PoC

YSDC 5G

PoC

Welcome to the 2013 incarnation of Yog-Sothoth.

YSDC took the weekend off to do a major change of site software and now we're back (mostly).

There's several things that need fixing (including site colours, some links), re-implementing (e.g. Players' Directory) and organising (articles & downloads) but we are up and running.

Why the change? Simply because we saw the future of our old software and it wasn't very good at all. With the new system we're hoping to build further (and progress to things like unified logins) and it gives us scope for more facilities and better administration.

It will take a little while for things to settle down again but hopefully it will be an overall improvement.

While "Yoggie" took the weekend off, Allicorn and I certainly didn't. ;-) Alli did the major part of the changeover process (as he did last time) and without his great efforts YSDC would still be back in the internet Stone Age. A big thanks to Allicorn!

One immediate benefit to all. Everyone can now upload their own personal avatars.

Thanks for staying with us and for your patience as we sort the last bits out!

yockenthwaite

Looking different!

I noticed that view unread posts in the Tapatalk app doesn't seem to be bringing up anything new at the moment. Nor does clicking on new content in the web browser version. Guess that's something still to fix.

One definite criticism I have is that the colours are very poor for contrast on the tab bar across the top of the forum etc. So Forums, Pages, Blogs etc. - basically the not-current tabs that are shown in a faint whitish/blue against a not very striking greenish colour. I'm very aware of this as a disabled user, who has accessibility issues due to reading/visual problems. But it may be a problem for others too. Can the contrast be tweaked/increased?

Also I often use the Yoggie Affiliate Amazon UK link. I can't see that under the Support tab. Something else still to add?

But other than that it looks good and I'm going to have fun getting to grips with the new generation :)

yockenthwaite

I seem to have lost my old avatar, and when I try to reupload it and click on import (after bunging the JPG inside my own personal webspace) it says "member_profile_disabled" in red text. Help!

PoC

I seem to have lost my old avatar, and when I try to reupload it and click on import (after bunging the JPG inside my own personal webspace) it says "member_profile_disabled" in red text. Help!

That should be fixed for you, now?

Regarding colours, we're aware (mentioned in my first post).

Cheers!

yockenthwaite

Thanks. Yes I belatedly saw the colours mention in the first post ;)

And now the new content link seems to be working. Yay.

And I've just been able to change my avatar back. Phew!

Beyond05

Chat still isn't working for me. :(

Fin

Glad  Yoggies is back; better, faster stronger you (and Alicorn) have rebuilt it. The (not quite) 5 million Dollar Website.

on another note I have the same Avatar "member_profile_disabled" problem Viv had.

PoC

Chat still isn't working for me. :(

Chat isn't working for anyone right now.

Glad  Yoggies is back; better, faster stronger you (and Alicorn) have rebuilt it. The (not quite) 5 million Dollar Website.

on another note I have the same Avatar "member_profile_disabled" problem Viv had.

Will look into it!

PoC

Chat now working (though we're on a 5 user limit until I pay for more)...

@Fin - You should now be able to edit your profile (it was because you're special). ;-)

ElijahWhateley

I'm sure a lot of thought went into picking the new software, and I'm sure it's a necessary upgrade to keep the site modern and allow for more scope.

And I really don't want to sound rude or whiny about this.

But it looks a whole lot worse than the old site. Everything has a very ugly, gimmicky look to it. I can't quite describe why, but it reminds me of the sorts of forum that turn up in a google search on an obscure topic and haven't been posted to by anyone except spambots for the last five years. Maybe it's the mold-blue background?

PoC

People seem to be having issues with the colour scheme (which I tried to initially match with the editor).

As it's unpopular I've nuked it back to basic while I look for a more suitable set of colours.

wombat1

People seem to be having issues with the colour scheme (which I tried to initially match with the editor).

As it's unpopular I've nuked it back to basic while I look for a more suitable set of colours.

The difficulty with the original choice of color from my perspective was that the light colored lettering was difficult to spot against the light colored background; I saw them as white and tan, while yockentwhaite saw them as two different colors, it seems.   The blue and white actually looks pretty good,

If you have some means of changing the font of the tab headings, making them slightly larger and using the same font and color that "yog-sothoth" at the top is in, you might make it more distinctive looking perhaps?

Paddurz

It seems to me that the site is running smoother now, after the upgrade. With smoother I mean that it seems to open forum threads quicker and there is less wait/sluggishness when replying to topics or searching for something.

Colour scheme is less important to me personally, since I visit the site often with TapaTalk. Sadly, I struggle mightily to get used to the new user interface in TapaTalk since their software upgrade (also during this weekend - strange coincidence!) but that has nothing to do with the YSDC software/looks.

I think it is a step in the right direction! Thank you Allicorn and PoC for slugging it through the upgrade! You're true champs!

Lost Sojourner

This is like that time so long ago when I came back home from college and my parents had already changed my old room.  Looks great, just need a while to find where all my things have been stashed.  Looking forward to a successful reincarnation of the site!

cjearkham

The site has lost its visual character. It's like we moved from a pre-war home with fancy woodwork into one designed in Danish Modern. I'm sure the plumbing is better, but I miss the brickwork.  Here's hoping future tweaks restore some of the Lovecraftian style.

yockenthwaite

Is there going to be a report post button added back in? I clicked on the YSDC Fundraiser thread, and saw the spammy new post. Tried to look for a report post button, but couldn't see one at all. Can be handy at times like that :)

PoC

The site has lost its visual character. It's like we moved from a pre-war home with fancy woodwork into one designed in Danish Modern. I'm sure the plumbing is better, but I miss the brickwork.  Here's hoping future tweaks restore some of the Lovecraftian style.

As mentioned above this has now been set back to the default skin. We're working on the new one.

Is there going to be a report post button added back in? I clicked on the YSDC Fundraiser thread, and saw the spammy new post. Tried to look for a report post button, but couldn't see one at all. Can be handy at times like that :)

Aye! The Mods can see a report button and I'm looking into switching it back on for everyone.

Fallingtower

I'd love to see a different skin...I'm a big fan of green.

Still getting the feel of the new site still.

PoC

We're actively looking at new themes/skins for the site. I'd quite like something like Innsmouth House currently has (I enjoy the 20s/30s art deco look), but that would take a little programming by someone with more skill in that area than me!

Site members should now see a "Report" button at the bottom of posts that can be used to flag up issues.

Patrons should now have the ability to add attachments to their Private Messages.

yockenthwaite
Site members should now see a "Report" button at the bottom of posts that can be used to flag up issues.

Yes, seeing that now, thanks.

GBSteve

What's the link for new forum content?

Fallingtower

We're actively looking at new themes/skins for the site. I'd quite like something like Innsmouth House currently has (I enjoy the 20s/30s art deco look), but that would take a little programming by someone with more skill in that area than me!

I remember when the site went 'beige', it took some getting used to back then...I can't remember pre-beige anymore actually. 

I'm a big believer in form snazzing up function.

Agree the site would look awesome in either art deco or something Lovecraftian.

WiseWolf

Hi Paul, for some reason I have issues uploading my avatar. Any specs other than the ones in the guide in order to make it work?

Shrike

It looks like my thread subscriptions have disappeared ...  :?

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now