qbauer

Raiders of R’lyeh

trevlix

Well, I am a backer, but I back a lot of things, so I missed an update in November that said that things had indeed been pushed back - digital delivery is apparently expected in February.  Print will apparently be a month or so after that.

It's been my general expectation that everyone blows through their estimates, with few exceptions.  

Unfortunately, I think for Kickstarter that is a given. The only one I've been part of to make it on time was Golden Goblin Press' Island of Ignorance. And Fate Core (I think that came out on schedule, but don't quote me on that).

HomoLupusDomesticus

Well, I am a backer, but I back a lot of things, so I missed an update in November that said that things had indeed been pushed back - digital delivery is apparently expected in February.  Print will apparently be a month or so after that.

It's been my general expectation that everyone blows through their estimates, with few exceptions.

Unfortunately, I think for Kickstarter that is a given. The only one I've been part of to make it on time was Golden Goblin Press' Island of Ignorance. And Fate Core (I think that came out on schedule, but don't quote me on that).

I don't understand why publishers don't just add, say, a half year to their estimates. Nobody is going to complain if a product releases earlier than "estimated"... It's what I would do: Product estimated to be ready by december? Tell the public it will be out by june next year and "pleasantly surprise" them when you get it out by april.

jlynn

The Kickstarter for this one funded back in September of 2013, but nothing has been updated on the game's web page since October 21st of 2013. It appears that updates are being done on KS, but I missed the KS (and paid into this on the game's web page a few days later), so I can't read the "backer only" updates, but Quentin Bauer has gone completely dark on his Raiders of R'lyeh web page as far as I can tell. His Facebook and Twitter feeds don't say anything about actual progress on the game either from what I can see, at least not for several months now.

I DID get the map packs he pushed out (nine .jpg images of old maps) and the playtest kit that was released on or about 4 October, though from subsequent posts it sounded like there were some issues in the game and it was going into a major re-write, but then all comms to the non-Kickstarter world ceased.

Has anyone got anything they can share from the KS updates?

Okay, looks like pinging QB on Facebook worked, so hopefully I'll get some copies of the KS updates! Sorry to have wasted everyone's time.

dce

Quentin has been pretty good about giving updates to backers ... including sharing some details of some unfortunate events that have contributed to delays (including a frightening medical emergency that partially blinded him for a while).

The most recent update was June 11 which reports a bunch of progress with the text but doesn't give any update to the expected release date.

Dean (from Adelaide)

Sandking

Anyone knows anything solid about this game aside from KS updates? I'm wondering for how long we must wait for final release. This is a complete failure to wait so long.

TheHistorian

It has been discussed a bit at http://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?t=26681

Basically, it's the "normal" reasons for delays and no one knows when we'll see this.  We're about a year overdue at this point, and while that's not great, I've backed projects that are even later and that I have less confidence in seeing complete.

Sandking

Thanks for that link. There's little to be found about this project on the internet and I was very curious about it. Eventually it was my first KS project. Too bad that this should've been planned more carefully.

jcfiala

Thanks for that link. There's little to be found about this project on the internet and I was very curious about it. Eventually it was my first KS project. Too bad that this should've been planned more carefully.

Well, it's hard to plan around sudden health problems when you're a one or two man team.  But, the samples he's been posting to the production log (which he links to from his updates on the kickstarter) are all really good-looking, I thought... such as the two page spread on the Great Page of Yith he posted earlier this month, or the Treasures of Blood Stained Gods campaign framework, which came with a list of possible backgrounds for characters that look interesting.

Sandking

John, I really understand the health problems and all that - but still - even if we take out a year for recovery - the project is falling behind. Those bits he throws at us are really great and are actually only things that are proof that this project isn't dead. Problem is - beyond that there's nothing more. No general idea how things are going, no activity here or on the official channels (G+, Twitter, Facebook) and no replies to questions that rise on KS page. I mean - it can take another year giving us samples of pages and people will still say "good job". This is problem of KS, I do realize that, but it can take forever. This guy took our money to make something and he fails so far. The least what he could do is be more active.

p.s.

Health problem is one issue. Other is rewriting game AFTER KS ends.

jcfiala

Well, he's expressed that he doesn't want to set up any other deadlines and then miss them, which I can understand.  But he does post something about once a month, which is about as active as I really want a project to be on updates - I've backed a lot of projects over the last few years, and although I could wish he'd be as quick to produce as, say, Kevin Crawford was with Silent Legions, that's sadly not the norm.  

I've got another late project which is updating once a day, and that one's gotten a bit annoying.  I've got other projects which update once every few months, and a few which have gone _completely_ dark.  I realize you're upset at the guy running the project... but for kickstarter, this is pretty good.

Sandking

I'm more upset because it really looks like a great product! Well, let's hope that it will be published somewhere in 2015...

Travern

Those bits he throws at us are really great and are actually only things that are proof that this project isn't dead.  Problem is - beyond that there's nothing more. No general idea how things are going, no activity here or on the official channels (G+, Twitter, Facebook) and no replies to questions that rise on KS page.

The progress bars on the homepage look optimistic but haven't really moved much in the last quarter:

1. Final Editing 98%
  2. Final Artwork 90%
  3. Design and Layout 65%

For a project that expanded so much after the initial Kickstarter estimates, that represents a not inconsiderable amount of work.  The recent monthly updates with sample layouts are encouraging but only the tip of the iceberg.  I'm still looking forward to the final product, but I'm pushing back my expectations for the publication date.

By contrast, Kevin Crawford's projects are more modest, but there's a reason his pitch for his now-available Silent Legions included a section entitled "Why My Kickstarters Work".  His blueprint for successfully completing a pledged project is a must-read for a first-time Kickstarter-starter.

rylehNC

If this project has taught me anything, it is this.

jcfiala

Well, I wish this was the only kickstarter I backed where that happened. :)

Travern

Well, let's hope that it will be published somewhere in 2015...

11 months later, it looks like there may have been a breakthrough! They've announced that the 300-page Core Rules Document is finished and there will be an update on their Backerkit. Meanwhile, the final edit on the GM chapters is 65% done, and Secrets of the Sargasso Sea is 25% done (no change in the status of the final art, however).

jcfiala

11 months later, it looks like there may have been a breakthrough!  They've announced that the 300-page Core Rules Document is finished and there will be an updated on their Backerkit.  Meanwhile, the final edit on the GM chapters is 65% done, and Secrets of the Sargasso Sea is 25% done (no change in the status of the final art, however).

And it was indeed up on Backerkit, although I haven't really looked at it yet.

Aklo

As a Kingdom Death backer, we only just got our rewards filled at the end of last year, and the stretch goal kits won't arrive for awhile yet, and there was a Kickstarter that never had to stop for medical concerns, I'd give it some more time, the product may be closer than you think. On the other hand, any time you donate to KS, think of it as just that, a donation. Your not guaranteed a project's completion and rewards. This one sounded VERY interesting though, I hope it wins out.

jcfiala

As a Kingdom Death backer, we only just got our rewards filled at the end of last year, and the stretch goal kits won't arrive for awhile yet, and there was a Kickstarter that never had to stop for medical concerns, I'd give it some more time, the product may be closer than you think. On the other hand, any time you donate to KS, think of it as just that, a donation. Your not guaranteed a project's completion and rewards. This one sounded VERY interesting though, I hope it wins out.

Oh, I'm quite familiar with how kickstarters can be slow - I've backed... about 233 of them, according to my spreadsheet, not counting a few IndieGoGo campaigns.  Most have delivered, if slowly.

Quite frankly, I'm quite certain I'll get all of my rewards for this project - which isn't hard, given that I backed at a pdf level.  Given the steady progress he's shown and the quality of what I have seen, I think it's going to be impressive when it's released.

HomoLupusDomesticus

Looking at what we've seen of it so far, I get the impression this may well turn out to be one of the most solid, thorough and complete Cthulhu games available.

Travern

Meanwhile, back on the official site's update section, Quentin Bauer addresses the elephant in the room:

What’s causing the delay, then, at this point?

Largely, additional material, including content catered especially for backer contributors. Early delays were caused by an entire rewrite of the rules based on play test feedback. Later delays were caused by fine-tuning and added content. One example is the Extraplanar Entities chapter, which was originally designed to be a few pages or a mere sidenote for the Evocation spell, but was then expanded into a massive chapter of material. A whole chapter was devoted to the sorcerer backers (with some suitably gross details...I’m looking forward to sharing the “Maw Maw,†as well as our version of the Worms That Walk).

In summary, we too often followed the impulse, “Wouldn’t it be cool if...†And unfortunately, each addition causes some rules tweaks and more revision. If we were to go back in time and do this all over again, we would have curbed this impulse, and most likely cut much of the extras offered in the launch and simply gone with a leaner core book. Thankfully, we are now past this impulse stage of adding in more material, and in the final stages of production.

Basically, the object lesson for just about any Kickstarter that surpasses its funding and starts accumulating stretch goals.

Travern

Against expectations and odds, Raiders of R'lyeh managed to finish not only the Core Rules Document, but also the Gamemaster Guide in 2016, with the Adventurer Guide 90% complete. From their post from their journal

Three PDFs have been distributed to the Raiders via Backerkit, depending on the relevant pledge levels: Gothic Black & White Print Edition, Gamemaster Guide & Complete Rules, and the Dark Swamp Introductory Location & Scenario. [...]

Designer Notes

GAMEMASTER GUIDE — Contains the core rules of the game plus a ton of additional material. The creature creation rules (in the Extraplanar Entities chapter), the faction rules (in the Organizations chapter), and much of the extra setting material were originally going to go into supplemental modules, but we decided to add everything we had to the gamemaster guide. The whole thing is conceived as a huge set of toolkits and guidelines for the d100 gamer. 489 pages.

GOTHIC BLACK & WHITE EDITION — Contains the streamlined core rules of the game. Essentially, you will notice a lot of overlap with the gamemaster guide, as the content is the same. However, we streamlined the rules, eliminating things such as combat maneuvers, etc., for gamers who want to simplify (and play with more of a “rulings over rules†mindset). We also kept in mind the fellow game designer who likes to customize and houserule (isn’t that all of us?). 260 pages.

Congratulations are in order, and in the meantime, I'm curious to see their special investigative mechanics for Circles of Influence, Clue Webs, Networking and Connections, and Organization/Conspiracy Responses and Hierarchies.

PoC

raiders-of-rlyeh-front-cover-2018.jpg

The Raiders of R'lyeh: Gamemaster's Guide & Core Rules have finally been released.

Raiders of R'lyeh is a stand-alone roleplaying game and sourcebook in which mercenary rogues explore forbidden frontiers, unearth ancient artefacts, and outwit villainous scum. Derived partly from the RuneQuest rules that have been released under the Open Game License, the game is crafted to emulate not only adventure in the Cthulhu Mythos of H.P. Lovecraft and his circle of influences, but especially the savage and evocative feel of Robert E. Howard's Mythos and Weird menace stories.

Attention has been made to keep the game mechanics compatible with other percentile systems — while innovating additional rulesets unique to the setting and atmosphere — so those players wishing only to use Raiders of R'lyeh as an Edwardian era adventure sourcebook will have a massive global setting to explore and use in their pre-existing Mythos campaign, as well as modular adventure, monster and scenario resources for gaming in 1900-1913. Those players wanting a standalone rulebook with its adventure modes of play, will have a complete toolkit for interacting with the Cthulhu Mythos.

• A complete sourcebook for expeditions, intrigues and adventures in the pre-Great War Edwardian period (can be used as a rules-independent sourcebook)
  • A wealth of resources about technology, inventions, architecture, weapons, gear, currencies, class structure, etiquette, vehicles, mounts, ports of call, and travel for the period
  • An expansive monster construction kit, with new weird monsters and twists on old favorites from the Mythos, drawn from the works of Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, M.R. James, William Hope Hodgson, Clark Ashton Smith, Algernon Blackwood, Lafcadio Hearn, among others
  • Hundreds of pages of GM support and world building resources for developing adventures, enemies and organisations
  • A global network of back-alley criminals, controlling gentry, avaricious smugglers and a campaign-spanning conspiracy known only as "The Glove," drawn from the pre-War era and tradition of Weird adventure
  • Setting creation support — including a collection of organisations from the era, from intelligence agencies to detective bureaus and secret society lodges, as well as ideas for secret factions and cults within these organizations or as separate entities, NPC stats for warlords, criminals, soldiers, spies, thugs, beasts...all the added Kickstarter-backed NPCs and organisations...and more
  • Faction rules, with a complete toolkit for developing your own factions
  • Guidelines for facilitating node-based investigation, using Circles of Influence (derived from other systems), Clue Webs and Scenario Nodes, Networking and Connections rules, and Organisation Responses and Hierarchies
  • A robust and extensive chapter on magic, sorcerers, occult works and artifacts from the world of 1910
  • A simple yet robust sanity system integrated into the PC and NPC motives and bonds
  • Options for "pulpier" occultists and occult detectives adventurers — akin to much of Lovecraft's original material and most of Howard's, and to the occult detectives in the works of various weird writers such as William Hope Hodgson, Arthur Machen, and so on — for players who want to incorporate pulpier magic into their mythos game
  • New adventurer roles, drives, bonds, and special abilities for players that emulate the period and feel of Weird menace and adventure
  • And much more: new skills, new gear, basic and tactical combat rules, chase rules, etc.
  • Includes an OGL and bibliography of sources, with support for open-ended customisation, enabling designers to adapt the game and hack their own settings and derived rules

As a bonus, you receive with your purchase Dark Swamp, a 27-page introductory scenario plus an expanded toolkit for developing and using the artefacts, legends, minions and magic of Tsathoggua in your campaign.

At over 500 pages, BW, Raiders of R'lyeh comes with a vast assortment of toolkits to build and run your own adventures set in the Mythos!

Price: £28.70 (PDF) Preview: raiders-of-rlyeh-pdf-preview.pdf

HomoLupusDomesticus

I've seen several reports online of people receiving their print books. I received mine the other week.