ScottDorward

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias

ScottDorward

Episode068.jpg?w=484

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias are back with a look at a couple of lesser-discussed Clive Barker films. As ever, we try to find stuff we can nick for our games, and there are some pretty rich pickings tucked away in the mausoleums of Midian.[/size]

Also, we sing again. It's not pretty, even by the standards of the Nightbreed.

ScottDorward

Episode069.jpg?w=484

We're back, and it's story time again! This is our look at Lovecraft's supreme tale of weird horror, The Colour Out of Space. It's one of Paul's and my favourite stories, but happily Matt is able to provide a voice of dissent to stop this being too much of a cosmic lovefest.

This episode also marks the start of us trying a new host for our media files. Please let us know if you have any problems downloading this episode. We can roll back to the previous solution easily enough.

Oh, and apologies if having a media file named good-friends-69 on your phone, tablet or computer raises any awkward questions. I really should have thought this naming convention through!

ScottDorward
Episode070.jpg

We're back, and we're wrapping up our discussion of Lovecraft's story The Colour Out of Space by looking at adaptations and gaming inspiration. This may be the most influential of Lovecraft stories, impacting other media like a star falling from the heavens, then gradually insinuating itself into public consciousness.

This episode also contains a short interview with Huan Vu, director of Die Farbe (our favourite film version of the story) and the forthcoming feature, The Dreamlands.

This is the final episode recorded on our trusty old Yeti microphone. The interview was conducted over Skype, however, and my end of it sounds like it was recorded in a wind tunnel. Apologies for that!

ScottDorward

Episode071.jpg?w=484

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias are back, and we're shaking our fists at the modern world. You youngsters probably have an app to do that for you.

This is our look at the pitfalls and opportunities presented by setting horror games in the modern-day. By modern-day, we mean anything more recent than 1975. Well, Paul does.

This is also the first episode to feature our shiny new microphones. Thank you again to all our Patreon backers for making this possible!

ScottDorward

Episode072.jpg?w=484

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias are back, and we’re taking a look at props, handouts and other things a GM can show players at the gaming table without ending up on a register. 

This is partly a discussion of interesting ways in which to use props and handouts, partly an opportunity for us to wax nostalgic about cool ways we’ve seen them used, but mostly a chance for Paul and I to marvel at just how much work Matt puts into such things: there is much talk of the merits of lamination.

Thanks to some exceptional generosity from our Patreon backers, we also have two bouts of singing this episode. “Bouts†is probably the best word, although assaults, eruptions and affronts also come to mind. If you have a better description, please let us know!

ScottDorward

Episode073.jpg?w=484

To be specific, we're not being specific. Instead, we're giving a quick overview of what changes you'll encounter if you're used to earlier editions. We've spoken about some of these topics in detail on earlier episodes, but we've completely neglected to give a summary until now. Hair shirts and (non-recreational) self-flagellation all round.

ScottDorward

Episode074.jpg?w=484

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias are back, and we're heading INLAND. We may be some time. Of course, time may not actually be linear, so it could be hard to tell. And don't get me started on the rabbits...

All of this is a suitably disjointed way of saying that our topic for this episode is David Lynch's 2006 film, INLAND EMPIRE. One could debate whether this is a horror film, and we certainly do on the episode. Even if you don't believe that it is, I'd be surprised if INLAND EMPIRE didn't unnerve you more than most films.

We are joined for this lengthy discussion by Mike Mason, line editor for Call of Cthulhu and long-time Lynch fan. He even tries to help with our singing. I fear our natural lack of talent may have overcome Mike's skill and enthusiasm, however.

ScottDorward

Episode078.jpg?w=484

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias are heading back to 2015, when we chatted to Mike Mason about what we all believed was the imminent release of Call of Cthulhu 7th edition, and the history of its development. Of course, it took a little while longer for the books to come out...

We decided to wait until the 7th edition books were in backers' hands before releasing these two episodes. The content of the discussion is still as relevant now as it was when we recorded it. And speaking of recording, these episodes were recorded on our old Yeti microphone, so you may notice that they're not quite up to the sound quality of more recent episodes. We shall be back to normal from episode 80.

ScottDorward

Episode079.jpg?w=484

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias are back with the second and concluding part of our look at how Call of Cthulhu 7th edition came about.

Once again, Call of Cthulhu line editor Mike Mason joins us for this inside look into the development process. Sadly we didn't get him to sing this time.

ScottDorward

Episode080.jpg?w=484

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias are back with an explosion of two-fisted adventure, daring escapes and gratuitous Zeppelins!

To coincide with the impending release of Pulp Cthulhu, we discuss what pulp means to us and how it contrasts with purist play. We then go into some detail about what to expect from Pulp Cthulhu and how it differs from everyday Call of Cthulhu. And then finally we punch a Nazi in the face, because pulp.

noahghola

What accurst stories might Pulp Cthulhu portray...? Only one way to find out: listen to The Good Friends of Jackson Elias.

Love this show. It's one of my favorite podcasts (not just when it comes to gaming.) While listening to this episode was struck with the idea of creating a group of pregen characters for Pulp all based around famous authors of the period. Ernst Hemmings, anyone? Big game hunter and steel-livered man's man.

PaulFricker

That's a cool idea and could be extended to cover different periods. I'm off to write Beat Poets Beat Cthulhu! Watch as William Burroughs unleashed Lovecraftian cut-ups and Allen Ginsberg makes the bad guys howl. 

ScottDorward

Oddly enough, I used Hemingway as inspiration for one of the pre-gens I use for Pulp Cthulhu convention games. He definitely had the steel-liver ability!

ScottDorward

Episode081.jpg?w=484

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias are back, and after our run of Cthulhu-heavy episodes, we're talking about Dead of Night, a horror roleplaying game where the tentacles are strictly optional.

In particular, we talk about the history of Dead of Night, how the mechanics work, and the many different ways we've used it or seen it used. 

Described as “the roleplaying game of campfire tales, slasher movies and b-movie horrorâ€, Dead of Night is a fast, simple game perfect for all manner of horror-one shots. All this has made it a mainstay of the British convention scene, but its exposure across the pond seems to be more limited. This episode is our attempt at a little cultural exchange. If you hear scratching at your bedroom door tonight, you can thank us in the morning, should you live to see it.

HomoLupusDomesticus

I own a copy of Dead of Night 2E but I've never run it. Look forward to listening to the episode.

AdamAlexander

Great episode. I picked up the game on DTRPG after listening, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

BrianL

I really enjoyed this episode too, having only just listened to it on Thursday night. Your enthusiasm for the game encouraged me to buy the print version of the book from Andrew Kenrick that night - I'd never come across it before. Hoping it arrives soon!

ScottDorward

Episode082.jpg?w=484

But by God, Eliot, it was a podcast from life.

We're back, and we're digging deep into ancient crypts and forgotten sepulchres to bring you our impressions of Pickman's Model. This is one of Lovecraft's strongest and best-known stories, although it touches on few of the themes we normally associate with him. It is also ripe with inspiration, and we are not shy about cracking its bones and sucking out the juicy gaming marrow within.

If you don't normally read the show notes, please do this time, as they include photographs of the eldritch goodies sent to us by listener Frank Delventhal. And then, on the podcast, you can hear us unwrap them and puzzle through what exactly he did to those nails. 

We also have another installment of our fledgling Ask Jackson segment. Remember, if you have any questions about eldritch horrors, existential nightmares or matters of investigator etiquette, our unique position as the earthly vessels of Jackson Elias allows us to ask his advice on your behalf. Please post any burning questions you may have here. That's figuratively burning questions only; we've had too many problems with the literal variety.

There is also singing in this episode. Well, glibbering and meeping at least. It just happened that way.

Caith

Just thought I would pop in and say thanks. New to CoC and this podcast really helped me while I was reading the core book I am constantly waiting for the next episode. So that is a meeping goodbye from me and see you next time.

ScottDorward

Episode083.jpg?w=484

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias are back, and this time we're trying to gain some insight into why we spend so much time at the gaming table.

What is the magic ingredient that makes roleplaying games so addictive? Is it the social aspect? Is it the creative stimulation? Is it the black tar heroin we use to ink our dice? Listen to this episode to find out.

ScottDorward

Episode084.jpg?w=484

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias are back and we're knee-deep in unwholesome items, terrors beyond the understanding of the human mind and dark mysteries of the cosmos. So, an average Tuesday.

This episode is our discussion of what makes a Mythos artefact interesting in Call of Cthulhu, how we might use them in our games and what our top three artefacts might be.

[Please don't link long entire sentences. It makes things difficult to read. If unsure on policy, please see our Terms of Use. Thanks. I have created a link to the key point below for convenience. ~ Mod.]

Good Friends of Jackson Elias #84: Top Three Mythos Artefacts

The ideal Mythos artefact is like a whoopee cushion. It looks innocuous, even welcoming at first, then it tears your mind loose from the restraints of human perception, sending you screaming into the unfathomable heart of eternity. And then it makes a farting noise.

There is also a lot of singing in this episode. We had three new people back us on Patreon at the $5 level, and we sing all of their praises this week. We tried some new vocal techniques and Paul really went to town on the editing. The results are the most sanity-blasting to date (with the possible exception of our ill-advised venture into hip hop).

PaulFricker

In Episode 87 we discuss the film, The Witch. Matt apparently mostly watched a black screen, but we do our best to work around that! This film tells the story of a family who decide to go it alone in 1630s America, setting up home in a clearing near the woods. And there's a witch. But is there really a witch? 

Episode087.jpg

One episode that we failed to mention, and one that has raised a good amount of discussion was on the topic of combat in roleplaying games, especially in Call of Cthulhu.

You can catch up on that discussion in Episode 85.

Episode085.jpg

Aklo

Keep up the great work guys! I'm working my way through a backlog of your shows, but the new stuff is VERY good. Excellent show!

ScottDorward

Episode088.jpg?w=484

[Another (and final) reminder! Please don't link long entire sentences. It does make things difficult to read. If you still remain unsure on site policy, please reacquaint yourself with our Terms of Use. Cheers. I have again created a link to the key point below for convenience. Please don't ignore this. In future, posts may simply be removed as a result, which would be sad. Thank you.~ Mod.]

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias are back, and we're digging into various techniques for preparing and running published campaigns, looking for pearls of wisdom. Sure, you don't dig for pearls, but common sense has never proved an obstacle to us before. 

While it's nice to have someone else come up with cool ideas, do all the research and write out those bloody stat blocks for you, there is still a lot of work in taking this material and turning it into something you can play with your friends. We offer our tips for making the process as quick and painless as possible (although "painless" seems to go against the spirit of Call of Cthulhu).

We also experiment with hideous new singing techniques in this episode, creating sounds that will echo through your body cavities for days afterwards.