qbauer

Raiders of R’lyeh

qbauer

A guest article discussing “Sandboxing the Mythos” in Raiders of R’lyeh: http://raidersofrlyeh.com/cthulhu-osr/.

The design journal will cover more of this territory in the next couple weeks, including —hopefully — another guest article.

By the way, our first podcast episode was released to our mailing list, which included: an interview with entertainment artist Cliff Cramp; a discussion about “concept designing” the world of Raiders of R’lyeh; his thoughts about the current state of the entertainment industry and the role of Kickstarter; and, a walkthrough of designing and illustrating specific archetypes. I’ll be posting the podcast here as soon as I get that feed set up, most likely this week.

wombat1
A guest article discussing “Sandboxing the Mythos” in Raiders of R’lyeh: http://raidersofrlyeh.com/cthulhu-osr/.

I read this with great interest as I attempted to do something heading towards a sandbox with my Cthulhu Invictus campaign--the opening scenario was pretty well set but in due course the investigators were more or less presented with a territory in which there were several sets of bad guys and had to decide which, if any, they were going to take on and in what order. That 'if any' was the sticking point as they were busy instituting a 'meek and mild mannered investigator dry gulches a bad guy preferably when he least expects it, and the only pity is that a call of nature isn't involved,' style of play. I came to the conclusion that the sandbox has to be well, well stocked, and the geographical area large enough to plausibly contain everything.

But I find the idea described in the article fascinating--good luck with it.

GBSteve

If you've got access to the BBC you can listen to this podcast. It's a reading of the book 1913, looking at what was going to change.

qbauer
If you've got access to the BBC you can listen to this podcast. It's a reading of the book 1913, looking at what was going to change.

Great find. Thanks!

qbauer

I posted this audio interview with artist Cliff Cramp to our mailing list a week ago, but forgot to post here (until now!). In this phone interview, Cliff discusses his background, influences, involvement on Raiders of R’lyeh, development of specific Archetypes in the game, and insights about being an illustrator in today’s market.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/d/e/0/de0487a79d7cc2b2/01_RoR_Episode_001_-_Interview_With_Cliff_Cramp.mp3?c_id=5882232&expiration=1377813257&hwt=6c77d717a9c0f2a6e111f6798a0d9105

qbauer
post-9723-137675650925_thumb.jpg

Beyond01

I'm mainly interested in the system, as it stands, although the 1910 era looks like it could make an interesting variation. The RQ based mechanics are very clean and easy though, from other games I know, and it may become the system of choice in the light of 7e (which I honestly feel are a little clunky looking). 

HomoLupusDomesticus

I'm mainly interested in the system, as it stands, although the 1910 era looks like it could make an interesting variation. The RQ based mechanics are very clean and easy though, from other games I know, and it may become the system of choice in the light of 7e (which I honestly feel are a little clunky looking). 

I feel there are many reasons that will make this a very interesting release for lots of Mythos fans: the excellent artwork, the new era and setting to play in, the sandbox angle, the new rules system.

Qbauer, I recommend you guys have a look at the Renaissance system from Cakebread & Walton for this as well, but you probably already have.

christian

I see your KS is supposed to start tomorrow 26th of August. i'll dive in as soon as Rlyeh is sighted

HomoLupusDomesticus

You can count me in as well! I'll have to add though, that if the stretch goal for a print version isn't met I'm out. I aim to at least get a nice hardcover book out of it.

christian

Have some faith, man. If the stretch goal for a print version isn't met, I'll eat your shorts    ;-)

qbauer

Thanks for the support, guys. We are all praying that everyone keeps their shorts (or doesn’t eat them, or whatever shorts-related metaphor applies here).

Cakebread & Walton is on our radar, definitely.

We are roughly 7 hours away from launch (which is midnight my time, Pacific Standard Time).

HomoLupusDomesticus

As I am not yet completely clear on the exact overlap and differences between the two different rulebooks (Adventurer Guide and Raiders of R'lyeh in Gothic Black & White), I'll pledge 5 dollars to start with and up my pledge later.

I'll take any questions I have to Kickstarter.

christian
dear Quentin Bauer,

as a Call of Cthulhu Chaosium collaborator and a writer I'm very interested in RoR ;-)

I hesitate between the Art of Villainy and Art of Adventuring levels. Can you be more specific about the way "patrons" will appear: black and white sketches, color plates, etc? thank you

qbauer

@christian We'll work with you as to what you would prefer; if you want a full color image (similar to the sample archetypes), then this is possible for both villains and heroes. Layout examples will be added in an update, and I'll try to address your question visually in those updates. You will also get an idea of hero and villain types in the updates, so you can tell us what kind of character you prefer.

@homolupusdomesticus Thank you. We will be making some more updates during the launch to clarify these differences.

Thank you for the support (it cannot be said enough)!

HomoLupusDomesticus

@qbauer My main concern is, what content - including artwork, maps, props, NPCs, adventures - I may miss out on by getting the Keeper Guide and Adventurer Guide without Raiders of R'lyeh in Gothic Black and White.

qbauer

@qbauer My main concern is, what content - including artwork, maps, props, NPCs, adventures - I may miss out on by getting the Keeper Guide and Adventurer Guide without Raiders of R'lyeh in Gothic Black and White.

Without opening a Pandora’s box (because we plan to add more details about this in future updates), the Gothic Black and White edition will contain a denser set of sandbox toolkits, including dozens of adventure modules. Think of an adventure module as an expanded scenario with toolkits for playing in a region of the world, or focused on a specific type of threat. We have adventure modules taking place in the Arabian Desert, another one in Manchuria five years after the Russo-Japanese War, another one in Afghanistan, and so on.

Some of the adventure modules are designed more for investigator types, while others are geared toward adventurers seeking problems in far corners of the world. These put you in the time and place and involve a broad collection of NPCs, weapons, and politics particular to a region (as well as potential entanglements with the mythos). For example, the Arabian Desert module contains resources for whipping up Bedouin, German cavalry, Turkish infantry patrols, local archaeologists and explorers, local curators, mercenaries from all over operating in and around Aleppo and Damascus, and the weapons and equipment one would find in the area; plot seeds are provided for a central threat and its web of conspiracies; suggestions for factions are offered so that the module may be connected with a larger tapestry of politics and sorcerous plots, as well as plugged into other modules. If one needs to roll up an NPC (like a Chechen mercenary, or a Bedouin chieftan), we attach toolkits for rolling up names from a multitude of cultures and regions.

Now, to get to your question...the Keeper book contains several of these adventure modules, plus traditional scenarios for people who don’t want a sandbox, necessarily, but rather just a sourcebook for playing in the pre-War era. The Black and White book contains dozens of these modules, and includes more of these toolkits (such as name rosters for different corners and cultures of the world). There is more, but this is a huge portion of what differentiates the focus of each book.

Hope that answers your question. But, like I said, there is more coming in our updates.

HomoLupusDomesticus

@qbauer Thanks for your thorough answer. For now, I'll just add a pdf of the black and white RoR book to my pledge and keep an eye on further developments. Like I said, I will ask any other questions I may have on the Kickstarter site instead of here.

qbauer

@qbauer Thanks for your thorough answer. For now, I'll just add a pdf of the black and white RoR book to my pledge and keep an eye on further developments. Like I said, I will ask any other questions I may have on the Kickstarter site instead of here.

Please do, as others may have similar questions. And thank you so much for the support.

qbauer
We hit 30% of our funding in a day and a half, which blew past my expectations for the week. Because we got there so quickly, backers at $15 and higher get downloads of our period maps (these are hi res, some as high as 600dpi and 22 inches). I collected all these maps from various antique dealers, and some are fairly rare (from the years 1880-1910). Our first map pack and our 30% announcement is here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1375282718/raiders-of-rlyeh-horror-adventure-rpg-and-mythos-s/posts/581089

Next up, I’d love to get you guys in on the play test document. I will be getting news out about the document soon. It’s taking longer than expected because we wanted to put more into it (including an adventure template that really shows how this game is different than CoC and other mythos games). 

christian

I'm waiting to throw my money at Raiders, trying to decide ( dilemnas, dilemnas) whether I'd rather be an Adventurer or a Bad Guy.....