qbauer

Raiders of R’lyeh

kirkesque

I'm waiting to throw my money at Raiders, trying to decide ( dilemnas, dilemnas) whether I'd rather be an Adventurer or a Bad Guy.....

When I last checked in the wee hours of the night, there were 2 of each... I debated this same dilemma, and concluded I'd prefer being a minion.   :8E:  Iä! Iä!

tgaitskell
Well, I'm pleased to have invested in the kickstarter for Raiders, though admittedly only at the initial printed copy level. There appears to be some fascinating material on offer, but in all honesty, if more actual printed material was available, or a hardcover version on the main book (Or both), I'd definately increase my pledge. I know there are others of similar mind.

Any chance of catering a little more for people who still prefer the rustle of dead tree?

Otherwise, wishing you every success!

Also, as a curious aside, did the illustrator of some of the black and white artwork ever do work on Pacesetter's Chill? It appears of remarkably similar style.

qbauer

tgaitskell:

Thank you for the pledge (if I did not thank you already in a message on Kickstarter)! We are putting everything we’ve got into the print edition offered, so that is a great choice. We have plans to add more to the Kickstarter (in way of print material), pending funding, so keep a watch for it. An upgrade — such as adding a hardcover — to the Gothic Black and White book would be the next logical choice.

I am the BW illustrator, and I did not work on Pacesetter’s Chill. Though now I would really like to check it out.

jcfiala

I'm still waiting on what details come up on how the rules are different from CoC, and what I'm losing out on if I choose one set of rules over the others, in specific.  I know you've stated that you're going to go into more detail on those in later updates, qbauer, I'm just pointing out that I'm still waiting on those updates. 

qbauer

jcfiala, regarding your question about how the game differentiates itself, here are some bulletpoints (this is from our FAQ, which addresses the same question):

One, the setting. 1910 is amazing, and if we do this right, we have plans to cover The Great War in a later expansion.

Two, our game uses independently moving factions, open-ended clue structures, wandering NPCs, an open setting, and a focus on exploration and story hooks, over pre-scripted narratives that push characters through a series of investigation checks. In other words, the setting itself dictated to us that this would work very well as a sandbox.

Three, while some games have added specific rules to fix perceived problems with running a mythos investigation, we focus on handling failed investigation checks with the setting and adventure design (not with the game system itself). We include guidelines for letting players run in unanticipated directions, and for allowing failed investigation checks with interesting consequences to the setting. If you’d like to see some of the design philosophy that influenced our investigation checks, check out Kevin Crawford’s amazing games (especially Red Tide, Stars Without Number, and Other Dust).

Four, since our rules are at least partly derived from open licensed systems (with our own twists), our rules are consequently open license (meaning you can take them and make your own games with them).

Our rules are lightweight, and based on the same percentile system that Call of Cthulhu, Runequest, Openquest, Mongoose Legend, The Company (and much more) is derived from. You can grab our Keeper Guide and have a really nice 1910 campaign setting, NPCs, maps, equipment and weapons to use with the game of your choice. Take the sourcebook if you want to stick with your own game.

Next, our play test packet is coming out soon, which will include two large adventure modules (one of them being very Robert E. Howard-focused; if you have read the El Borak stories, then you will get a good feel for the tone of the adventure). Players head to the Arabian desert in 1910, and may face German and Turkish infantry, occultists, spies, Bedouin, bandits, mercenaries, and more, and this may be before they even stumble onto the central threat. (This would be a good packet to pick up and try out for people sitting on the fence.)

In the core rules, these adventure modules interconnect with the other adventure modules in the book, so even if players find a new lead in Arabia that takes them away from the main mythos activity there, they could end up in any other corner of the world (dealing with Japanese Black Dragon agents, Honghuzi, Cossacks in Machuria, as one example, or heading to the American Southwest to track down another lead, with the Mexican Revolution as backdrop, just as two examples...) The templates are designed to create a large global canvas for exploration, with tools for generating NPCs and hooks particular to each region. Several Great Old Ones and powerful NPCs come with hooks as well, for building a background web of conspiracies.

The rules are a small percentage of the book, and compartmentalized, in order to leave this larger sourcebook for people wanting to use it with their own system.

Hope that addresses some of the questions. Thanks again, for bringing this up, and I’ll try to be back later to address and more questions that may come up.

jcfiala

jcfiala, regarding your question about how the game differentiates itself, here are some bulletpoints (this is from our FAQ, which addresses the same question):

Yes, yes, I've seen your FAQ.  I want more detail than that.  I'm also still wondering what your page counts are going to be.

qbauer

jcfiala, my answer included the following that was NOT part of our FAQ, just for clarification:

[see post #81, above. ~ Mod.]

If you have more specific questions, fire away. Sorry for the delay, as the Kickstarter is taking quite a bit of time (but your questions are worth it).

Stainless

Next, our play test packet is coming out soon, which will include two large adventure modules...This would be a good packet to pick up and try out for people sitting on the fence.

I had assumed the playtest packet was going to be distributed only to those who have already backed the Kickstarter, but this suggests it will be a fully open playtest. If so, that's good news; I'm really looking forward to seeing it and hearing other opinions before committing. Yes, I'm one of those sitting on the fence. When might we expect this to be released?

qbauer

I had assumed the playtest packet was going to be distributed only to those who have already backed the Kickstarter, but this suggests it will be a fully open playtest. If so, that's good news; I'm really looking forward to seeing it and hearing other opinions before committing. Yes, I'm one of those sitting on the fence. When might we expect this to be released?

The play test packet will be going out to backers, first (end of September). We want to make sure they get something in their hands as soon as possible. After that, we will be using Backerkit to continue offering the game, but we do not yet have a schedule for the second release of the play test. I’ll announce our post-launch schedule as soon as possible, though. 

jcfiala

The play test packet will be going out to backers, first (end of September). We want to make sure they get something in their hands as soon as possible. After that, we will be using Backerkit to continue offering the game, but we do not yet have a schedule for the second release of the play test. I’ll announce our post-launch schedule as soon as possible, though. 

Ah, so the playtest doesn't go out until the kickstarter is over?

Stainless

Thanks for clarifying the playtest timing. I can't help feeling it's a misjudgement. I would expect the forum buzz from people who receive the playtest document would have greatly helped sell your Kickstarter. It's a missed marketing opportinity (unless, of course, the reception to it is to be negative, but I'm not expecting that to be the case). If you lok at the various forum discussions about the RoR Kickstarter, one of the main critisisms is the lack of specifics about the system; something the playtest document could have satisfied.

christian

Dear quentin  I'm still on the sideline, still undecided as whether to choose art of adventuring or art of vilenny... and no update has made that choice easier... any chances that question will be adressed? thanks

UmbertoOcto

Dear quentin  I'm still on the sideline, still undecided as whether to choose art of adventuring or art of vilenny... and no update has made that choice easier... any chances that question will be adressed? thanks

christian~

you might've missed quentin addressing your question a page or so back...here.

christian

Thanks, UmbertoOcto ;-) but I was waiting for a layout

UmbertoOcto

Ah-so. Only the arcane printers of Irem (and, perhaps, Quentin himself) can answer that one. :)

qbauer

Christian, thanks for checking in with your question. Yes, I promised you updates with layouts (and as I write this, in fact, I am working on our play test layout)! For now, the color portraits that you see on our Kickstarter page are representative of how you would be presented (and in a significant portion of the page). The black and white version (that is also presented on our page) is also available for those who prefer that style. How the image works into the layout depends on where you want to be depicted; some people may choose to be a playable character (with their own filled in character sheet), while others may want to be an important NPC. I hope this serves as a stopgap answer while you’ve been so patient.

christian

Ok. Dark side it is for me, then ;-)  In full color, please  ;-)

qbauer

Thank you, Christian!

christian

I have had the privilege of sneaking a peek at my color portrait and I was left literally speechless for some time. I won't spoil, but will just say how thrilled I am in having chosen to be a villain in raiders of r'lyeh

rylehNC

Is this still on track for a February release?

jcfiala

I can't say for sure, but given that they blew past their December deadline for the pdfs without nary a mention, I'd guess that the February release isn't going to happen on time.

UmbertoOcto

Perhaps some definitions of "Estimated" are different than others, but the December date for pdf releases was, indeed, an estimate. As are February dates.

As evidenced from the homepage and the Kickstarter page (perhaps information is backers only, I do not know), work continues on the game.

Before taking opinion from early critics of the project (who predicted it to not be funded), perhaps Quentin will offer a better timeline here (or, in my experience, an email to him brings about a quick reply).

~UO

jcfiala

Perhaps some definitions of "Estimated" are different than others, but the December date for pdf releases was, indeed, an estimate. As are February dates.

As evidenced from the homepage and the Kickstarter page (perhaps information is backers only, I do not know), work continues on the game.

Before taking opinion from early critics of the project (who predicted it to not be funded), perhaps Quentin will offer a better timeline here (or, in my experience, an email to him brings about a quick reply).

~UO

Well, I am a backer, but I back a lot of things, so I missed an update in November that said that things had indeed been pushed back - digital delivery is apparently expected in February.  Print will apparently be a month or so after that.

It's been my general expectation that everyone blows through their estimates, with few exceptions.