ElderThing

Roar of Cthulhu

ElderThing

Hello!

Keeper conundrum I'd like to run by fellow Lovecraftian enthusiasts. Some of my players are taking a little trip to R'lyeh and I'd like to scare them with some demented dreams sent to them from the mighty Cthulhu himself. Nothing too special other than me describing the terrifying Cthulhu to them as originally as possible, with a monster roar I'm going to play for them. Problem is: I can't pick a roar...

I've been drawn to the 1-18-08.com roar, the promotional site for Cloverfield that came out back in 2008. It's a great roar, but my players are fans of the film like I am and it would be very recognizable. I've experimented with different Kaiju roars from the Godzilla films, but the closest I've come to making a decision is Biollante, but her roar just doesn't quite feel right. I've even tried the War of the World's tripod sounds, but they sound too artificial (Obviously)

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what monster might sound closest to Cthulhu, that way I could rip the sound bite from the media and use it to scare the pants off of my investigators.

P.S. we don't normally deal with Cthulhu directly, but my players begged me for a chance to head to R'lyeh and me? I love it when they make foolish decisions.

anacharis

would be an obvious choice, or maybe one of the other unexplained NOAA sounds,  like slow down.

I quite like the Hedora, Destoroyah, and Spacegodzilla clips from here.

The other thing would be to play around with different sound clips in something like Audacity, slowing them down or adjusting their pitch.

Malik

I'm a fan of the witch king's shriek from lotr. It has that nice nails on a chalkboard feeling to it. But again it has a chance of recognisability unfortunately.

rylehNC

I'm a fan of the witch king's shriek from lotr. It has that nice nails on a chalkboard feeling to it. But again it has a chance of recognisability unfortunately.

There's always the balrog.

The_Tatterdemalion_King

I'd go for something subsonic, if anything.

Hammer

I don't do sounds much anymore, but when I did, I had a Cthulhu noise that was basically wobbly whale song over choppy surf. Cthulhu is usually presented as a marine entity, so I figured he should sound downright benthic.

Gaffer

I'm not sure Cthulhu should roar. He is, after all, a fully sentient being, not an animal.

Maybe he would voice warnings or threats in an incomprehensible language in a very low register. You might take some Jabba the Hutt dialogue and slow it way way down.

Ravenhoe

I too think that a roar might be to predatory / animalistic for Cthulhu. Maybe create a sound that would not be so clearly understood by the investigators, as a roar - despite being non-human in that case - is a clearly communicated message after all.

tentarephobia

I seem to recall Lovecraft mentioning that the name Cthulhu was not so much spoken as whistled - so maybe you're looking for higher-pitched steam-whistle overtones?

There's nothing to say that Cthulhu's voice would even fall into the narrow range of sounds detectable by human hearing - it could be that what we would hear would be mere overtones or undertones of a language that ranged from the sub- to super-sonic.

I'm not sure how you would create this in audio format - perhaps experiment with slowing down the sound of a silent dog whistle until it becomes just audible?

mvincent

I had always thought of Cthulhu as silent (especially after seeing the movie), but re-reading 'The Call of Cthulhu' short story, I now notice the following sounds being mentioned:

"a nasty, slopping sound" when Cthulhu came to the door, then 
"slavered and gibbered" when standing at the waters edge, and
"a bursting as of an exploding bladder" "and a sound that the chronicler would not put on paper" when hit by the ship

As for whistling, I believe that was more something that Azathoth, Elder Things and Shoggoths did (Tekeli'li)