they advertised then you should split. I'm just saying they don't have to support 6th edition  

Jon Hodgson

Dom's reply from the Kickstarter is probably the best response I can post on this topic:

I'm sorry that you feel that way - maintaining compatibility is important to us, and the differences for a product of this type will be minimal in any case. I don't think 6th edition fans are losing anything here, it's more about expanding the usefulness of the set and giving it longevity.

I've been talking to Chaosium for a while about the project and the best way to present stats etc so that you can play with your favourite rule set of any edition - I can't remember the exact date when I agreed the current format, but Stuart was reporting what he thought to be the case at the time. It can be hard for remote multi-person project teams to stay 100% in lock-step for communications (especially when we're all so excited about the project) and I'm sorry that in this case that incorrect information has led to disappointment.

The last thing we would want to do is a bait and switch - but I really do think this is actually a 'Yes, plus more!' result.

I'll see if we can add in some bookmarks that convert 6e - 7e characteristics if that would be useful for people (I don't want to make the conversion sound more complicated than it is, but I would personally appreciate a multiply/divide by 5 grid after my games night usual of a pizza and a tube and a half of pringles).

SJE

I understand your comment about the poll, but they said that they were going with 6th edition after the poll was taken here.  And the choice of edition was not addressed at all in the kickstarter until another backer inquired there.  The fact that Cubicle 7 people said 6th edtion (albeit here) led me to back the project in the first place.  If they were even pondering over which edition to use, then it should have been stated in the official Kickstarter.

I was the Kickstarter backer (SJE=Steve Ellis) thats been on at them to talk about which edition they were using in the Kickstarter description. The reason was that whatever edition they used, they'd lose some die hard loyalists. But I wanted that to be out in the open so people could make an educated investment, and if it was dealbreaker, a chance to walk away without spending any money.

Tigger_MK4

I think you're right to be irritated but ....I think rejecting the product merely because its 7th edition would be a mistake

While the game mechanics have changed some between 6th and 7th, the game *statistics* as laid out in a supplement will have barely changed at all.

However, i can certainly understand your disappointment, as changing the edition after starting the kickstarter strikes me as a bit of a misstep.

What I would suggest is perhaps taking a deep breath and moment to consider : do you personally really think that using a 7th edition stat block means the product is no longer likely to be of use to you ? Or are you dropping out as a protest?

if it is the latter, i'd suggest taking a deep breath and giving it a day or so before finally deciding. The thing is, if you drop out the only person potentially losing out is you and your group. The supplement will hardly be forcing you to use 7th.

(I personally intend to use a mixture of 7th and 6th edition rules in the next campaign I run)

Unlike with D&D , the edition of the product isnt going to prevent you from using your prefered edition of the rules.....

They're similar enough I find I can convert on the fly with no issues at all.

Its your decision of course...but to reiterate, I'd suggest buying/not buying into this particular kickstarter based on the CoC edition, or as a protest, would be a mistake... But hey, you pays your money (or not), you takes your choice.

paladin2769

I realize that neither Chaosium nor Cubicle 7 have to support 6th edition.  I meant to say that the 6e sidebars would be essential , not "mandatory".  Cubicle 7 is not obligated to include them at all.  In light of 7e including conversion notes for prior editions, they are employing good will.   

I also understand the business reasons for Cubicle 7 going with 7e.  It's the way that the change happened in light of what I said earlier that bothers me.

And thank you, for understanding my point of view, MonkeyPrime.

Likewise, thanks to Tigger for his comments.  I promise to reflect on my decision rather than do so impulsively.  :)

paladin2769

I was the Kickstarter backer (SJE=Steve Ellis) thats been on at them to talk about which edition they were using in the Kickstarter description. The reason was that whatever edition they used, they'd lose some die hard loyalists. But I wanted that to be out in the open so people could make an educated investment, and if it was dealbreaker, a chance to walk away without spending any money.

Thanks, Steve.  It had to be mentioned sooner or later.  Would have been a lot worse if it was after the Kickstarter closed and it was too late to cancel the pledge.  However, they shouldn't have needed prodding by a backer to bring it up in the first place.  I could kick myself for not asking it myself the day it launched and avoiding this dilemma in this first place. 

StuartB

Let me take a moment to apologise for any and all confusion regarding this point.

It is clear that I should have posted an update noting the change prior to the Kickstarter launch. For personal reasons, I have not been as active on this forum or any other as I would have liked. The questions posed on this forum were done so with the best intentions. Of that I can assure you. Apologies again.

Afraid of the dark

I'm still using 2nd Edition, so not really an issue for me!

Beyond01

I think the sad thing is that 7e is supposed to be backwards compatable, and by extension 3rd party publishers shouldn't be having to make decisions about which edition to support. Nor should fans be put in that position.

paladin2769

It's backwards compatible but with some effort.  Personally, I want to see a step by step example of converting a character from 6th ed to 7e (and vice versa).  Like how we are shown how to make Harvey Walters in the rules.

The playtest rules didn't elaborate as much as I would have preferred. The situation of skills being swapped or removed came up in my group (especially the combat skills being revised along with the combat system).  

I imagine that seeing the stats for an npc or creature in both editions in a particular book (like in the London box set) will help people (and me) with said conversions in my own adventures.  But like I said, I would like the steps involved in doing the conversion on the printed page.  At least for revising an npc and creature.  I wasn't thrilled with how to change a player character either for that matter.

Shrike

I can't imagine why anyone would think the value of this project is materially affected by its choice of ruleset. Surely the lion's share of value of this boxed set is tied up with the quantity of source material, handouts and maps, and scenarios as listed in the Kickstarter?

The calculations change if 7E is not easily backwards compatible with 6E, as has been repeatedly promised; but I have no real reason to worry about Chaosium screwing that up ... 

red_bus

Actually its not manadatory, if a new system is implemented they are under no obligation to support older ones. Chaosium want you to buy 7th edition, they want you to leave 6th behind. Cubicle 7 need to appeal to the market and future markets, they keep older fans happy with 6th edition stats but that means nothing to a book that they want to be selling 4 or 5 years on. If they chose to support both its because they are being nice. 

Those sound like good commercial reasons. Speaking as an "old fan" I will be passing on this kickstarter too as it is now for 7th Ed. (shame it looks lovely).

Not too worried though - I am sure I can pick up enough old 6th Ed. stuff on ebay to last me for a decade :)

PoC

The postcard set looks really nice. Something a little different.

cb-london-postcard-set.jpg