TheKingInYellow

More Incidents Involving Samurai Swords

Mr_Lin

Presumably one of the famous Manchester ninjas.

Or maybe the Tcho-Tchos are muscling in on the Manc drug scene?

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Sword attack accused called himself 'chosen one', court told

01 March 2005

The former wife of a man accused of a samurai sword attack on two women today told of how he would refer to himself as "the Chosen One".

Wendy Ross said in the High Court at Auckland that Antonie Ronnie Dixon would speak about being connected to another source.

"There's a sentence he used quite frequently - I can't recall the full sentence - where 'I'm the One, the Chosen One, the Almighty'," she said.

"It was just too heavy for me and I had to be very careful about the way I left his presence or left the room because it was full-on and very forceful. It was like those religious people you get on the street who really believe what they are saying is it."

Dixon, 36, has pleaded not guilty to a number of charges, including murder and attempted murder.

He is accused of attacking Simonne Butler and Renee Gunbie with a sword at the converted shed the three lived in at Pipiroa, on the Hauraki Plains, on January 21, 2003.

He is also accused of shooting dead 25-year-old James Te Aute, who had confronted him about his strange behaviour in an Auckland car park

Ms Ross, who was appearing for the defence on a witness summons, rubbed Dixon's shoulder as she walked passed the dock towards the witness box.

She said Dixon, who sat hunched forward while she gave evidence, believed he had computer chips planted in his body and that he was being followed.

On one occasion, he spoke about a Concorde jet hovering around in the sky.

She detailed other unusual aspects of Dixon's behaviour during the time they were together, including excitability, talking extremely fast to the point of foaming at the mouth, and rocking back and forth in front of the television.

He would also speak about hearing voices and about the devil, something she found "quite frightening".

"I decided not to listen too much to what he was saying," she said.

"It's not a topic I talked about because it created so much discomfort for me."

But Ms Ross revealed another side to Dixon, saying he was also charming, knowledgeable, generous and artistic.

"He will pick something that looks like junk and will convert it into a masterpiece."

The trial is continuing.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3203301a11,00.html

Thorulfr

Oy...I think somebody needs their meds adjusted... :roll:

cynick

OK, so the question is - what is it about Katanas that inspires this kind of behaviour? Or is it the mere fact that they are such legendary weapons that makes this kind of behaviour newsworthy? (You don't get too many stories about people going on the rampage with 19th Century Cavalry Sabres).

Is it something to do with the manufacturing process (secret rituals totally unknown to Westerners), or is it the manufacturors themselves?

Some swords were reputed to reflect their creators' personalities. Those made by Muramasa had a reputation for violence and bloodshed, while those made by Masamune were considered weapons of peace. A popular legend tells of what happens when two swords made by Muramasa and Masamune were held in a stream carrying fallen leaves: while those leaves touching the Muramasa blade were cut in two, those coming towards the Masamune suddenly changed course and went around the blade without touching it.

Or could they even be the 3 dimensional representation of some mythos beastie? (Nyarlathotep has an avatar known as The Father of Blades IIRC)

ninthcouncil

News reports don't yet say whether this is a katana incident or not, but if I were a betting man...

'Sword' man shot dead by police

Police have shot dead a man after he is believed to have leapt from his van brandishing a sword on a busy road. Witnesses say the van driver stopped his vehicle before dashing over to a nearby tanker on the A63 outside Hull. He is reported to have been wielding a sword and was shot by officers who had first fired plastic baton rounds. Police had been alerted on Tuesday morning after reports a van was being driven the wrong way down the eastbound carriageway of the road. The man was pronounced dead at the scene. The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is to conduct an investigation.

(snip)

The local MP, Shadow Home Secretary David Davis, has been given a briefing by police on what happened. Mr Davis said he has been told that police fired two baton rounds as the man tried to get into other vehicles. When he still continued to threaten them, the police used their firearms. Officers then tried to resuscitate the man but he was found to be dead.

(snip)

The van comes from the a charity shop in nearby Beverley. A sign on the door of the shop says it is closed because of a bereavement. The 'And Albert Foundation' shop in Beverley sells Fair Trade goods and has its own "Trading Roots" labelled products.

(snip)

Story from BBC NEWS

cynick
'Bloodbath' at church in Germany

Police say the attack was motivated by personal problems.

A man wielding a sword has killed a woman and injured at least three other people during a service at a church in southern Germany.

Police said they found "grisly" scenes, including severed limbs, at the scene of the attack in Stuttgart.

A 25-year-old suspect was overpowered by officers and arrested.

He is an ethnic Tamil, as were most of the congregation. Police say the attack was not politically motivated and was probably prompted by personal problems.

The man stormed into the church just before 1600 (1400 GMT) waving a sword before going on the rampage, according to eyewitnesses.

He killed a 43-year-old woman and seriously injured three other people, including one whose hand was hacked off, police said.

Police described the scene as a "bloodbath".

About 65 people - half of them children - are believed to have been in the church at the time.

Counselling has been offered to those who witnessed the attack.

Tamils are a predominantly Hindu minority in Sri Lanka and southern India.

The group regularly rented the Stuttgart church to hold its services.

From the BBC

This report identifies the blade as our old friend, the Samurai sword.

Thorulfr

This report identifies the blade as our old friend, the Samurai sword.

OK, with India/Sri Lanka having any number of indigenous swords and knives, why was a Tamil...in Germany...using a Japanese sword?? :?

Weird.

Coelacanth

It's not like the guy was using a Katana made by a master smith. India and Pakistan make most of the cheapass Samurai and Ninja weapons that are sold through mail order or through dealers at gun shows and Renaissance faires.

Thorulfr
India and Pakistan make most of the cheapass Samurai and Ninja weapons that are sold through mail order or through dealers at gun shows and Renaissance faires.

:lol: True - they are also the source of the cheap@ss Indian weapons. I've seen some truely awful "kukris" floating around.

Coelacanth

Anybody here ever catch that episode of Southpark where the kids buy themselves swords and shuriken?

:lol:

GreveMagnus

Here's a more positive report about our old chum, the samurai sword. Real, antique, Japanese samurai swords this time.

AN ornate sword thought to have been seized as a symbol of triumph over Japanese imperialism at the end of World War II will be returned to its owner's family by a group of Australians.

The return is being spearheaded by Catholic priest, the Reverend Father Paul Glynn, 76, who has spent almost 50 years working on reconciliation between Australia and Japan following World War II.

A delegation from Cowra, in central-western NSW, led by the town's Mayor Bruce Miller, has travelled to the Japanese island of Shikoku where the sword will be presented to its owner's 91-year-old widow, Fusano Ohba, on Saturday.

Her husband, Shigenori, survived the war but died in 1991, aged 79.

The metre-long sword, which is one of 77 weapons returned to Japanese families following the war, was found by a policeman in Sydney who then passed it on to Fr Glynn in 1997.

Fr Glynn and his now late-brother Tony Glynn began handing back the weapons in 1958 while living in Japan.

Fr Glynn said on a return visit to Australia in 1957, his late brother was given the first of the swords by an Australian soldier who said he took it as trophy during the war but wanted it returned to Japan.

A year later Tony Glynn flew back to Japan with 75 swords, some of which had belonged to descendants of samurai and had been in the family for more than 500 years.

"The sword is not just a sword for the Japanese, these have been handed down for generations," Fr Glynn said.

"The sword holds the soul of the deceased.

"It has spiritual value to the family.

"It is something that their loved one carried when they died.

"Under their dedication to Buddhism it gives them that important link to the dead."

Another sword was returned in 1990 but in recent times it had become more difficult to locate the families of sword owners, said Fr Glynn who was not travelling to Japan for the latest handing back.

Strict new laws also prohibit the swords being taken into Japan unless it can be proved they are more than 60 years old.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,12834828-29277,00.html

Thorulfr

An acquaintance (I wish English had a word that more accurately captured the subtle shade of meaning that exists between the German words "Freund" and "Bekannte") of mine is half-Japanese, and he claimed (claimed, mind you) that his family owned a Masamune sword, and that at his insistance, they actually let him see it.

My wife was laughing behind her hand, because while he seems to be oblivious to the fact, it looks to us like his family is treating him very much as a 'remittance man' - they cover his bills so he stays far away. He probably strained a more than a few relations by insisting on seeing that treasure.

I'm still envious as all h#ll... :evil:

WinstonP

I feel remiss not to have mentioned the terrible accident visited on the Bluth family by the Sword of Destiny...

FunGuyfromYuggoth

2 sliced up by samurai sword

SYRACUSE - Two men were stabbed with a samurai-style sword during an argument in the basement of a Syracuse home, and one went to the hospital with the blade sticking through him, police said.

Luke Jenkins, 34, had two wounds to his abdomen.

But Edward Cannon, 39, was pierced from the lower abdomen through the upper back, according to police.

Both men were in fair condition later at University Hospital, a nursing supervisor said.

Jeremy Bartle, 22, was charged with second-degree attempted murder and fourth-degree weapon possession in the stabbings about 4 a.m. Saturday at his address, police spokesman Lt. Joe Cecile said.

There was no word on what sparked the bloody sword play, or where the blade came from.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/story/305668p-261572c.html

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Cops: Driver Defends Skills With Sword

NASHUA, N.H. (AP) -- A man is accused of defending his driving skills by pulling out a sword and popping a tire on another man's car.

Charles O'Neil, 36, was driving slowly on the Henri Burque Highway last Sunday when someone driving behind him became annoyed, honked his horn and passed him, police said.

When both vehicles stopped at a light, the two drivers got out and started an argument that ended with O'Neil allegedly pulled out a broadsword with a blade more than three feet long and telling the other driver, "I ought to run you through with this."

Police said O'Neil also pierced the other car's tires and then drove off.

He's been charged with criminal threatening and criminal mischief.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SWORD_ARREST?SITE=APWEB&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Thorulfr

OK, picture this: you know the local police have it in for you when you show up at a hospital with a sword sticking out of you, and the police arrent you for "possession of an illegal weapon."

(all right, that didn't happen, but I could certainly imagine it...)

FunGuyfromYuggoth

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4305068.stm

Samurai sword used in town attack

A man in his 50s has escaped serious injury after being attacked by a man wielding a samurai type sword in County Down, police have said.

It happened on Sunday after a man entered an amusement arcade on Newcastle's Main Street.

The victim sustained injuries to his head, neck and arm, but was saved from serious harm by a man on the premises who used a chair to shield him.

A man in his 30s was later arrested at a car park near Bryansford Road.

The injured man was treated at the scene by ambulance personnel.

A follow up examination of the scene where the attack occurred is expected to be carried out later on Monday.

Police have appealed for anyone with information about the attack to contact police in Newcastle on 028 44615011.

dunc

I have never had an attempted break in occur, but as i'm a 3rd dan instructor in ju-jitsu 6'6 and 17 stone i don't get much trouble.

It also helps that when I practice in the back garden all the neighbours can see me throwing around various japanese weaponry.

Orlock

Guess I must mention that a bizarre double murder took place in my home town a few years ago. A 10 year old boy instigated his father to kill his older brother and his girlfriend. The murder weapon: a katana. The boy and his father invited the young couple to dine, then the father killed them the sword as they showed up.

According to the police the man and the boy had been "delving into ninja lore", whatever that's supposed to mean. The man was charged with murder but the boy admitted to planning the whole thing and will probably spend the rest of his life in a mental institution.

In a strange twist of synchronicity, my wifes' brother used to work in the murderers' kitchen appliance shop years before all this happened. When he quit, he received a teflon frying pan as a parting gift. The pan was eventually given to my wife and we'd been using it happily for years. Because it was allways a bit dented on the side we finally desided to get rid of it a couple of months back.

I think it's still in this box of things waiting to be taken to the dump next spring. If anyone is interested in a factory faulty used frying pan once held by a to-be sword murderer, just PM me. You can get it for free.

Hey, guys, don't go! A nice, crappy used frying pan with a great story?! Hey, come on, now...

FunGuyfromYuggoth
4 charged with robbing store with sword

By John R. Ellement, Boston Globe Staff | March 8, 2006

Four Attleboro teenagers were arrested early today after they allegedly robbed a convenience store using a "samurai'' style knife or sword, police said.

Less than 10 minutes after the 2:23 a.m. robbery of the 7-Eleven store on North Main Street, the 2000 Mitsubishi Galant the four teens were riding in crashed near a house on Lindsey Street, police said. No one was injured.

The store clerk was unharmed. Police identified three of the suspects as Nathaniel J. Ramaglia, 17, Nicholas A. Santaniello, 18, and Yann Chrorm, 18, all of Attleboro. The fourth suspect is a juvenile and his name was not released.

Attleboro Police Capt. David T. Proia said two of the suspects are students at Attleboro High School. The investigation is continuing, police said.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/03/08/4_charged_with_robbing_store_with_sword/

cynick

Oh hell, this one happened in a quiet country village just a few miles from where I live :roll:

Plastic bullets bring down 'swordsman'

May 10 2006

By Pippa Woolnough

A MAN who sparked a major police incident by brandishing a deadly Samurai sword was brought down by police marksmen who fired plastic bullets.

Armed police and a Surrey force helicopter were sent to New Farthingdale, Dormansland, at about 12.30am on Tuesday morning, after a member of the public dialled 999.

They encountered a 20-year-old man armed with a sword on the normally quiet residential road.

Armed response officers restrained the man after a round of plastic bullets was fired.

It is only the fifth time plastic bullets have been used by Surrey Police.

The man was taken to East Surrey Hospital in Redhill and treated for bruising.

The police say he suffered no serious injury. No member of the public or any police officers were hurt in the incident.

A sword was recovered at the scene.

A cordon around the area was taken down at about 1pm on Tuesday afternoon after police had completed their preliminary investigations.

A spokesman for Surrey Police said further investigations were continuing. A 20-year-old man, from Dormansland, was arrested for possession of an offensive weapon and, following a check-up at East Surrey Hospital, was taken into custody at Reigate Police Station.

TheKingInYellow

I wonder if there's a corellation between being insane and owning a sword... Or if owning the sword makes you nuts :P

Mr_Lin

The police say he suffered no serious injury. No member of the public or any police officers were hurt in the incident.

Reckon he got off quite lightly. In the past the rozzers have shot samurai sword wielders dead e.g.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/4313262.stm

Incidentally, if you type samurai sword into the search box at the top of the BBC news page you get a whole catalogue of mayhem. There's definitely a relationship between owning a sword and precarious mental health.

TheKingInYellow

Come to think of it, the most questionable people I know own swords... The sane ones own guns.

Of course, the craziest ones have Trebuchets :lol:

FunGuyfromYuggoth
Firstcoastnews.com Article

13-Year-Old Tries Sword Attack

By WXIA-TV

GAINESVILLE, GA -- A 13-year-old boy has been charged with breaking into a home near Gainesvile, stealing a sword, and holding it to the neck of an 11-year-old boy. The teenage suspect also tried to use the sword to fend off police officers, authorities said.

The break-in took place at a home on Greenfield Drive in Statham about 5 a.m. Thursday. The homeowner called 911 after his 11-year-old son awoke to find someone in his room. The burglar had taken a sword from a display case in the 11-year-old's bedroom and held it to the boy's throat, threatening to kill him if he made a sound. When the suspect fled the room with several swords, the 11-year-old woke up his father.

As Statham Police arrived, an officer spotted the suspect running from the area and chased him on foot. Officers lost the suspect but deputies from Barrow County found the suspect walking on Atlanta Highway. The suspect attempted to attack a deputy with one of the swords before being arrested, officials said.

The suspect is charged with armed robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and obstruction of an officer for the home invasion. He also faces charges of aggravated assault on a police officer in connection with the arrest.